Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I finally found a great use for my old iPhone 4.

If y'all remember I wasn't sure what to do with it. I could have put all that data on my new iPhone 5 but I didn't want 5,000 pictures I don't look at cramming it.

As many of you know I do tons and tons of banking.

I figured the perfect use for my iPhone 4 would be to use it as a vault for highly sensitive information.

What do you use yours for?

I assumed an iPod would be a great use.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My sister gave me her old iPhone 3GS for Christmas last year. I'm not on AT&T so it became a WiPhone. I put Talkatone on it and connected it with my Google Voice number. Combined with iMessage it gave me free US calls and free SMS/MMS. Since most of the places I go have WiFi I was able to use it as a spare phone with internet/data capability.

Now that I have my iPhone 5 it's also being used as a media device and for controlling my PowerBook.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
i gave them away for really cheap or for free.

no need for trying to make a "profit".

bradkb

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
My 5 is my first ever iPhone so none to retire, but my old Blackberry bold is now used by my 9 month old. It has "White Noise" on there as an MP3, and its great, he sleeps superbly with it on loop. Was a trick by the midwife when he was young and wouldnt go sleep, now he wont without it.

Also means we can go in the room without waking him. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My 5 is my first ever iPhone so none to retire, but my old Blackberry bold is now used by my 9 month old. It has "White Noise" on there as an MP3, and its great, he sleeps superbly with it on loop. Was a trick by the midwife when he was young and wouldnt go sleep, now he wont without it.

Also means we can go in the room without waking him. :)
My iPhone 5 replaced my HTC Touch Pro which is a Windows Mobile phone. I'm now using that phone for some non-Apple apps and I have the SD card on it Apple formatted. I use that as a maintenance/emergency boot drive for my Mac.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
i gave them away for really cheap or for free.

no need for trying to make a "profit".

Well that was nice of you.

----------

You know guys while it would seem easy to find something to do with it, it is actually not as easy as people think if you buy the new iPhone!

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
That's why you sell them for quite a bit of money unless you want to maintain a collection of iPhones in each design/form factor.

The only problem I have with selling is that I don't know where to put the info on it. I wouldn't want to transfer 5,000 pics to my new iPhone 5.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
iPhone 4 is still good and runs IOS6 so
Id sell it.

Older iPhones don't get app updates and they don't have retina displays. Camera was never great on them either so I imagine the only use for them is calling and text maybe ipod.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I taunt people who own android phones. My deactivated old iPhone is still better than their activated android phone, and they KNOW it.

WeetaBiXie

macrumors regular
Used as:
1. Airfoil Speaker Device with an external speaker
2. Portable Audio and Movie receptacle during travel
3. Hot Spot/Internet sharing device with local SIM card
4. Additional Instagram account for my cat (follow lembu_nyteriders)

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
My wife and I gave our iPhone 4 phones to our kids as iPod touches (replacing the 3G versions of our previous phones they were using) when we got the 5. I am happy doing it, the iPod touch that kids really like these days are $299 and the 4 does basically everything the same minus the bigger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.