Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ngwidener

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
I am split, I think the black iPhone 5 looks fresher and more modern today than the iPhone 4/4S and the weight is fantastic... but there was always something classy and unique about the all glass design of the 4/4S and I think it was far, far, far, far more impervious to day to day wear than the 5.

Still, Apple had to move on and they did. I like it.

The people that criticize the iPhone 5 design are those that have not used it for a good period of time.

If you use it for more then just 5 minutes you'd realize it the best iPhone made to date. No question.

+1. Wouldn't want to go back to my 4s since having the 5. The 4s is definitely not the peak.

CDNM3

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
The 5 is what made me jump ship from android, which were my previous three phones, the last being the galaxy s3. I have friends that had the iPhone since its very first iteration and it never did anything for me.

As far as design goes the iPhone 5 arguably better. The tolerances are lower, the fit and finish are better and the fact that the back is mostly made of metal makes it more durable in the long run. It might scratch easier than glass but drop the iPhone 4 once on its back and it's game over. The taller screen allows for full screen use in 16:9 videos, the now standard resolution for video media. It's quite necessary, inevitable even.

I honestly never understood why a company would make the back of a phone out of glass, one of the most brittle hard materials known to man. It may look nice but it shatters way too easily.

At the end of the day, it mostly comes down to personal preference though but it's hard to argue that glass is more durable than aluminium for long term durability. Personally I don't even know why apple bothered to make the top and bottom pieces out of glass for the iPhone 5, a nice glass like polymer would have made it even more durable and this better in my opinion.

Screen integrated touch sensors are another advantage to the iPhone 5 as there is no discernible gap between the screen and the top glass itself, improving both readability and viewing angle. It also looks a lot better in my opinion.

The fact that the i5 is also thinner and lighter is another advantage as it makes the device easier to handle on one hand and most of all takes up less real estate in your pocket, making it more comfortable if you wear clothes that actually fit lol

Analysts predict that apple will once again sell more iphone 5's than 4s so the general consensus amongst consumers must be that the 5 has a better design and form factor. Every iteration is smaller, lighter and thinner than the previous one and there's a reason for that.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
To be honest I liked the original iPhone best. If they could squeeze all the iPhone 5 guts into that enclosure I think that would be ideal. That would be the peak. I pulled my original iPhone out of its box a few days ago and it just felt "perfect" in my hand.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
In terms of design - not performance. Does anyone else feel like the iPhone 4S will be the peak of Apple, Inc.'s phones aesthetically speaking? I have no doubt that Apple will continue to release better performing products - but as far as design goes, I think iPhone 4S is the peak.

What do you guys think? Has Apple reached it's peak in terms of design when it comes to phones with the 4S? Or do you prefer the new design of the 5, and think that Apple's future products will trump what we're familiar with today?
I believe your absolutely correct.

The 4 / 4S design is Apples Finest.

Based on my experience owning iPhone 5, I find the "half measure" change in display size, where only the vertical dimension was made slightly longer, creates an odd off balance phone.

As many have reported, it offers little if any advantage, plus it's a stretch to call it an "upgrade".

The soft, easily marred finish is certainly not up to Apples past quality standard, plus the new thinner body feels cheap & a bit flimsy.

Clinging to the mantra that it's easily used "one handed" is a distinctively Apple esq "advantage" that only the most ardent Apple devotee subscribes to.

Out in public, I & others use Androids without a second thought about a few millimeters of difference. Those here who claim Androids are "truck sized, or "massive" or whatever they choose to label them so as to be degrading, may be math challenged, or simply grasping at straws.

After ample time with the intent of enjoying my iPhone 5, it was just too boring, too uninteresting, and lacking in too many areas to be worth using. So the decision was made to take it offline & shelve it. A very good move.

Returning to my excellent, fast fun & ever so reliable iPhone 4S with iOS 5 & the stellar Google Maps, reminded me of just how great that model is.

It's absolutely the best of all iPhones to date.

An early adopter, I've preordered every model of iPhone since the original. Thankfully I did not sell my 4S before giving the 5 a good long test.

Moral of the story? Once again experience reminds me that newer is not always better.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
As far as design goes the iPhone 5 arguably better. The tolerances are lower, the fit and finish are better....

Yes on paper, but it doesn't work that way in practice, unfortunately. Factory workers rushed to meet the heightened demand and many arrived with slightly off fit and finish in addition to nicked and scratched out of the box. While mine didn't have a nick or scratch, it came with glue stuck between the gap where the glass and aluminum meet on the back. They're said to be more difficult to assemble and the factory allowed many slightly-off iP5 to slip past QC, essentially throwing the lower tolerances out of the window.

Yes, it has the better design overall, but poorer build quality thanks to the stupid factory workers and/or their supervisors.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Maybe something like the discovery of a technology that could project digital projections from your phone or something :)
Great smartphone pico projectors are about 5 years out.

