Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I'd like to get a sense of how much my fellow Americans out there are paying for their cellphone services each month - to decide whether I'm paying too much, or being too cheap with my current plan/contract. Five basic questions for you:

a.) How much do you pay for your wireless service monthly?

b.) Which carrier are you under contract with?

c.) What plan did you go with?

d.) Do you have any other additional services (tethering, hotspot, etc.)

e.) Are you satisfied with it?

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Too much!
I have two Verizon iPhones currently (4S and 4) on a Family Plan with 700 minutes, unlimited texting and unlimited data. Costs me close to $160 month after taxes and fees. And that's with a corporate discount. Verizon's 3G data speeds pretty much suck, but the coverage is great. My main complaint is the ridiculous price.

As soon as T-Mobile gets their iPhone coverage up in my area I'm switching to them. I'll save over $60/month. My wife and I took a good look at our usage and we'll have more than enough data to share on one of their Value Pans with the 2GB of high speed data.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I'd like to get a sense of how much my fellow Americans out there are paying for their cellphone services each month - to decide whether I'm paying too much, or being too cheap with my current plan/contract. Five basic questions for you:

$23.
Rogers.
Not on a contract. Just a few things that I do use.
Have Tethering (which is hotspot)... Pay as you go Data.
Very. Rogers is kinda ****** service in my building but so is EVERY provider for my area. (Outside the building is fine, -70LTE)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
$185

Sprint

Family, Everything Data 1400, which is an Unlimited Plan. Unlimited text, unlimited data. Free nights and weekends and free long distance. We transferred to it from a Fair & Flexible plan on December 25, 2007. It's a good fit for us, especially when you consider that Sprint gives you free Mobile to Mobile minutes (if you use a cell phone to call a cell phone it's free, carrier does not matter) so we rarely use any of the plan minutes. Most of the people we call have cell phones. But Sprint eliminated the family ED 700 plan a while back and the only ED family plan offered now is 1500 and costs more. So we're sticking with this plan.

Oh yeah. That's two phones (one iPhone 5 and one HTC Touch Pro 2) and a Sprint Airave (which counts as a device on the plan). Sprint charges an additional $20 per device added to a family plan after the first two. But the Airave was free so we aren't paying for that.

2GB/month Personal Hotspot for $19/month.

Yes. I like the freedom of never having to worry about my data consumption. Sprint recently gave us a free Airave to make up for the loss of signal we have at home. We are also not in a 4G LTE market for Sprint (I'm told they'll start on it in December), but I don't care. 3G was good enough for my WinMo phone and I wanted the iPhone 5. WiFi is covering for now, but I don't like that I am paying a $10 monthly fee for premium data when I don't have LTE.
Whining about that got me the Airave.

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Newest Family Budget Killer

Newest Family Budget Killer.

$12.50/month. Have WIFI at home and work. Will probably increase to $30 month just to have more "fun" but I don't know how u folks can spend over hundred/mo on cable bill alone. Crazy.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
a) $155
b) AT&T
c) 2 iPhones 1 regular phone
d) Nope. I have my Verizon iPad for tethering
e) Yes. They offer 100% LTE coverage in my area

Too much!
I have two Verizon iPhones currently (4S and 4) on a Family Plan with 700 minutes, unlimited texting and unlimited data. Costs me close to $160 month after taxes and fees. And that's with a corporate discount. Verizon's 3G data speeds pretty much suck, but the coverage is great. My main complaint is the ridiculous price.

That's pretty cheap for Verizon. I pay almost the same thing, but I don't have unlimited texting or data. Granted, I have 1 dumbphone but that doesn't really count for anything.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown

A) $69.99 plus taxes
B) Verizon - but not under contract (else I would have to switch plans)
C) Grandfathered Alltel plan. 500 "anytime minutes," unlimited data, 10 Friends & Family numbers, 7pm nights and weekends.
D) Unlimited messaging on a promo that runs indefinitely for $0/mo.
E) Very satisfied. Haven't found a better deal/value yet

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I pay $73 after discount and taxes with AT&T. That includes 450 minutes, and 3GB on data. And I'm very happy with it :)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I'd like to get a sense of how much my fellow Americans out there are paying for their cellphone services each month - to decide whether I'm paying too much, or being too cheap with my current plan/contract.
Polling others won't determine that. You can compare pricing at the various carrier sites. What is or isn't "too much" is a subjective matter. But here goes anyway:

How much do you pay for your wireless service monthly?
$160

Which carrier are you under contract with?
Verizon

What plan did you go with?
Share Everything 4GB for two iPhones and an iPad.

Do you have any other additional services (tethering, hotspot, etc.)
No. Tethering/hotspot is included with Share Everything plans.

