Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
Compare launch title current gen games to recent current gen games; theres a huge difference. Then compare a modern next gen gaming system (a high end PC) to a modern console game. There is little difference beyond tessellation, higher res textures. The only thing the next console gen will bring will be that - plus initial support for 4k. That's hardware though, services is where next gen will shine.

This. I beleive we're start to approach the fabled plateau of diminishing returns in regards to graphic fidelity. While I'm not saying we're anywhere near the best we're gonna get yet, from here on out, the jumps are going to be less spectacular than they were before. The jump to the PS4 won't floor everyone quite like the upgrade from the PS2 to the PS3, and won't be anywhere nearly as huge as the jump from the PS1 to the PS2.

Just look at the new Metal Gear Solid game coming out. It's got the obvious and usual current gen CG effects going on (overabundance of shiny as hell speculars), but it's already shockingly close to photo realistic as it is. What can they do to improve upon that? Supply more GPU power to push a higher polycount and better effects? It'll make things smoother and nicer looking, but it won't be a night and day difference compared to what it is now. More CPU power to process high end graphic effects like radiosity bounce? Yeah, that'll make for much more subtle, realistic lighting, but...once again...it won't be a huge difference. There isn't as much room for huge sweeping changes in the graphics department these days.

The biggest changes will be in concerns to how much they can push onscreen. Like imagine that one scene in Skyrim where you're supposed to be taking part in some supposedly huge battle. Imagine how much better it'd be if there were 15,000 little solders onscreen, rather than the 20 or so we were shown in the game. That's what this next generation is going to be about.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I plan to get iPad Minis for my 3 kids for Christmas. Cost: about $1,000.

At a recent neighborhood party I was talking to a woman who commented on the kids' room (the 'great room' was the kids's playroom).

She said "so many things - and they all depend on imagination rather than batteries".

Your gifts won't be that high on the "imagination" scale, but they will feature high capacity batteries.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Your gifts won't be that high on the "imagination" scale, but they will feature high capacity batteries.

Not understanding the resistance to integrating technology into the process of bringing up your children. Hating on apps likes Team Umizoomi is ridiculous when these apps provide an interactive method of learning that supplements the lessons they are learning in school.:confused:

JohnnyW2001

Suspended
Nov 6, 2012
So who didn't bother to read the news article properly? This ISN'T a list of what kids want for Christmas, it's a list of what CONSUMER ELECTRONICS they want for Christmas. Kind of a big difference.

with American kids aged 6-12 generally more interested in the latest iOS offerings than other consumer electronics and gaming devices.

----------

I guess I raised my kids better.
The louder they cried about wanting something, the less interested I was in getting it for them.

They always hear the same two words from me.
Earn it.
Show me straight A's for an entire school year.
Clean up after yourself without having to be told to do it 50 times.
Save your allowance money and buy it yourself.

The list goes on.

Howling about wanting an expensive toy in my house is a sure fire way to get nothing.

Um, you're trusting something you read on MacRumours?

1. This is actually a list ONLY of consumer electronics. Nothing else.
2. This kids surveyed were simply asked: Which electronic or gaming device most interests you?

This isn't a list of what kids are demanding for Christmas.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
Thank you parents for what they did, they gave you tools in the end and that made you want to learn and "create" :) thats what im trying to say (english not my native).

Anyway i agree with that and never forced/wanted to force the opinion more like just give an idea, in the end its not my job anyway.

Cheers.

Great to hear. I agree. And if an iPad is to ever be a child or young adult's tool for creating and learning, not just consuming, they need to see their parents and peers using it for such a purpose as well. Of course if your kid wants some Legos or paint and brush that works too. 2yr and 5yr olds make awful messes though when your back is turned. Happy Thanksgiving.

----------

I guess you could do HDMI to the big screen and that would work. I still think Apple should use that huge cash pile and try the console market. They could get $499 at the start, maybe lose a shade over a hundred if they swing for the fences. That also puts iTunes under a lot of sets if it took off. I have no doubts the interface would be good.

