Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
You could be right. Luckily the updates are pretty easy.

I'm just letting these "Snow Leopard rules" people have their moment. I was here when SL came out and got trashed for having no features. Ahhhhh Nostalgia is grand isn't it?

I remember those too, 10.5.8 was the greatest since slice bread. :/

Hugh

NOTE: New 2012 machines owners, you can not install Snow Leopard on to it. It's only for the older machines. Thought I would mention it so you didn't get confused. :)

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Its crazy how much potential hard drive space this kind of ridiculous system can take up. Apple's new iMac will only ship with one internal drive as do the new retina MacBooks without the possibility of an optibay for further expansion. MacBook airs are even worse off considering how little space the SSDs have.

To make matters worse, these drives are typically SSD drives where not only is capacity limiting but all this writing to the drive effectively screws over the lifespan of a drive, especially third party drives without TRIM.

Apple has never been known for choice or options and this will be the cause of their eventual demise. What surprises me is that very few people even outside of the MacRumors site every say anything against this. I understand it not happening in this forum seeing how so many memeber just gobble up whatever Apple says or does, but there really arent many rational thinkers out there.

Yes, yes, we've heard it before. Apple didn't put BluRay drives in it's machines "Apple is doomed!" Pulling out the CD/DVD drive "Apple is doomed!". Apple pulling the 3 1/2 drive out of the machine "Apple is doomed!", Apple not making Mini Tower "Apple is doomed!". We've heard it all before.

I have a hunch that Apple isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The new machines have Thunder Bolt and USB 3, plenty expansion there. :/

Hugh

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Yes! That's how I feel as well. In fact, I tried to upgrade my 5-year-old iMac with 4GB RAM and 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo and it brought it to its knees. I had to downgrade back to Snow Leopard and let me tell you, that was a 2-week e-mail reverse conversion nightmare.

Yes I want a new iMac, but the cash is just not coming in to cover one. (Dream: I can't imagine how fast a new iMac would be if you loaded with SL.)

I do love some of the improvements in Lion/Mountain Lion and wish I could have them, but the performance tradeoff makes it unappealing at best for now. I hope 10.9 fixes that. Who knows, when I finally get a new iMac, perhaps I won't care since the performance will be fine again, I hope.
I upgraded my late 2007 2.66 Core Duo iMac from Snow Leopard; I'd kept off Lion as I liked Exposé too much, but still wanted the iCloud stuff. I turned off "Group Windows by app" in Mission Control to retain Exposé functionality and useful for things like dragging windows to other screens. At first it seemed a bit more sluggish, but having cleaned up my system including making more space on the main HD and defragging with iDefrag (yes, Macs esp ones low on space can benefit from it; I expect upgrading in place will put the new system files wherever there is space), it runs better; also once the system has cached for the first time it improves performance. Moreover I maxed out the Ram with 6Gb (it officially only supports 4 according to Apple).
It now runs very well, even with Aperture.

(Kerfuffle)

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2012
Just ordered SL for my iMac still running Leopard. Since it is confirmed that these discs are 10.6.3, will I still be able to update to 10.6.8 from there?

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Yes, yes, we've heard it before. Apple didn't put BluRay drives in it's machines "Apple is doomed!" Pulling out the CD/DVD drive "Apple is doomed!". Apple pulling the 3 1/2 drive out of the machine "Apple is doomed!", Apple not making Mini Tower "Apple is doomed!". We've heard it all before.

I have a hunch that Apple isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The new machines have Thunder Bolt and USB 3, plenty expansion there. :/

Hugh

Nowhere in my post did I insinuate that Apple ia doomed. They won't be doomed for a long time because the cult od brand is too strong. Every screwup by apple is answered with consumers turning a blind eye, they don't care enough and apple knows they can get away with it.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Just ordered SL for my iMac still running Leopard. Since it is confirmed that these discs are 10.6.3, will I still be able to update to 10.6.8 from there?

If your iMac will boot to 10.6.3, you will still be able to update it to 10.6.8.

duckrabbit

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Resizing windows in SL is infuriating...

resize-cjr.jpg

Edit: Also, Filevault 2 is only available in 10.7+. Lion and Mountain Lion aren't all iOS-ification.

michigander

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
Been running SL on my 2006 MacBook. Just bought a new MacBook Pro today. I don't mind ML. It does a fine job for me as a Computer Science major.

