Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xdrqgol

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
hello all,

freshly installed Win8 on my macbook pro 13'', via USB/ EFI mode...

No audio:( whatsoever.....i hope someoane can fix this:(..

Xdrqgol

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
Someoane said:

"I've installed the 32bit of Win 8 RTM on both a white Macbook 2008 and a 2010 Macbook Pro with no fuss whatsoever. Drivers install fine, and everything works, including trackpad, sound and brightness hot keys. I had trouble with the drivers using the 64bit version (brightness and sound problems), but I haven't had any system freezes in over two weeks now. Using the activation workaround found on the bay too. "

that measn the driver is working on 32 bit...:(

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
that measn the driver is working on 32 bit...:(

Yes, and the driver is working in 64 bit on non EFI mode. And maybe working in 64 bit on Windows 7 in EFI mode. To get Windows 8 EFI 64 bit audio working we are waiting on a driver update or EFI firmware update or someone really clever to catch something we missed.

rghigliazza

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
Rockie

Yes, and the driver is working in 64 bit on non EFI mode. And maybe working in 64 bit on Windows 7 in EFI mode. To get Windows 8 EFI 64 bit audio working we are waiting on a driver update or EFI firmware update or someone really clever to catch something we missed.

I know you guys have a let of knowledge that i do not know, i just installed Windows 8 on an IMAC 27, i am afraid i do not know what to make EFI o BIOS installs, this issue is all around the web, i will beg you to gave a non advanced mac user to know how to make sound Works on an IMAC with Windows 8 RTM 64 bits.

Thanks in advance guys.

R.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

I'm confident it's not a driver issue.

I haven't tried this with the new EFI update on the rMBP... maybe I'll play around later. I seriously doubt Apple decided to fix it though.

beanian

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Is there still no fix for this? Everything is working perfectly on my MBP running Win 8 x64 apart from no audio!
It driving me nuts!

cutter74

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Having the same problem on my new Mac mini (late 2012). This is my first Mac so I'm still learning the basics. Somebody posted that they installed W8 in BIOS mode and the driver worked fine. How does one install in BIOS mode? I installed Windows in bootcamp via a USB stick. Do I have to boot from a cd and install from there? Will this destroy my Mac partition?

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
... How does one install in BIOS mode? I installed Windows in bootcamp via a USB stick. Do I have to boot from a cd and install from there? Will this destroy my Mac partition?

Bummer that the mini has the same issue, although it should get fixed. USB install shouldn't matter, although the overall disk partitioning system might. You shouldn't have to reinstall MacOS. Maybe this can help...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh290677(v=ws.10).aspx

beanian

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
you are right, to install from bios mode you need to install from a CD. From my experiences you can only install efi mode from usb.
I erased my efi install, installed via cd(using the same .iso i created the usb with) and now everything works.
As long as you partition your harddrive via bootcamp in osx prior to installation you mac partition wont be touched and you can still dual boot without issues

cutter74

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Bummer that the mini has the same issue, although it should get fixed. USB install shouldn't matter, although the overall disk partitioning system might. You shouldn't have to reinstall MacOS. Maybe this can help...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh290677(v=ws.10).aspx

you are right, to install from bios mode you need to install from a CD. From my experiences you can only install efi mode from usb.
I erased my efi install, installed via cd(using the same .iso i created the usb with) and now everything works.
As long as you partition your harddrive via bootcamp in osx prior to installation you mac partition wont be touched and you can still dual boot without issues

Thank you both. A little update; since I don't have an external usb drive readily available, I tried installing Windows 7 64bit. All went smoothly, so the problem lies with the W8 driver I believe... I'll probably reinstall using Windows 8 when my drive arrives but for the time being, Windows 7 will do just fine.

unionaire

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
What's the audio card on your rMBP 13 inch? I know a guy who has rMBP 15 inch and his audio card is Cirrus Logic CS4206B (AB40) and he claim his audio works fine after install Bootcamp 4.1.

What he did is that right after installing Windows 8, he starts to install Bootcamp 4.1 drivers, that's it.

His video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, which seems to work fine too according to our conversation.

Hope this helps, I have an iMac MC813 (late 2011), and its audio card is Cirrus Logic CS4206A (AB32), with BOOTCAMP 4.0 the audio card doesn't show up at all in WIN8 EFI mode (not asking for a driver). There's no Bootcamp 4.1 for iMac so I'm screwed.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
What worked for me was:
Uninstall ALL bootcamp drivers
Reboot
Go to the Bootcamp location and find the Intel Graphics drivers
Install ONLY the Intel Graphics drivers (this installs the Intel audio too)
Reboot
Check Audio is working
Install as per normal the Bootcamp

This worked for both 7 & 8 using a Mac mini 2011 (Sandy bridge, HD3000).

