Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
The SimplyGames (UK) workaround not only sounds sketchy, but also unfair to Aspyr, who ported the game to Mac. I think we should support Mac gaming by supporting Mac developers.

If you're interested in a more "legitimate" deal, try the MacUpdate sale for $44.99.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/46067/borderlands-2

It isn't a workaround - it is a shoparound. It is a perfectly legit purchase.

Those who don't shop around deserve to pay RRP.

:D

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Bought the game when it game out and activated it on Steam, playing under Windows (Boot Camp).

Came home today and was glad to find that it has the same Steam AppID, so I was just able to install it and I was good to go. Save games use Steam Cloud, so no dealing with that. Golden Keys (22!) were tied to my SHiFT Account, so I had those once I logged in to SHiFT.

Just had to adjust some settings, and I was good to go. There is a framerate hit compared to Windows (was running 1920x1080, 4x FSAA, 16XAF, everything on high), but that's about it.

This is always what peeves me about OSX gaming. The same game typically runs BETTER on Windows under Bootcamp than in native OSX. So I have to denigrate my MBP into a Windows laptop for best gaming performance.

gazzared

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
Is this likely to appear in the mac app store as well? It's just I have some iTunes vouchers burning a hole in my pocket. The first one was, so was hoping the sequel would be as well.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
I had similar problems with the first Borderlands in OS X. Had to turn off a lot of effects even on very high end hardware. Even then performance was only decent.

I'd say it's time for Apple to put some investments (money) in game performance on OS X. Give Nvidia and AMD the resources they need to make the drivers in OS X perform closer to Windows. I can understand that it might be too much to ask it be on par, since Microsoft focused a lot on DirectX with the Xbox, and drivers are being developed at a much faster pace for Windows. But still, I think the performance difference between OS X compared to Windows for the same game on the same hardware is too big.

Apple should just licence DirectX

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
This is always what peeves me about OSX gaming. The same game typically runs BETTER on Windows under Bootcamp than in native OSX. So I have to denigrate my MBP into a Windows laptop for best gaming performance.

PC and Windows is definitely better for gaming. Personally I'd just have a dedicated gaming machine. They don't cost much to build these days if you don't want the latest and greatest

badsandwich

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
Is this likely to appear in the mac app store as well? It's just I have some iTunes vouchers burning a hole in my pocket. The first one was, so was hoping the sequel would be as well.

Yes, later on. But you won't be able to do co-op with people with the Steam version.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
It's currently on sale on Steam for $45.

Yeah, friggin hell! I just paid 59.99 not twelve hours ago and now it's 44.99. WTF.

Still, I also got the Mechromancer pack for another 9.99. To hell with this thing called money. It's a friggin' awesome (and funny) game!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
If you buy it through steam, you get access to both the OS X and Windows version for the same purchase.

A friend has been playing it on a reasonably crappy gaming PC her built for it and other Windows only games - he bougth through steam and it showed up in his OS X steam client last night as available and free for him to download.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
It's currently on sale on Steam for $45.

Some advice for you and others on the Steam sales.

Never buy anything until the last day unless it is on a daily special. The way the sale operates is you have discounts for the entire sale period. Selected items are discounted even further for the flash and daily sales.

For example Game A might be 25% off for the entire sale but on day 2 is available at 75% off.

Game A will be available at 25% off until the last minute of the sale. If you hold off until last day of the sale you maximise your chances of it coming up as a special.

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Belgium
retina macbook pro

It runs best with everything set to the max, except anisotropic filtering. resolution 1440x900. Can't go any higher.
If I lower the graphics, it's unplayable slow. Weird problem.

any thoughts?

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
I just got this on steam.....Wow what an intro...and it's teflon smooth at full resolution on my 2011 iMac. Finally quality titles on os x.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The spec version has nothing to do with how 'fast' the implementation is.

Fair enough. But whatever is letting gaming performance down on OS X... they need to sort it somehow. I wonder if its the ports that are shoddy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.