Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrz

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
To me the 5 seems more like Apple’s efforts to satisfy the greatest # of users. Might be an obvious statement, but the screen size of the 4 did not satisfy a lot of users, while a wider screen of the 5 would become too large for others. 5 is a blend- not perfect for all- but moderate or bipartisan enough to pull in users of different sides of the aisle.

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
If you want a smaller phone, there are other phones out there that you can choose from.
If you want a larger phone...well, there's Samsung xD

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I hate that the phone has this... hate that it does that... it's too much this... and not enough that...

I also question the leadership, the stock price, and Steve Jobs ghost.

What? I shouldn't own one then?

No way! Couldn't live without my iPhone 5! It's the bestest!

Sums up 99% of the "complaint" threads. People find all of the "flaws" but when push comes to shove almost no one can give up the phone.

If that's not a testament to how awesome it is, I don't know what is =).

:apple:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I actually had a female friend return the iPhone 5 primarily because she had a harder time hitting corner to corner than her previous 4 so she went to a 4S.

This was a 5'8 woman which is taller than avg here in the US. I think there is a valid point for staying long and thin for one handed operation.

That's not saying there aren't valid reason for having a larger phone like a GS3 but we cannot assume either form factor is going to be right or wrong for for the masses. It's really a personal decision.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
easy...I think the phone is great, except for the less great battery performance.

And it's not about the display size...the apps on iOS are great, the speed is brilliant, it's reliable, well manufactured, it's light...why would i care for a bigger screen in general...i was fine with 3.5"...as long as the apps work and look good.

I don't care much for the 4" screen, but it's nice to have, since i actually watch movies once in a while on it.

hopefully this whole size battling will find an end, like it did with the point and shoot cameras...who cares how many mega pixels your little camera has? it's completely pointless.

it's about ease of use and practicality.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Btw, I like the phone, just still think the screen is not wide enough, despite the attempts here to convince me otherwise. I appreciate you all putting so much time into it though. Kind of humbling.

Last edited by a moderator:

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Apple philosophy; What ever way I design and sell an item is the right and correct way, all other ways are incorrect and wrong. As what I sell changes so do the right things or ways change, I may sell what is right and correct today, and then change it to something else thereby making the newer thing right and correct and yet not undoing the correctness of the older thing. Only things not sold by me are incorrect or wrong. Understand.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I actually think the screen is a great size. 3.5 was too small and the jump to 4 isnt much but much appreciated. For me the width is just right. At some point i will need to scarifice that if i want a larger screen

Yeah, I think this is highly user dependent. I read a lot of longish texts on my phone, plus have big hands and can comfortably hold a wider phone, both reasons why I'd prefer a larger screen. But Android means lots of other compromises, such as less refined apps and overall system smoothness. So it's a hard choice.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I completely disagree. It's easier for me to hold a wider phone. How can this statement be universally true anyway, given that people's hand sizes vary by at least 20%? Sounds like fanboyism to me...

The "Fits better in your hand" argument was a way for Apple to justify making the screen longer. In reality, I don't think they wanted to disrupt their ecosystem during a time when Their competitors have caught up or even surpassed them in innovation.... ie wider screen =Significant application Redevelopement. Their ecosystem seems to be the reason many folks have decided not to give other products a go.

Last edited:

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
The "Fits better in your hand" argument was a way for Apple to justify making the screen longer. In reality, I don't think they wanted to disrupt their ecosystem during a time when Their competitors have caught up or even surpassed them in innovation.... ie wider screen =Significant application Redevelopement. Their ecosystem seems to be the reason many folks have decided not to give other products a go.

That's an interesting point. What I'm not sure about is why it would be non-distruptive to the app development to make the screen longer, but disruptive to make it wider? Do you understand this?

I have a completely unrelated question: If I want to keep both an iPhone and an Android phone can I get a second sim card to use with the same contract, so I can always have both phones on me while only paying for one contract?

Last edited:

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
a lot of you kids these days are just way TOO spoiled with all of the gadgets and smart phones on the market.

my option when i was younger was a friggin' pre loaded money card to use in a pay phone.

yeah try it out ..go stand in a dirty phone booth and use a phone that thousands of other people have touched and breathed all over. then you can complain.

anyone i know (friends & relatives) would kill to have an iPhone & not complain about its size or shape.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
a lot of you kids these days are just way TOO spoiled with all of the gadgets and smart phones on the market.

my option when i was younger was a friggin' pre loaded money card to use in a pay phone.

yeah try it out ..go stand in a dirty phone booth and use a phone that thousands of other people have touched and breathed all over. then you can complain.

anyone i know (friends & relatives) would kill to have an iPhone & not complain about its size or shape.

God you're bitter. And yes, I've been there for several decades and am not anywhere near as terrified by dirty phone booths, as well as not anywhere near as religious about smart phones.

Last edited:

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
God you're bitter. And yes, I've been there for several decades and am not anywhere near as terrified by dirty phone booths, as well as not anywhere near as religious about smart phones as you.

just saying it's a cell phone not something we need to be anal over for every scratch and dent. or complain about a half inch in size variance.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
just saying it's a cell phone not something we need to be anal over for every scratch and dent.

OK well I wholeheartedly agree with that :) At the same time these things are so much fun it is fun to imagine designing them oneself and making different choices. Don't you think?

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
OK well I wholeheartedly agree with that :) At the same time these things are so much fun it is fun to imagine designing them oneself and making different choices. Don't you think?

i'll leave the designing up to apple, and the admiring up to me. :D

i'm diggin my ip5.

plus i'm a chick so i wouldn't be too good at designing a phone. a dishwasher? maybe ...haha ;)

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
So, is it possible to keep both an iPhone and Android phone around and get an extra SIM from AT&T so they both work at all times?

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
That's an interesting point. What I'm not sure about is why it would be non-distruptive to the app development to make the screen longer, but disruptive to make it wider? Do you understand this?

Its easy to stretch the app because most apps have the controls at the top and bottom and the content in the middle so little work would be needed to be done to make an app use the 16:9 format. If you were to make the app wider almost all controls and elements would have to be remade. So in a way the move to 16:9 is a clever move by apple.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I like the iPhone 5's screen, but I can't help but feel that a few years (months?) down the line this will be another bold statement about their product that Apple sweeps under the rug.

Small tablets suck
You don't want a video iPod
We can't do a phone well
People don't need Apps
Integrated GPUs suck

Copy/Paste? Don't be lazy. Just retype it!

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
First I had the 3GS, then the 4, and then the 4S. Coming from a standard iPhone and then changing to the iPhone 5, I got used to it really fast and it feels great!

I don't know why people are in such a fuss about the new iPhone. If you don't like it, don't buy it ;)

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007

Kids these days?! Really? LOL. Thanks for the life lesson, gramps.

It's called relativity. There were generations before you who had to rely on the Pony Express. You ain't special, we ain't special, it's all relative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.