For anyone that wants to know what that means for society, watch the TED talk on "sixth sense computing". We're in for some really exciting things.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
You should know better than to ask a question like that around a fan forum where the current release is ALWAYS better than previous releases in every single way. If the new phone was the 4 and the old one was the 5, you'd get the same responses.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Do you think that the iPhone 4S is the peak of Apple's phone designs
Nope. I'm not sure how anyone can proclaim the Apple has peaked without knowing how much longer Apple will be around or what they'll do in the future. It seems to make about as much sense as stating that everything to be invented has already been invented.

Does anyone else feel like the iPhone 4S will be the peak of Apple, Inc.'s phones aesthetically speaking?
Of course others do. I don't understand why people think that no one could possibly share an opinion when you're talking about millions and millions of people.

You should know better than to ask a question like that around a fan forum where the current release is ALWAYS better than previous releases in every single way.
You should try reading the responses in this thread. If you think everyone thinks Apple's latest is always the best then you just aren't paying attention and you're seeing what you want to see. Posts #28 and #29 are even on the same page as yours (at least for me they show up on the same page).

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
OP, all people here buy whatever apple releases and then they justify their purchase.

The design of 5 is awkward, starting from it tallness which looks forced and ending with the back with its strange choice of colours and separation.

Placement of camera lens is also questionable, as it is not in the middle of upper backpanel.

All in all, 5 might be the worst designed apple product in the last 10 years.

Wow, how incredibly wrong you are. Obviously you've never seen, held or actually 'used' the iPhone 5. Lol.

The people that criticize the iPhone 5 design are those that have not used it for a good period of time.

If you use it for more then just 5 minutes you'd realize it the best iPhone made to date. No question.

Amen! As an owner of each iteration of iPhone, you're correct! I'm also a casual Android 'enjoyer', and I've got a pair of original Notes in the house as well as the Galaxy SIII. The only correction I'd make to your statement is that the iPhone 5 is not only the best iPhone to date--it's the best mobile phone. Period

I believe your absolutely correct.

The 4 / 4S design is Apples Finest.

Based on my experience owning iPhone 5, I find the "half measure" change in display size, where only the vertical dimension was made slightly longer, creates an odd off balance phone.

As many have reported, it offers little if any advantage, plus it's a stretch to call it an "upgrade".

The soft, easily marred finish is certainly not up to Apples past quality standard, plus the new thinner body feels cheap & a bit flimsy.

Clinging to the mantra that it's easily used "one handed" is a distinctively Apple esq "advantage" that only the most ardent Apple devotee subscribes to.

Out in public, I & others use Androids without a second thought about a few millimeters of difference. Those here who claim Androids are "truck sized, or "massive" or whatever they choose to label them so as to be degrading, may be math challenged, or simply grasping at straws.

After ample time with the intent of enjoying my iPhone 5, it was just too boring, too uninteresting, and lacking in too many areas to be worth using. So the decision was made to take it offline & shelve it. A very good move.

Returning to my excellent, fast fun & ever so reliable iPhone 4S with iOS 5 & the stellar Google Maps, reminded me of just how great that model is.

It's absolutely the best of all iPhones to date.

An early adopter, I've preordered every model of iPhone since the original. Thankfully I did not sell my 4S before giving the 5 a good long test.

Moral of the story? Once again experience reminds me that newer is not always better.

Lol. You never, ever cease to amaze me...and for the life of me, I can't figure out why you don't 'leave us' and find yourself an Android forum to rejoice and extend your praise for better ideas, platforms, offerings and functionality. I don't believe for a second that you've owned every iPhone and Android device you've proclaimed. Nor do I believe you just 'shelve' a creation like the iPhone 5. If you don't understand or 'feel' the incredible performance increase in the '5' over it's 4/4s brethren, you're not nearly the tech 'guru' you've tried to paint yourself as.

It's not flimsy, it's definitely not nearly as damage prone as the 4/4s, it's lighter, it's got the best, most accurate colors to date...the screen is absolutely incredible. The horsepower increase alone is noticeable immediately. The lightning connector is awesome, LTE is beyond fast...and the unibody construction bests ANYTHING available with Android's OS. Shoddy plastic construction sucks and is my biggest complaint about my Droid gear. As a 'true' fan of both OSes...I find your constant posting against every Apple product to be an absolute, utter Joke! Whether you're bagging on your newly purchased, just returned rMBP, dissing the iPad 4 update, or chastising the iPhone 5... It seems to me your full of it. You don't actually own these products. Never have. You're an armchair quarterback spewing negative info you've read online somewhere

Real, true users of the iPhone 5 know the truth. Obviously...as far as aesthetic design is concerned...opinion is subjective. However, you take OP's posts about thirty six steps to far, every time.

