Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vanzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
While I plug the iPhone to charge, I glide my finger tips on the back side of the iphone and get a tingle feeling. When I unplug the charger it doesn't have that feeling. Does anyone have this issue?

Reactions: Tom Edison

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
While I plug the iPhone to charge, I glide my finger tips on the back side of the iphone and get a tingle feeling. When I unplug the charger it doesn't have that feeling. Does anyone have this issue?

Its fine. You are just more sensitive to electromagnetic currents than others are.

Vanzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Electromagnetic current is exactly how it feels. No vibration.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I get the same thing when I plug into my dock. Are you using the official Apple charger? It shouldn't be normal if it is with the official Apple charger, take it to the Apple store if there is one nearby would be my suggestion.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I get the same thing when I plug into my dock. Are you using the official Apple charger? It shouldn't be normal if it is with the official Apple charger, take it to the Apple store if there is one nearby would be my suggestion.

This is true. You shouldn't feel anything when plugged into the wall with the out of the box apple wall adaptor

Vanzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Yes I am using the official apple charger that came in the box. It's only the matte part of the back of the phone I feel it. I will probably take it to the apple store but just wanted to see if anyone has the same thing.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Yes I am using the official apple charger that came in the box. It's only the matte part of the back of the phone I feel it. I will probably take it to the apple store but just wanted to see if anyone has the same thing.

Sounds like the aluminium is carrying a charge. Which shouldn't be happening. I am very sensitive to the electro-whatevertheycallit and never feel it with my friend's iphone 5 plugged into their wall charger even though as I mentioned feel it on my 4S when in the dock (along the antenna band around the sides).

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I get the same thing. Thought the back of my phone was dirty at first till I unplugged it and it felt fine.

Only happens if plugged into the mains also not if by USB.

anvikapur

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012

may be due to current it might have happened

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
When i still had my Powerbook G4 17", i would bring it to work sometimes, and when i plugged it into a particular outlet, you could feel the body do this very weak buzz like its electrocuting you. The IT guy said it was probably a poorly grounded electrical outlet. I dont know how true that was though.

Aug 5, 2012
Return asap... Could set on fire or explode like some users have seen with a faulty battery

A.D.J.

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
I get this sensation when touching any metal cased electrical item that is plugged in. Its like a slight vibrating sensation when rubbing my finger over the metal. Hold my finger still or switch the power off and the sensation stops. Its nothing to worry about. Just means you have super human powers :D

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
UK
Used to get this on my 3GS around the metal band when I took it abroad and used an adaptor so that I could still use it with my UK plug. Never felt it though when I was charging it from a proper UK wall outlet though. And I haven't felt it on my 5, haven't taken my 5 abroad yet though.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
This is completely normal... As you might know, aluminium carries current :). This happens with a MacBook Pro as well when it is plugged in & not grounded. Hold the phone in your hand and do the same, you won't feel it... Put it facedown and do the same thing you will feel it, because the current hasn't a place to go except through your fingers :)

fabiettomac

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Italy
i get this feeling everytime i have an aluminum mac connected to the power source. it happens with my alu imac, with my ex macbook alu and with my 2 airs, everytime. it's like a very soft electrical vibe

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
I am on my 3rd replacement and this one doesn't do that. All the other one's I've had have a very strong electromagnetic current when plugged in.

It's so strong anyone can feel it.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Happens all the time for me on all my apple devices. It was less noticable in the UK where (I'm guessing this is the reason) there is an earth point on the plugs, but in China now it's particularly noticable. You're device is fine, as others have said it's just your body naturally conducting.

I've found the amount varies for me a bit in China too, but I think that's more to do with the poor quality of their electricity infrastructure causing peaks and troughs.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
lol the same happened when my macbook pro was brandnew, it always gave me a tingling feeling touching the lid but it eventually stopped after a few months. maybe its the same thing happening on the iPhone 5

Philippahartley

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Totally. First noticed a current feeling when plugged into hifi. Assumed it was to do with the wrong lead etc. just noticed it again tonight when charging as normal. No one else can feel it. Tried it on others and I can still feel it. WE ARE XMEN (and women) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.