Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pianoman0018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hello
i own a home studio and i want to upgrade my gear cause im using a macbook pro 15 2008
for using programmes like pro tools, logic and faster samples loading etc witch of the 2 machines are better for me?

thanks

Malte.

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Sweden
I think we need to know the budget here. If you got no limits, i see no reason to Not go for a highend 27" iMac.

masterofstr3

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
Think well before choosing

I had the same question, but after compairing these 2 i was clear as glass for me. If you want to put kind of the same thing in your mac mini than in the standard Imac the diffrence isnt even huge but you are missing the screen here. But it is not mobile and the mac mini is. So i think you have to overthink that before you choose.

How mobile should your pc be?

Malte.

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Sweden
the budjet must not exceed 1200 euro
thanks

Then the answer is simple i guess, imac's start at 1.349€.
Get the mac mini with i7 2.3ghz for 829€ and a nice monitor, later on you can get more ram installed an maybe add another monitor (guess screen-space is nice to have when running those apps?).
I can personally recommend Dell u2412m.

Pianoman0018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Then the answer is simple i guess, imac's start at 1.349€.
Get the mac mini with i7 2.3ghz for 829€ and a nice monitor, later on you can get more ram installed an maybe add another monitor (guess screen-space is nice to have when running those apps?).
I can personally recommend Dell u2412m.

well i can give up to 1400 ...i thought the new imacs starting from 1200 thats why i said 1200..but the thing is the cheap imac is better than the mini?cause if i had the money i would go for the top imac and case closed.. or a mac pro
btw thanks for the screen recommendation :)

----------

How mobile should your pc be?[/QUOTE]

well i dont mind mobility its not my first concern..my concern is efficiency

Malte.

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Sweden
well i can give up to 1400 ...i thought the new imacs starting from 1200 thats why i said 1200..but the thing is the cheap imac is better than the mini?cause if i had the money i would go for the top imac and case closed.. or a mac pro
btw thanks for the screen recommendation :)

----------

How mobile should your pc be?

well i dont mind mobility its not my first concern..my concern is efficiency

What country are you in? i checked the prices in germany.
If you would go for the basic imac, you you would have to get the 16gb ram from apple (probably a 200eur upgrade) because you cant install that later. That brings the up the price to over 1500€ for the imac.

I hope someone with experience from logic and apps like that can join the thread..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.