Seriously, isn't there another forum you could frequent instead of MR? Or is there a real need in your mind to try to make others that are less experienced question there purchases, look for goofy, non usage affecting flaws...or utter BS that's actually false?

Sorry...but you really, truly annoy me. And you tend to pop up in every 'new' product query...as you own EVERY device Apple has ever released...only to put them on the shelf cause they're no good. I'd think you'd learn. Or stick with a 2009 MBP, because that's the iconic design and pinnacle of performance.

Rant. Over.

Happy Turkey Day everyone! I'm taking my iPad mini that ixodes has proclaimed a 'pile o' crap' down to the kitchen. Excellent honey glaze recipe found for my ham:)

J

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
While I adore iPhone 5¨s design I must say I like the back of the iphone 4/4S. the glass just makes it feel.. Premium?

I dont know .. I love the 4/4S design but the screen size is hard to live without.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Rant. Over.

Happy Turkey Day everyone! I'm taking my iPad mini that ixodes has proclaimed a 'pile o' crap' down to the kitchen. Excellent honey glaze recipe found for my ham:)

J

LMAO:D
Happy Thanksgiving bro.
Whatever you said times 1000 from me.
That's why I put that particular user on my ignore list a long time ago.
You hit it spot on.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Personally I think the 5 is the best design yet.
I really don't know how apple will beat it although I thought that about the 4s.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I think the 4/4S design is the base design of where Apple wants to go with their phones and the 5 is a tweak and improvement on that design foundation.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I have to say, I don't really like the 5's design or dimensions at all, and think it feels cheap in the hand.

I've owned every model of iPhone but am skipping the 5 and keeping my 4S

If Apple stay true to form and release a 5S with the same layout / case next year, I'll probably keep hold of my 4s even longer!

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I've had the 4 for 2 years and it's very nice in its own right. It's instantly recognizable with the silver band sandwiched between two layers. However, the 5 is very nicely designed (if you get one with no gaps and scratches) and looks much better in person. I was extremely skeptical about the design and about renewing my 3 year contract, but on just walked to a store one day, played with one for a few minutes, and called my carrier the same day. When I first saw the iPhone 5, especially the black one, it reminded me of some alien technology :D

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
Of course the 5 is the best, the headphone jack is on the bottom! :D

I love the look of the 4 and will really miss its long term durability vs. the black anodized aluminum. But I'm very happy with my 5 and wouldn't trade back.

Kurios2

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
In terms of design - not performance. Does anyone else feel like the iPhone 4S will be the

peak of Apple, Inc.'s phones aesthetically speaking? I have no doubt that Apple will continue to release better performing products - but as far as design goes, I think iPhone 4S is the peak.

I'm not a huge fan of the iPhone 5's design. I feel that it's actually a little bit too thin (never thought I'd be complaining about that) and I think it's awkwardly tall. I also dislike the the back of the iPhone 5 in terms of it's color.

Even if Apple released a transparent glass phone, I still would prefer the iPhone 4's design to it. The only thing that would prompt me to upgrade my phone at this point would be a SIGNIFICANT technological upgrade (something more than a tiny bit faster, or a tiny bit more resolute). Maybe something like the discovery of a technology that could project digital projections from your phone or something :)

What do you guys think? Has Apple reached it's peak in terms of design when it comes to phones with the 4S? Or do you prefer the new design of the 5, and think that Apple's future products will trump what we're familiar with today?

There won't be anything to top the 4 version. Gorilla glass on both sides made it look sharper than any other phone out there. 5 has dings and scratches on the back and the black is wearing off the sides. 5 should have kept the glass front and back and it should have been wider. The Samsung Galaxy 3 feels like a plastic toy. I like a heavy phone in my hands. Do you think 6 will be better? Don't hold your breath. 5 was supposed to be the super phone....cough cough. Keep dreaming.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I loved the 4 and I love the 5. It's en evolution of good design and it shows that Apple cares about not only how their product works, but it's design as well.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I think the 4/4S design is the base design of where Apple wants to go with their phones and the 5 is a tweak and improvement on that design foundation.

Exactly. They looked at the band that goes around the 4/4s and realized that you can take the same design, thin it out a bit, and make the edge cut more noticeable.

Take that formula and make a single body with a back rather than sandwiching two pieces of glass, and you have iPhone 5.

The engineering of the tech inside, however, is a whole different beast.

kdarling

macrumors P6
iPhone Liquid Metal Concept

(shiny photos snipped)

Hate to tell you... but... Liquid Metal usually looks more like pewter or a satin finish. See the LM golf club below:

liquidmetal_club.png

Since it's a metal alloy with plastic characteristics, a more accurate name would've been "Plastic Metal", but that doesn't have the same sexy Terminator feeling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.