Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whachagott

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Its just annoying...

I mean, I passed on the 15 inch rMBP, though I was tempted, I just wanted a smaller footprint.

I finally bought a 256 13 inch rMBP and received it last friday. (Yes, I've heard all the negativity, and I decided that the FRY's 1800-tax deal was good for me, and I wanted the size and memory....) I pulled the trigger and got this thing in the mail. I didn't have a chance to restore from time machine immediately, nor did I download 10.8.2 update in a timely manor.

Plus, I sold my 2010 iMac, which ironically was updated to the current version of ML.

So now, I'm stuck in update purgatory? I can use my new mac sure, but I can't use iPhoto, or even import my old library.

I mean, i love Apple... but this is just stupid. Its not like I'm gonna jump ship or anything, but they couldn't keep there most current users... you know... current!

Denisoftus

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Updated rMBP yesterday and, I must say they fixed the performance issue. Diablo 3 is now running flawlessly on retina resolution.

But still having problems with screen artifact in Safari, using Integrated card. I hope this will be fixed in the next supplemental update :)

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
I have been on phone with a nice lady from the German Apple Support today. Apple is supposedly aware of the issue that many Apple users that purchased their machine after the update has been are facing. She said a new update will be put forward by mid next week...Although I hope this is true I still think this is absolutely unacceptable. This will be almost two weeks I can't use most of Apples productivity apps!

whitecraine

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Then do explain why I got the update for my MBA 2012 and managed to install it successfully... The article is correct: it is for all 2012 models (take a good look at what Apple's own description says about models from 2012!). Since this is a supplemental update it requires that you have 10.8.2 installed (not sure if you need to have supplemental 1.0 as well).

It does that since Lion. You can disable it by setting it to 0 via the commandline. You need to use the following command: sudo pmset -a standbydelay 0. If you do like this feature but only want it to enter standby mode after a certain amount of time you can tell it that too. It takes the amount of time in seconds. Using a value of 86400 would mean it will enter standby mode after 24 hours of sleep.

Never tried setting standbydelay time to 0. Usually people recommend setting: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Another problem is since the recent 10.8.2 update, disabling hibernate doesn't keep the sleepimage from reappearing (which takes up to 16GB of disk space depending on how much RAM you have). The only way to keep it off so far is a hack mentioned here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1480259/

Catsman

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
On the Coast Australia
Update issues

Still problems with external monitor and I don't know if related, but Time machine has said problem with backup and has started again.

Days and days of backing up. Why oh why so long.

Feeling very nervous.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
Mine is running with this update, I don't know what does it actually do to my cMBP, but I see further bump on battery life. :D:D

----------

Still problems with external monitor and I don't know if related, but Time machine has said problem with backup and has started again.

Days and days of backing up. Why oh why so long.

Feeling very nervous.

I think you could try to Erase your back up drive and run the Time Machine backup all over again.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
And we're still waiting for 10.8.2 for the 2012 Mac mini - it was released, but Apple has since pulled it.
I was just reading that one of the reasons why they pulled 10.8.2 is because it allowed Disk Utility to create a free Fusion drive, and of course they want to sell those.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Took a look at it again: What I was trying to point out was that people who got their machines after Friday are still out of luck.

I'd like to suggest that you consider switching from underlining words that you want to emphasize to using italics or bold type. The convention regarding underlined text in this context is that it is a hyperlink.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
This hasn't appeared in App Store yet for me so I went to the Apple Support page where it says (my emphasis):

This update is recommended for all Mac systems introduced in 2012.

and that it is a 26.65MB download. I d/l it - only 1.3MB - and tried to install it:

Alert

This software is not supported on your system.

:confused:

EditHmm, seems it is only for 13" rMBPs, despite the support page saying all 2012 Macs

Last edited:

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
I'd like to suggest that you consider switching from underlining words that you want to emphasize to using italics or bold type. The convention regarding underlined text in this context is that it is a hyperlink.

Will do!

Alert

This software is not supported on your system.

:confused:

EditHmm, seems it is only for 13" rMBPs, despite the support page saying all 2012 Macs

Again everybody with a 2012 Mac still running 10.8.1 are out of luck updating to 10.8.2, including 13" rMBPs!

I only saw this posted as news on some German websites, but every other international Apple website never even mentioned this problem, while this is actually pretty huge!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Will do!

Again everybody with a 2012 Mac still running 10.8.1 are out of luck updating to 10.8.2, including 13" rMBPs!
The problem here is that Apple introduced Airs and 15" retinas and 15" non-retina Macbook Pros in 2012. Those machines run the plain old 10.8.2 update which is still available, and this supplemental update does not seem to apply to them, in spite of what Apple says.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
The problem here is that Apple introduced Airs and 15" retinas and 15" non-retina Macbook Pros in 2012. Those machines run the plain old 10.8.2 update which is still available, and this supplemental update does not seem to apply to them, in spite of what Apple says.

Ok I think we need to understand here are two issues at work, hence my disappointment with MacRumors, that they didn't even bother to mention both issues:

1. New 2012 Mac minis, new 2012 13" retina MacBook Pros and new (as of yet) unreleased 2012 iMacs that have been purchased after the update to 10.8.2 has been pulled on 16th of October are still waiting for Apple to puplish a proper update to 10.8.2 - we can't use iPhoto, Aperture, iMessage, iMovie, etc. at the moment, which I think is a much bigger issue, because this quite simply renders users who depend on those programms for work without a working machine.
  2. The supplemental update for everybody (especially owners of 2012 machines), which was supposed to fix the issues Apple discovered to be inherant with the pulled 10.8.2 update, does in fact not fix all the issues people are having.

I called Apple for the first issues and they are supposedly working on it. According to the nice lady, the proper 10.8.2 update is due next week. Unfortunately my patience is growing strong, because I only have a 14 day return window and if worse comes to worse I'll just have to take the machine back. While the hardware is running perfect, the software is not and Apple does not even care to post a statement why I can't use my productivity apps or when I can expect full functionality restored. This is not the proper way to treat customers, especially if they run a business or something like that. At least you need a time frame to work with.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Never tried setting standbydelay time to 0. Usually people recommend setting: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
The hibernatemode setting is completely different from the standby mode. The machine will first go into hibernate but after a certain amount of time (4200 seconds by default) it will go into standby saving a lot of power. This behaviour is default since Lion and certain hardware. This is actually the biggest reason why the standby time for an MBA is 30 days.

Another problem is since the recent 10.8.2 update, disabling hibernate doesn't keep the sleepimage from reappearing (which takes up to 16GB of disk space depending on how much RAM you have). The only way to keep it off so far is a hack mentioned here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1480259/
Yep. Before you could simply set the hibernatemode to 0 and delete the sleepimage file. You can do that now but the sleepimage will be created once you reboot the machine. The only way of making sure this doesn't happen is symlinking the sleepimage file to /dev/null (see sweebee's post in the topic you linked).

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Is that a joke? Not to be mean but this is only an update for 2012 macs... Mentioned several times in the post. :p

Oh, i didn't read the post, I just saw the post and like a madman I launched the mac app store :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.