Latest Apple TV box does 1080p over airplay now, so you don't need to connect a cable or anything. The adapter cable for HDMI is kind of expensive, so just buy Apple TV instead of adapter.

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
WOW. 6-12 year olds want a $500 toy. Who woulduh thunk it.

And the other group is naturally 13 to infinity. That is always the way of it. I remember in school wanting to be in the infinity group but I was only 12 at the time. Dang.

This is a flat out silly story bordering on corrupt. WOW.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
You guys are some bitter people. You people don't remember what it's like to be kid do you?

These kids were asked a question and gave an answer and you people sit here and call them little entitled jerks.

It's the holidays for ****s sake, this is supposed to be the time of year you think of ridiculous things you want as a child.

I hope you people aren't as cold hearted in real life as you are on here, because honestly I can't see any of you could raise well adjusted children.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
I guess I raised my kids better.
The louder they cried about wanting something, the less interested I was in getting it for them.

They always hear the same two words from me.
Earn it.
Show me straight A's for an entire school year.
Clean up after yourself without having to be told to do it 50 times.
Save your allowance money and buy it yourself.

The list goes on.

Howling about wanting an expensive toy in my house is a sure fire way to get nothing.

So, basically you're an a**hole parent. Let your kids live a little. Seriously, do you have a giant Ayn Rand poster above your bed or something?

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Compare launch title current gen games to recent current gen games; theres a huge difference. Then compare a modern next gen gaming system (a high end PC) to a modern console game. There is little difference beyond tessellation, higher res textures. The only thing the next console gen will bring will be that - plus initial support for 4k. That's hardware though, services is where next gen will shine.

No true at all. Game sizes aren't limited by the medium. Even games like Skyrim, Oblivion etc, don't take up a full DVD9 let alone a Bluray. PC exclusives have the option of being unlimited, but they're not.

It sort of is true (I work in console game development). New processes and techniques occur very late into console cycles. One thing Halo 4 did that previous games didn't was to process only what the player sees, where previously it would process around a radius and a long distance infront. All these little things to hammer out the last bit of performance. Uncharted 3 improves upon 2, Halo 4 looks better than Gears 2, etc.

If you want bleeding edge then get a PC. Console games are never about amazing graphics, their selling point is how easy it is to get into the game, about sitting back with a TV and exclusive titles.

PC games are and will never be optimized for the system though. Consoles is where most of the $$$ is so the industry moves with them. And limited RAM does have an impact where a larger game could utilize more resources.

Consoles used to be 5 years like clockwork. So after year 4 when the PC was making the console architecture look old, we were looking at a new one. I am 100% sure the new ones will make the current games look old just as what happens every gen. I can look at Uncharted, or Gears and see lots of areas and textures that I am sure when I look back will look like crap in comparison.

That industry isn't even close to reaching it's max potential. I guarantee the 720/P4 will have people in awe again. No doubt about it. Cliff B and other devs have spoken about the benefits of next gen already, EPIC even showed a demo and it blew away the stuff we have now.

Uncharted 4 on the PS4 and Halo 5 on the 720... going to look amazing and crap over the predecessors.

About the medium:
Game sizes are limited by medium as well if you can't install it. You can install XBOX games but they keep stuff at 7 gigs and 1 disk preferably because not every console shipped with a hard drive. If it was a 15 gig disk per say then the dev. could use the space for sound enhancement, or not having to compress as heavily, or higher res textures in spots, etc...

Blu ray on the P3 is gimped by the drive speed. And that system has no install option. Games have been able to take some advantage still. Again on both sides that RAM is the biggest hurdle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
PC games are and will never be optimized for the system though. Consoles is where most of the $$$ is so the industry moves with them. And limited RAM does have an impact where a larger game could utilize more resources.
That's true. But engines are now scaleable and multiplatform, something as hugely impressive as Rockstar's engines on PC look incredible (and take up 50gb!), but the console versions look considerably worse, but it's all coming from the same code. Unreal Engine 4's real time demos show what we should expect from modern PC's and what the next gen consoles will launch next year/the year later.

