Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hello,

Wow, so many replies in such short time!
Thank you.
I am still undecided.
Today I even had a 16gb Mini with smart cover on my cart, but backed out at the last minute...
Then I went to that store and saw both...

I know that both are good products but both are also compromise products...
The ipad 4 is great in display and power, but it is a compromise on size and weight.

The Ipad mini is great in size and weight, but a compromise in power and screen...

I know both products, and their strenghts and weeknesses... But one thing is to know the spec sheet and play with the product for an hour at a store, and another thing is living with a product on a daily basis...

That is why I am struggling with this decision...
I really enjoyed the ipad 4, but I was holding it in Portrait mode with one hand and the weight started to feel after a short while. But this was with the ipad up in the air with one hand... Would I use it like that often if I owned it?
How would I use it on the couch? Or at a table? Or at a desk?
And the mini?

This are all though decisions...
I currently have the nexus 7 and I use it as a small book most of the time, but that is also because the nexus 7 is small and has that form factor in which I must use it in portrait because of the 16:10 screen... And I use it suspended in the air because I have to hold it close to my face, again because the small screen...

So, all in all, trying to make up my mind and join the IOS family...

Cheers!

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
hello to you.

It is really confusing, I was stuck at that dilemma too. Went with the ipad 4 since you can always sell it if an ipad mini with rd will ever come out and you probably won't lose a lot of money. But if you bought a mini and a mini with rd comes out, i feel like it would be harder for you to sell the mini since it is already affordable in the first place and people would just get the mini with rd too. Test it out, I've had mine for a week and it feels heavy if you hold it mid air for like 20 mins, but i usually have it on a table, my lap, my stomach, on an armrest. Take a look at your lifestyle and see if you need a device that is to be held mid air for a long period of time.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
At the gym today, I was able to handle an additional weight of five pounds each on dumbbells I usually use. A sign from the heavens I can handle the weight of a heavier iPad?

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
At the gym today, I was able to handle an additional weight of five pounds each on dumbbells I usually use. A sign from the heavens I can handle the weight of a heavier iPad?

Come on Robert, you know you wanna make the switch;). just playin' bud

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Hi gdourado,

You should get the iPad 4. Why?

You already have a small tablet, Nexus 7.
You can find ways to manage a heavier iPad, but iPad Mini screen will always look low quality.
iPad 4 has better performance.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Come on Robert, you know you wanna make the switch;). just playin' bud

It isn't cause I don't like the Mini, it is very good. I didn't want to spend the extra money on another iPad in the beginning being new to Apple but I'm floored.

The extra money this time of year is tough I can wait after returning the Mini but there is always good old plastic. How can anyone on this forum blame someone wanting something better to not go for it? It is still Apple.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hi gdourado,

You should get the iPad 4. Why?

You already have a small tablet, Nexus 7.
You can find ways to manage a heavier iPad, but iPad Mini screen will always look low quality.
iPad 4 has better performance.

Hello.
Yes, I currently have a nexus 7, but my idea was not to keep the nexus and an iPad.
So if I buy an iPad, the nexus will end up on ebay.
It is true that I wish the nexus 7 was bigger.
The 7 inch screen is good for some apps and thumb typing, but it is good mostly for phone apps.
If I want to browse the web on chrome with multiple tabs, than the screen is not that adequate. It is too narrow in portrait and too short in landscape.
That is part of the reason I want to try ios. I like android for the most part, but there are no android tablets with 4:3 screen, that I think are superior for usability of a tablet device.

To be fair, for the time I have had the nexus 7, I have used it 90% of the time in a house. Either my house, my parents house or my father in laws house. So the size of the ipad 4 might be a lesser issue.

I do find my self occasionally using the nexus while standing or walking around the house, for which the mini might be a better choice...

All in all, hard decision...

Cheers and thank you for the input.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
It isn't cause I don't like the Mini, it is very good. I didn't want to spend the extra money on another iPad in the beginning being new to Apple but I'm floored.

The extra money this time of year is tough I can wait after returning the Mini but there is always good old plastic. How can anyone on this forum blame someone wanting something better to not go for it? It is still Apple.

I agree bud! You should do whatever it is you want to do. No matter which one you choose you are still going to get to enjoy everything in the apple ecosystem. Only you can decide which device best suits your needs for doing so though...I hope I didn't upset you as I was just kidding around with you and if I did I am truly sorry...

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
The decision to choose iPad mini over iPad 4 was quite easy for me.

