Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bostonburnsy

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
MacMall Retail Stores

For those who live in L.A. and Chicago, you may not know it but MacMall has retail stores there. You can get great deals in person and not have to wait for delivery! The one in Chicago is also having raffle prizes like MacBook Air, Mac mini, and AppleTV on Friday. If you're in those cities, it's worth checking out. Seems like most people don't know they now have retail stores.

http://www.macmall.com/n/Macmall-Retail-Store-Chicago-Illinois-Mac-Apple/macCustomPages-4892

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
For those who live in L.A. and Chicago, you may not know it but MacMall has retail stores there. You can get great deals in person and not have to wait for delivery! The one in Chicago is also having raffle prizes like MacBook Air, Mac mini, and AppleTV on Friday. If you're in those cities, it's worth checking out. Seems like most people don't know they now have retail stores.

http://www.macmall.com/n/Macmall-Retail-Store-Chicago-Illinois-Mac-Apple/macCustomPages-4892

That also means if you but online from them you get to pay taxes :(.

Not that it really matters for most items these are the same sale prices they have all the time.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
The computer was originally not for work as I didn't require it but as time has gone on I am using it more and more for that. I have access to clusters but it is often more convenient to run trial test with wide deltas to get an idea for how efficient and effective a program/design is, hence the need for an upgrade.

And no, I do not require Final Cut in my aeronautical work, that is for leisure, however I do require large MATLAB and CAD simulations involving potentially [>10^6 x >10^6] matrices.

Aeronautical work !

I never would have guessed that. Hats off to ya buddy. And for the love of god....Get a better system LOL

May I suggest waiting until April for the new Mac Pro ? You really don't need a laptop for heavy work. It will never have the power you require

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Black Friday? Please, that's called Internet shopping every day of the year. The only reason to go buy stuff from a retail store is if it's too large to buy online with cheap shipping, if you want some kind of store-refurbished item, or if you want the experience of employees helping you with your shopping. The latter isn't going to happen on Black Friday.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Oh I don't think you would get away with a special black shopping day in the UK! our laws are far too stringent and correct.

CH34P3T

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Target has a $60 gift card with iPad 4 purchase. You can also take an extra 5% off if you have a RedCard.

JoeSixPack

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2008
----------

[/COLOR]
Black Friday? Please, that's called Internet shopping every day of the year. The only reason to go buy stuff from a retail store is if it's too large to buy online with cheap shipping, if you want some kind of store-refurbished item, or if you want the experience of employees helping you with your shopping. The latter isn't going to happen on Black Friday.

"the experience of employees helping you with your shopping."

Now, that's funny, thanks I needed that laugh!

----------

I hope all of you who buy a big-ticket item without paying sales tax and then fail to pay use tax on said item get audited.

All these posts complaining about the inadequacy of the sellers discounts when really should be protesting that the sales/use tax rates are too high.

shahr04360

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2007
GMT+8
1. MacMall online can't be access from overseas since yesterday.
2. Apple Store Oz is down and updating now.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Lots of people bitching about this. :confused: So you don't like money off deals. They don't have to lower their prices at all, surely its a bonus that they do.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I'm curious about your comment. How did you come to this understanding.

I would think that if I said "I'll see you on Friday at midnight" It would be clear that I meant Friday night.

Technically midnight is 0:00 And that is the morning. Friday 11:59pm is the last minute of friday evening before saturday morning midnight 0:00

Sir Holmes

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
221B Baker St.
Lots of people bitching about this. :confused: So you don't like money off deals. They don't have to lower their prices at all, surely its a bonus that they do.

Yes, they don't have lower prices, but I am fully entitled to sneer at them when they discount a $1500 machine by $100 and act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I purchased my 27" iMac on sale from Apple on Black Friday 2009 just after it was launched - - so the expectation is hardly unprecedented.

THIS. So much this. I have been checking Apple's website regularly since the iMac announcement. Why can't I at least pre-order a new iMac? Don't give me this "Available in November" crap, Apple, just shut up and take my money!

caughtintheweb

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011
$100 is a big amount for a lot of us whether you compare that to 499 or compare it to 1500, it does not matter.

----------

Yes, they don't have lower prices, but I am fully entitled to sneer at them when they discount a $1500 machine by $100 and act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

THIS. So much this. I have been checking Apple's website regularly since the iMac announcement. Why can't I at least pre-order a new iMac? Don't give me this "Available in November" crap, Apple, just shut up and take my money!

$100 is a big amount for a lot of us whether you compare that to 499 or compare it to 1500, it does not matter.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

That's marketing and $100 is still $100 however you look at it its almost a 7% price cut. These products are selling well even without discounts so be thankful they are offering anything off at all.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I do require large MATLAB and CAD simulations involving potentially [>10^6 x >10^6] matrices.

Assuming each cell is holding a floating point value (4 bytes), your data structure would be 4TB. I know you don't have 4TB of RAM, so processing would require virtual memory to overcome. Assuming you have 3GB RAM, that leaves, um, 3,997GB of data for virtual memory to handle. Do you have a 4TB hard drive in your 2008 MBP?

I'm not doubting you, I'd just really like to know how you're doing this.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Forget the "discounts" ... Here in the UK I went into Apple reseller and looked for a equivalent replacement MacBook to get for the missus' White MacBook which cost us about £700 four years ago. £1000? For a half gig hard drive? I never realised how bad the line up is. Shockingly bad value. Apple stuff was always a bit more expensive than PC equivalents. But you could justify the extra layout for the quality and its OS. Now "New Apple" (post Jobs) truly have missed the boat now. Far too many models. Far too expensive. And reduced features (like tiny flash drives combined with no DVD drives- for MORE cash) means I think we regrettably will be going with Mr.Gates next time round. Terrible..

The spontaneous halo effect of the iPhone and iPods will be lost unless New Apple get back on track and stop ripping people off like this. There's justified loyalty and there's blind, naive stupidity. And folks these days have more sense than cash- at least Id like to think so :-(

bostonburnsy

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Complain, Complain, Complain

I realize this is an Internet forum and therefore the default home of complaining, but wow guys. This is an APPLE forum, you should all be well aware that there is little margin for companies on Apple products as well as the fact that most places NEVER sell Apple products for less. What were you expecting, half off? iPads for $20? Buy one get one free? Do your shopping in an alley and enjoy the painted block of wood you get.

And the constant whining about taxes - enough already. Vote if you don't like your taxes. Complain to your state, most of whom are changing tax laws to require tax be paid to them even if the retailer doesn't exist in the state (see Amazon) and stop blaming the store for charging tax.

These posts are telling people options, and the chance to find a way to save maybe just a little bit more. Every penny counts today. In case you haven't read the news, most retailers are suffering badly the last few years and many of these deals are money-losers just trying to salvage the year. If you don't think it's a great deal, don't buy it. But you're ignorant of facts if you think they should be giving products away for even less.

I guess I'm crazy for thinking a Forum could be home to useful comments, not just cranky whiners yelling "First!" and complaining about reality not being fair enough.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.