Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Rethinking the App Switcher for the iPhone 5 (mockups) *UPDATE: In development!*

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/4/3451322/rethinking-the-app-switcher-for-the-iphone-5-mockups

iOS_20iP5_20Preview_20sss444_medium.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------A Concept to Improve Notifications and rid iOS of its 'Legacy' UI (mockups)

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/21/3489174/a-concept-to-improve-notifications-and-rid-ios-of-its-legacy-ui

iOS has been around for over five years now, and in the time between its '07 reveal (alongside the iPhone) and now, it has changed a lot. Some things, however, have stood the test of time by going unaltered after six major dot iterations. That isn't necessarily a bad thing; rounded squares for app icons make just as much sense now as they did in '07, for example. But for other aspects of iOS, the exact opposite can be said.

http://f.cl.ly/items/3y2H0t292F163M3d2Y1c/Pop-Up Alert Message Test Mockup.mov

Quick_20Reply_20Notification_20Alert_medium.png

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Look the longer apps in the fast app switcher.

Don't expect to see toggles for Wifi/BT/Cellular coming. Apple's view is likely that network interfaces are supposed to have a persistent connection and not be micro-managed by the user.

Like the audio controls being neatly done below rather than up high on the screen.

Apple likely wouldn't have so much empty space in those aluminium notifications. I realize this is a mockup but the main header area for text and space around but buttons is fairly wasteful imo.

Last edited:

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Don't expect to see toggles for Wifi/BT/Cellular coming. Apple's view is likely that network interfaces are supposed to have a persistent connection and not be micro-managed by the user.

Then Apple's view is stupid and they've never attempted to live in the UK where every third router is a http redirect gateway that otherwise looks unprotected.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Liking the quick reply for messages.
But please, leave the UI as is. It's fine.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
I really like the feature to have all the network buttons in the app switcher dock. I would use it all the time and currently turn off and on my networks manually very often myself. I hope the feature is not exclusive to the iPhone 5.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I'm seriously loving these little touches. One of the first mockups that looks like something Apple would seriously do. Also, it really makes sense to utilize the larger screen space the iPhone 5 offers. I'm kind of surprised they didn't do something like this since launch. And Apple...ALL I want in the app switching tray is a brightness slider like the iPad and I'll be one content customer.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Then Apple's view is stupid and they've never attempted to live in the UK where every third router is a http redirect gateway that otherwise looks unprotected.

Doesn't the Ask to Join Networks in the WiFi button allow you to go around that. It'll only join known network and stay on cellular when it doesn't see a known network?

Brightness in the bottom tray would be great though.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Rethinking the App Switcher for the iPhone 5 (mockups) *UPDATE: In development!*

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/4/3451322/rethinking-the-app-switcher-for-the-iphone-5-mockups

YouTube: video

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------A Concept to Improve Notifications and rid iOS of its 'Legacy' UI (mockups)

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/21/3489174/a-concept-to-improve-notifications-and-rid-ios-of-its-legacy-ui

iOS has been around for over five years now, and in the time between its '07 reveal (alongside the iPhone) and now, it has changed a lot. Some things, however, have stood the test of time by going unaltered after six major dot iterations. That isn't necessarily a bad thing; rounded squares for app icons make just as much sense now as they did in '07, for example. But for other aspects of iOS, the exact opposite can be said.

http://f.cl.ly/items/3y2H0t292F163M3d2Y1c/Pop-Up Alert Message Test Mockup.mov

I fail to see the benefit of the elongated app switcher. gimmick?

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009

Is that why Apple insist on dropping a WiFi connection to cellular in standby? I'm forced to continually turn off my data connection to avoid horrendous data usage. A quick settings toggle makes perfect sense.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Is that why Apple insist on dropping a WiFi connection to cellular in standby? I'm forced to continually turn off my data connection to avoid horrendous data usage. A quick settings toggle makes perfect sense.

Perhaps within context of an improperly functioning phone.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Doesn't the Ask to Join Networks in the WiFi button allow you to go around that. It'll only join known network and stay on cellular when it doesn't see a known network?

No, because it identifies networks by SSID, and for BT Openzone they all have the same SSID. Half of which O2 users have access too and half they don't.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Perhaps within context of an improperly functioning phone.

Are you serious?

Have you not read the millions of threads on the Internet? This is apparently normal behaviour, and has been in iOS for a long time.

I don't agree with it, but both my iPad Mini, iPad 3rd Gen, and iPhone 4S do it, so don't try to tell me I have a faulty device.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
What is needed in ios 6.1 or later:

1) Being able to text message anyone/reply to anyone within the notifications bar like how bitesms does (minus the popups)

2) Being able to task switch from the notifications bar as well - no more double clicking the home button please!

3) Can we have the option to see the time and/or date on the upper clock area?

4) How about throwing me a bone to allow me to use siri to turn settings on and off?

5) Even better, how about siri to be faster than it is now? it's god awfully slow....

6) Can we make better use of the lock screen? Perhaps allow persisent user selectable information in a list?

7) Please allow HDR/Panorama on the ipad mini

8) Enable GPS reminder list on the LTE ipads please!

9) Play music from the notifications bar perhaps?

10) Most important on the ipads: Don't waste all that precious space using the same layout as an iphone!! You can do so much more than what ios 6.0 now. How about slide in panels, multi panels from any direction, etc. Utilize the space just don't waste it!

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I've wanted a quick reply feature for ages. I do hope Apple implements something like this.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Nice idea, well done.

I like the app switcher would be good use of the space.
I live the controls and shortcuts; that would be awesome.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
6) Can we make better use of the lock screen?
I agree that the lock screen could be better used. One thing that has always annoyed me is that for text messages, the iPhone doesn't display the whole text message in the lock screen when there is plenty of room to do so. I have to log in into my iPhone to read the whole text message.

I can't always reply right away, so it would be great to be able to read the full text to see if it needs my immediate attention. The other benefit of not logging in is that the text message app badge number is still there reminding me to reply to that text. The message app doesn't have a mark as unread feature like the mail app has, so once I've read a text I can't mark it as a reminder to text back later.

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Could Apple ditch spotlight search once and for all? That "search" page could be eliminated in favor of more useful notification space, widgets and/or switches. That way they get rid of swipe down notification center.

Another change could be eliminating the banners in favor of a ticker-type line in the space between the status bar and the first row of icons. Like this concept for iOS 5:

qatugute.jpg

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Could Apple ditch spotlight search once and for all? That "search" page could be eliminated in favor of more useful notification space, widgets and/or switches. That way they get rid of swipe down notification center.

Another change could be eliminating the banners in favor of a ticker-type line in the space between the status bar and the first row of icons. Like this concept for iOS 5:

That way instead of swiping everyone would have to press home, then swipe. Great idea :rolleyes:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

I agree with the first point 100%. I've never once used Spotlight on my phone. It's nice on the computer where you have the option to save things where you choose but in my experience (meaning yours may differ), it's completely unnecessary in iOS.

As for the banners, I like em.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Some good ideas.

Don't think we'll get quick toggles though.

Apple is trying to get away from that sort of thing, they want you using your device, not thinking about managing settings.

Maybe now Scott Forstall is out this may change, but it's a slippery slope.

It wouldn't be as bad as say, adding a file system, which would completely destroy the iPhone and iPad, but it would add a layer of complexity to all the older, less tech savvy, customers Apple has these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.