The size and weight of iPad mini is too big of a factor. The retina display and A6X on iPad 4 is awesome of course, but I LOVE the touch, feel and portability of iPad mini.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I had the first iPad, the iPad 2, the iPad 3, and now the Mini.

The Mini is by far my favourite iOS device i've owned, and I've owned a lot of them.

I planned to live with the iPad 3 and Mini side by decide to decide which I preffered over the first weekend.

It took my 30 minutes before the iPad 3 was on eBay.

For me, the weight makes all the difference.

Interesting, on my end i've owned the 1st gen iPad, 2nd gen, then 3rd gen. I bought the Mini and hated it due to lack of Retina. Weight is crucially important to me, but the larger and more beautiful screen is worth the extra mere one pound.

Gave my iPad Mini to my grandma and she loves it. I'll stick my 3rd gen till the Mini gets Retina in 2014. (Trust me on that)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I agree bud! You should do whatever it is you want to do. No matter which one you choose you are still going to get to enjoy everything in the apple ecosystem. Only you can decide which device best suits your needs for doing so though...I hope I didn't upset you as I was just kidding around with you and if I did I am truly sorry...

Upset me? Nah! I might take a trip to the store later to look at the 4. :D

alhavel

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Hampton Bays NY
Remember a thing called a brief case? I sure do and I just wowed them 2 times today with you-tube videos, pictures and footage from Hurricane Sandy of all the damage where they were all standing. I think I really want a 4 I have a 2 would not even consider a "mini" as of yet. This is lighter than the damn case and packs a whammy too. Above all I am a living cripple of an accident that has left me some what paralyzed from the neck down. I bought the 2 just to entertain myself, it's made me money, and saved a lot of equipment damage, people with no computer knowledge are instantly floored [there are still some of them] trouble is were all too spoiled, and I like it like that.

NOAA, and FEMA, both left a buzzed, I couldn't resist showing off the pictures [on the pad] and the exact location of impact that changed my life. Took home an A+ on presentation, content, and substance. Not bad for a dirt bag fisherman-welder-mechanic-living miracle. This thing is my memory, presentation and office, where ever I go I take the iPhone, iPad, or at home with the iMac. I finally have everything where, and how I want it when I want it. Do I mend the weight? Absolutely NOT!!!! The screen however [gotta bitch] is becoming a tad blurry to me I'm so easily spoiled, really gonna look at a 4, besides I can move the 2 to the workshop in the basement, where I really need it.:D

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Get the iPad 4 i am having a great time with mine. It depends what you want it for. If its games and productivity (pages, photoshop, imovie etc) the 4 is miles ahead due to its power and screen size. The 4 is also future proof to run smoothly for 4 years due to its specs while the mini might start laggin in a few years. The only thing the mini has going for it is the portability. It has no retina which is so easily distinguishable. Retina is what makes the ipad so good and useful for pages and reading on the web/books. It really comes down to portability vs everything else the ipad 4 has/the mini doesn't have.

hawon

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
Stop listening to others and make your mind. Once you dot hat stick with I and enjoy what you have. Its always greener on the other side.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Maybe Apple store shouldn't line up the mini next to Ipad 4. Put them on different corner so that people have to run back and forth to compare the screen :)

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
so just because they say so that makes it a fact?

They also indicate why, which is not their opinion. Had you taken the time to read the review, you'd know this....well most people would. To keep us even, I up-voted my own post.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The size and weight I'm not sure how much it could make a big difference in one's hand compared to bigger brothers. I have 7" andriod tablets and it is what I'm accustomed to more so than bigger tablets so the allure of the Mini.

Grant it, the Mini is more portable and less awkward so to speak to hold but the bigger ones aren't bricks.

Problem is liking the apple ecosystem after trying it, do I really want to keep the Mini rather than go to a more updated better bigger brother? Yes the size and weight is nice of the Mini BUT......

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
...Problem is liking the apple ecosystem after trying it, do I really want to keep the Mini rather than go to a more updated better bigger brother? Yes the size and weight is nice of the Mini BUT......

But there's nothing the bigger iPad can do/run the Mini can't. Your participation in the Apple ecosystem will not be impacted.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
But there's nothing the bigger iPad can do/run the Mini can't. Your participation in the Apple ecosystem will not be impacted.

Not speed navigating or downloading? How about watching letterboxed videos? How about the sound quality of the speakers? I didn't really like the portrait mode viewing web pages on the Mini and having to use a different browser to enlarge the font.

Just a few I have some concerns with the Mini. Maybe not the ecosystem itself overall but my experience with things I like to do would be enhanced is my thinking going to the 3rd or 4th gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.