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
If you look at the different Sparkle statistics around the web, you see that Snow Leopard still has approx. 30% of the total OS X installations.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Nowhere in my post did I insinuate that Apple ia doomed. They won't be doomed for a long time because the cult od brand is too strong. Every screwup by apple is answered with consumers turning a blind eye, they don't care enough and apple knows they can get away with it.

You take yourself far too seriously. Apple is just a company. Mac OS X is just an operating system, and with the newer variants, you seem to have hit a brick wall and are either unable or unwilling to get around what you consider to be problems. And while there is nothing wrong with that, insinuating that anyone who actually can work with the OS, enjoys the OS, or who likes the company for whatever reason is just sitting around drinking company koolaid doesn't go terribly well with your "Think objectively" motto.

You will likely point out that lots of people are complaining about the same things you do. While true, it's not really interesting. People can either work within a given system or they can't. If a million people can't work well with, say, ML, but I can, the only thing that really matters to me is "I can." And that's not to be a selfish bastard, it's to be pragmatic when it comes to tool choice. And an OS is just a tool. I use ML, RHEL, W7/8 every single day. I write software on all of those environments. I write software on ios and android. My current OS of choice is ML. It works well, is rock solid for me, lets me run the other operating systems via reasonably well performing VMs, lets me interact with a corporate Microsoft environment reasonably well, lets me write ios/android software and pursue my hobbies of photography and music. All in one nice, reasonably elegant package and on reasonably well performing hardware. Go figure.

Is ML the best thing since sliced bread? No, but nor is any OS. And don't get me wrong, I think discussing issues/problems with operating systems is both interesting and useful. However, there's no value in the constant "I'm right and everyone else is koolaid consuming peasants, end-of-story" discussions. (Notes to self that is engaging in one at present :))

Joseph Farrugia

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Malta (EU)
Forever on SL is what you will be.

ML > SL

His choice, no need to berate her/him.

SL > ML for me in so many ways, but then I am an image management power user; I would think the vast majority of new Apple users would be better suited with iOS (& thus ML).

Good to have choice.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
His choice, no need to berate her/him.

SL > ML for me in so many ways, but then I am an image management power user; I would think the vast majority of new Apple users would be better suited with iOS (& thus ML).

Good to have choice.

Yes, choice is a good thing. To be fair, another choice that should be mentioned is that ML also offers the ability for people to be image management power users, just that they may not be able do it in the same way as SL.

Joseph Farrugia

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Malta (EU)
Yes, choice is a good thing. To be fair, another choice that should be mentioned is that ML also offers the ability for people to be image management power users, just that they may not be able do it in the same way as SL.

(my highlights in bold italic)
I think you hit the nail on the head, ML "also offers" a "solution", albeit a solution looking for a problem, or rather creating new problems :D
The Lion/ML document handling is a real & present hindrance to efficiency & is potentially can cause you to lose data. (there are numerous posts on other forums about this, no need to delve into that here)

I repeat: choice is good; I also hope Apple do not continue removing choice.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
(my highlights in bold italic)
I think you hit the nail on the head, ML "also offers" a "solution", albeit a solution looking for a problem, or rather creating new problems :D
The Lion/ML document handling is a real & present hindrance to efficiency & is potentially can cause you to lose data. (there are numerous posts on other forums about this, no need to delve into that here)

I repeat: choice is good; I also hope Apple do not continue removing choice.

While I personally don't have problems with efficiency or data loss using the newer methods, I am aware that people do (am aware of the zillions of posts on the subject too). I guess my point is that efficiency isn't strictly determined by the OS. It has to do with personal preferences, style of work and taste, though not to discount people's trials and tribulations. If you lose data, that's not a good thing.

Siri's assist.

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process. I'm not 'upgrading' to any new release of OS X until they improve on performance and stability and bring back Expose to what it used to be. Also, get rid of versions.

The Mac OSX version of Windows XP Luddism?
:cool:

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I love mountain lion. It seems just as fast as snow leopard on a 4 year old macbook (aluminum). Boot speed is the only downside to me. Also, can someone tell me what is wrong with expose? I don't see anything bad about it...

Mark D

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
I'm actually kind of surprised at the overwhelming opinion that Snow Leopard was the best. I'm waiting for my first Mac ever to ship so I can't comment on stability or peformance. For what it's worth, I think Lion & Mountain Lion made leaps and bounds in UI. Much more pleasing to the eye. At the same time, I can definitely see the gimmicky "features" putting a downer on the improvements. Oh well, it's still worlds better than Windows any day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.