Evantron3000

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
bumping this to see if there is a fix yet. I spent forever getting Windows 8 set up via EFI on an external SSD on my rMBP only to find that there's no audio.

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
bumping this to see if there is a fix yet. I spent forever getting Windows 8 set up via EFI on an external SSD on my rMBP only to find that there's no audio.

Still no luck, it seems. Messing with the PCI registers in an EFI shell would be our closest bet to getting something working, but it's pretty difficult to mess with. An EFI update from Apple would likely solve most people's problems.

Maybe when they issue a Boot Camp update for Windows 8, they'll also issue an EFI update for all Macs. My MacBook Air has audio and Intel HD 4000 issues. Going to do a complete reinstall of Windows 8, but through the regular BIOS mode (bye, really fast boot times!).

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
How long can it possibly take for Apple to release a EFI update for this.. They weren't this late with their BootCamp update for Windows 7, was they?

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
How long can it possibly take for Apple to release a EFI update for this.. They weren't this late with their BootCamp update for Windows 7, was they?

According to my sources who are familiar with the matter (typical blog BS), we'll see it by the first week of January.

unionaire

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
What worked for me was:
Uninstall ALL bootcamp drivers
Reboot
Go to the Bootcamp location and find the Intel Graphics drivers
Install ONLY the Intel Graphics drivers (this installs the Intel audio too)
Reboot
Check Audio is working
Install as per normal the Bootcamp

This worked for both 7 & 8 using a Mac mini 2011 (Sandy bridge, HD3000).

I got a message saying that my system does not meet the minimum requirement for installing the dirver. Besides, if you are talking about Windows 7 then we are probably not on the same page here because Windows 7's efi boot doesn't work on Mac.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
My bad - I was referring to non working audio under "normal" bootcamp installation.

tomz65

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
solution for mac mini

I had the issues with hd audio not starting, on a mac mini 2011 with Intel HD3000 video, boot camp EFI install of Windows 8Pro 64bit

My solution was to download the latest drivers for Intel HD 3000 graphics driver. Included there are the needed drivers for the HD audio to work!
In device manager, the audio device now is "Intel(R) Display-Audio". this can also be chosen as audio device that sends the sound through HDMI finally :)
Hope this works for others as well!

Last edited:

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
latest nVidia, latest Intel drivers and Restore Points

...My solution was to download the latest drivers for Intel HD 3000 graphics driver...

Not patient enough to wait for the rumored apple firmware or bootcamp release to address the Windows 8 x64 EFI audio issues on the retina MacBook Pro, I decided to update all Intel and Nvidia drivers.

The NVidia drivers installed fine. I can't tell if they help anything but nothing appears broken. They are the wHQL certified 1.11.3 update with 310.90 graphics driver and the 1.3.18.0 audio driver. I left two options unchecked, PhysiX and something else.

The Intel drivers however destroyed my system. I downloaded the 15.28.12.64.2932 x64 HD 4000 drivers in a winzip file from Intel. These are dated 19 Dec 2012. The install blue screened my computer and the machine's own attempts to restore itself were unsuccessful. I managed to get into safe mode, completely reinstall the drivers, reboot the still unbootable machine into safe mode, completely remove the drivers and then get a bootable system again. My rMBP crashed regardless of the use of "install Aero" option, which of course isn't supported in Windows 8 anyway. I was equally unsuccessful manually installing any of the intel drivers (inf files) onto the perpetually not starting "High Definition Audio Controller" on my system at "PCI bus 0, device 27, function 0", as none of the driver files showed as compatible.

I did not previously have a system restore point on my system. This may have made the attempted auto repair function faster and\or successful, so I would certainly recommend it for the adventurous.

Last edited:

gophermobile

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
I'm not sure if this solution will apply to rMBP, but it's worked for my 2012 Macbook Air with Ivy Bridge / Intel 4000 Graphics, so I would think they're similar architectures.

I downloaded the "Developer / IT professional version" of the Intel graphics driver from here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx. It's a zip file of the installation files instead of an executable version in the standard install. Direct link for Intel 4000 / Win8 64 bit: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22376/a08/win64_152812.zip

In the zip file is a directory, DisplayAudio. Extract that out. Go to Windows Device Manager and select the "High Definition Audio Device" that cannot start and go to Update Driver, and point it to the DisplayAudio directory. It should then update the drivers.

I tried several other steps on the way to this - installing the MBA EFI Firmware 2.6 Update didn't work (had to go through wiping Windows 8, re-installing OSX, and re-installing Win 8 to figure that out). Also, installing the entire Intel graphics driver update causes problems, video stopped working for me and I had to revert. So just the DisplayAudio driver seems to be the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.