Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doctorxring

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006

I think a better name for this device would have been iPad Air.

That would be a more defining name and better relay it's concept.

This coming from my 6 years of Mac ownership and evolution owning
the iPod, iMac 20", iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad 1, iPad 3, and now
this iPad Mini.

iPad Mini is a very small name for a very big product. Like the iPad 1
I believe it's hype is understated and it's significance will be better
perceived as time goes by.

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I would say the iPad mini is a good name.

If it was smaller it would need to be called the iPad nano.

Compare the iPod mini to the iPod nano and you'll see why.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I quite like the name "iPad Mini" personally. I keep thinking Mini Me for some reason. :D

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
I can see iPad Air as having a tie in to the MBA, the mini is the smaller, cheaper, non retina version of the iPad to the MBA being the smaller, cheaper, non retina version of the MBPr.

Personally I agree with Dan Benjamin, they should have called it 'iPad jr'

zeqydahu.jpg

Last edited:

yourmother

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Japan
I like the way mini sounds more than nano. I understood why they changed the name iPod mini to nano as it went from conventional hds to flash but mini is a great description of the product IMHO.

iAll

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
SE NH
It would have been nice if Apple had given the 4G versions phone capability. I always said that about the iPad as well.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I think the iPad Mini will end up being just "iPad" and the big iPad will be the "iPad Pro".

You heard it here first folks...

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It's "mini" in size and weight to the bigger brothers BUT in specs it may confuse people who don't research in what actually they would be getting. Mini in specs compared to which? Misleading name IMHO.

A Mini Apple Ipad and cheaper. You know lots of folks will thrown down for it regardless never having an iPad. They will eventually find out I suppose.

Like I said elsewhere, some folks are returning the Mini thinking harder about the specs regardless of its weight and size as well as the price.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's the same vain as the iPod Mini. Apple likes continuity in their naming schemes when they can do it.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I personally really like mini. I figured Apple would settled on either iPad mini or iPad Air. It would've made sense to stay in line with the Mac line monikers as they try to fall in line with its upgrade cycle and nomenclature ("the New iPad with Retina Display"), but mini is just as great.

I actually have my iDevices in my support profile and in iTunes as Daddy Mac (MBP 15), Mini Mac (iPad mini) and Baby Mac (4S). My :apple: Family...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.