Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India
Hey friends, if I buy an iPhone 5 on contract from AT&T/Verizon and unlock it fron eBay, will it be a legal process? Do I have to return my phone to the respective company after unlocking it from eBay? And is it a safe process? Will my unlocked phone work in India? I am little bit worried about unlocking procedure of iPhone 5 from eBay therefore I am asking this.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Not sure if it's "legal" but you can unlock the AT&T iPhone 5 via EMEI unlock through eBay. The Verizon iPhone 5 already comes unlocked.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
No it's not illegal to get your phone unlocked on eBay. I received my phone last week and got it unlocked on eBay.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
It's legal as far as I know, and if it's illegal, then the law is stupid. It's your phone, you paid however much the phone company or Apple wanted you to pay for it. And what's protecting the carrier's subsidy is the contract, not the fact that it's locked. It is I submit highly more illegal what the carriers are doing by locking the phone in the first place than it is for you to unlock it.

And yes Ebay works just fine. You'll get your unlock code usually within 24 hours. Done.

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Well with the new law starting Jan 1st no 3rd party can unlock iPhones so I would jump on it now.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I know the Verizon is unlocked! I sold one of mine to a buddy who ses t-mobile and he bought a sim cutter and cut it down and it worked like a charm. He's in love and I made 50 bucks! ;)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yes the online unlocks work. Also you would only need to unlock the AT&T model; the Verizon iPhone is already unlocked.

Augustine864

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2013
I think it applies witch I think the government is BS. Will have to wait and see what happens after the new year.

So is this still valid or no? Can I "buy an unlock code" on eBay to unlock my recently purchased iPhone5? I will be leaving the country for school on August 10 and I'm not sure if ATT will unlock my phone at that point. One customer service rep told me 90 days, (I will have about 58 on contract before I leave), but on one of their webpages it says only 60.

Am I allowed to go the eBay route?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
So is this still valid or no? Can I "buy an unlock code" on eBay to unlock my recently purchased iPhone5? I will be leaving the country for school on August 10 and I'm not sure if ATT will unlock my phone at that point. One customer service rep told me 90 days, (I will have about 58 on contract before I leave), but on one of their webpages it says only 60.

Am I allowed to go the eBay route?

Yes you can. It's up to you to decide to flout the law. I would.

Augustine864

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2013
Yes you can. It's up to you to decide to flout the law. I would.

I'm a total noob so please excuse me. I mean, does AT&T "know" when this happens? Do their senses tingle and they say, "Red alert! Something nefarious is afoot!", and then yell at me?

Will they, (or anyone), be able to tell?

And is this illegal according to the new law? I feel like eBay would crack down on that if it were... They are pretty strict.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm a total noob so please excuse me. I mean, does AT&T "know" when this happens? Do their senses tingle and they say, "Red alert! Something nefarious is afoot!", and then yell at me?

Will they, (or anyone), be able to tell?

And is this illegal according to the new law? I feel like eBay would crack down on that if it were... They are pretty strict.

Nope, they don't care much.
You will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.