That industry isn't even close to reaching it's max potential. I guarantee the 720/P4 will have people in awe again. No doubt about it. Cliff B and other devs have spoken about the benefits of next gen already, EPIC even showed a demo and it blew away the stuff we have now.
Definitely. But the differences are going to be smaller and smaller with the current hardware we have (1080p 2D displays). Once you have realism achieved at those levels, the only way is getting that at 4k, 3D, etc. There will always be improvements as long as the tech we use to experience those games changes.

Uncharted 4 on the PS4 and Halo 5 on the 720... going to look amazing and crap over the predecessors.
Depends. Halo 3 looks a bit better than Halo 2, but the biggest leap is Halo 3 to Halo 4 and that's within a generation. Which you can blame on rushing 3 and having the benefit of highly optimised code for 4.

Game sizes are limited by medium as well if you can't install it. You can install XBOX games but they keep stuff at 7 gigs and 1 disk preferably because not every console shipped with a hard drive. If it was a 15 gig disk per say then the dev. could use the space for sound enhancement, or not having to compress as heavily, or higher res textures in spots, etc...
Depends what you mean by game size. If you mean the size of the data, of course you'll be able to fit more onto higher capacity media. But if you mean the size of the game (game length, map size), that isn't being limited by media size. Look at the Oblivion games; each successor's map is smaller than the predecessor.
On a design note you can't make something big for the sake of being big either. Locations need to be memorable, exciting, etc.

Blu ray on the P3 is gimped by the drive speed. And that system has no install option. Games have been able to take some advantage still. Again on both sides that RAM is the biggest hurdle.
The PS3 does have install options per game.
Ram is now a big problem on all systems.

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
Which is exactly why I DON'T want one thank you very much. Surface for me (and us business folk).

I have an iPad but I want the Surface too. I tried Win8 on my Mac but I really don't have enough memory. I think the way to go is the Surface rather than Bootcamp on RAM limited Mac. My Mac is too old to add sufficient RAM so I think I need to upgrade to the new Mac. :)

I need to read some impartial reviews on the Surface before I splurge.

xdxdaustin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut, United States
Any family that buys an iPad for their 6-year old kid deserves to have their tax bracket doubled. Because, clearly, they have more money than they know what to do with.

No, thats not for you to decide. Its their hard-earned money and they deserve to spend it on what ever they want and to stimulate our economy, not to hand it to the government.

rendevouspoo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
I've got to hand it to Apple marketing. Most kids want to be in the 'in-crowd,' therefore they want the coolest things that supposedly up their popularity. In todays world, you're not hip unless you have an iPad, iPhone, or an iPod.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
Ps3 + xbox360= 6y+ old.....

Plus i dont think the console gamers care too much for ipad games mate.

only cause there is no proper controller for the good ones

----------

Well i got a ipad 2, iphone 4s and 3 macs yet i feel sorry for you :( seems your in love with a brand.....

umm you have a low rez ipad 2 with 500 mbs of ram??lol... ii feel sorry for you cause my ipad 3 has retina a 1 GB of ram

----------

Eh...I'm not so sure about that. The GPU maybe, but I doubt the A6 can match the PPCs in the Xbox, and the funky 10 core thing the PS3 has for pure processing power.

Based on the admittedly very little I know about it, I'd peg the iPad 4 out as more powerful than the PS Vita, but not quite up there with the PS3 just yet.

----------

I am rubber you are glue? Really? Your rapier wit wounds my soul.

bench marks were taken already and and it has been proven that the PS3 can move more pixels the PS3 and xbox and the ipad3 even double what the ipad3 does. PS3 has 500mbs of old slow ram also ipads have 1gb

----------

Yeah but it is a tablet, I like my 55 inch big screen to play teh games on. Sad a tablet has more horsepower than those. I mean I get they lose I think around 250-300$$?? at launch on the consoles and they need to make that back, but 7-8 years kind of sucks for those of us who want things more modern on that front.

2013 is guaranteed though. *rock sign*

ipad 3 and 4 out put pure 1080p to any HD tv with ease... all apple needs is a proper controller for the damn thing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.