Are you satisfied with it?
Yup. Doesn't mean a thing regarding whether you'd be satisfied with the same or not. Again, subjective.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010

$260 after tax

AT&T

Mobile Share 10GB data with unlimited talk/text.

Nope, all included.

Hell no...the cheaper the better.

I used to pay for family shared of 4 iphone with 1500 mins under Tmobile w/o data cuz I didn't feel the need for it few years ago. Then with techonoly and pictures sharing these day, I had to switch to data so that we can shared pics among the family wheter using texting or email. I went with ATT 1400 mins with my cell of 3GB data for work of $30 and $20 for 300MB the other 3 iphones (which is ridiculous). I had to tell my wife and family members to watch their data. Plus all these time I was paying $40 of wifi for ATT at home that supposedly 3MB download which it wasn't. Once the Iphone 5 came out with the new mobile shared, I recalculated my cell bills and wifi bills and consolidated. The new monthly bill is basically removing my wifi and using my IP5 as hotspot for my desktop PC (as I'm typing now).

To think 10 years ago I didn't even felt a need for a cell phone at 25 years old. now I'm paying $3000 annually for it.

Overall, I calculated and calcutated to see where I could cut the bill but with their crappy of $20 difference between 6GB & 10GB, I couldn't justified that savings cuz then I'd be paying $15 for 1GB over. Their regular cell phone billthat I had before is still available but the price difference again is minimal compared to the new one. The 3 big cell phone company are the new monststers of the 21st century.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Approx $188/month.
Verizon, 2 iPhones with 2 GB/month each (not shared), 2 dumb phones
1400 minutes shared between all 4 phones.
With 2 dumb phones the share everything plan doesn't make sense for me.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
There are already tons of threads on this...

but here goes:

$65
Fido

6GB data, 150mins, free calls after 5pm and on weekends, unlimited texting, voicemail, caller id

Hotspot and tethering included for free

Coverage is good, speeds are good, don't like the upgrade policies of the carrier though.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I

~$159.XX after FAN discount

AT&T

AT&T 700 min family plan with 3 lines with unlim. texting on all lines. Unlimited data on line #1 (me, S3). 300 mb plan on line #2(Lumia 900). 3gb plan on line #3(iPhone 5). All smartphones.

No, I just native tethering on my rooted Android if I need to for my Macbook or iPad.

Hell yes. 100% LTE coverage. Speeds never dip below 30 mbps. I'm sticking with AT&T.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
2 phones, unlimited everything one line....

The second line is part of 700 min family plan, 3 gig data unlimited text. I pay $30 /mo.

On at&t

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
a) $580 last month. I changes every month since I do roam and the bill fluctuates. I believe my bill is suppose to be about $500.
b) Not under contract, but I have AT&T.
c) One individual line with 450 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited international data; then a 15GB Mobile Share with 10 lines (3 iPhones, 3 iPads, 1 PS Vita, 1 MiFi, 2 USB dongles).
d) Mobile Share gives me tethering, hotspot, etc. I have unlimited international data on my individual line; also have World Connect and Global Messaging 200 on said line. I have 3 other phone lines, each have World Connect and International Messaging 100.
e) Even though I pay a lot for my phone service, and I get poor reception at home, overall I am satisfied.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
A.) How much do you pay for your wireless service monthly?

I pay $205 a month. 3 lines - 2 iPhones and 1 Razr Maxx

B.) Which carrier are you under contract with?

Verizon

C) What plan did you go with?

Shared Data with 8 gb data-20% corporate discount

D.) Do you have any other additional services (tethering, hotspot, etc.)

Hotspot included free in plan. 2 lines have insurance and I may cancel it

E.) Are you satisfied with it
? [/B]

Love the service my bill is $22 dollars higher than it was with Sprint but some of that is no iphone insurance thru Sprint vs Verizon $8.18 insurance and I dont use all my 8gb of data only 6 gb is the max we have used so I may need to go down to 6gb

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
$62 + Tax (1 subsidized iPhone 5)
Fido (Canada)
250 canada-wide minutes, unlimited north america texts, 6GB , visual voicemail, call ID, hotspot, tethering

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
$60 for main iPhone W/700 rollover minutes and 10 land line #'s
$10 for 2nd iPhone
$10 for 3rd regular flip phone
$60 for unlimited data on both iPhones
$30 unlimited texts
---------
$170 plus taxes

b.) Which carrier are you under contract with? AT&T

c.) What plan did you go with? 700 + rollover mins plus 10 free landline numbers, unlimited text and data

d.) Do you have any other additional services (tethering, hotspot, etc.) No

e.) Are you satisfied with it? Yes! AT&T is the only carrier that works inside my house.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
235.00 shared plan 4 iphones 6 gigs of data unlimited text and voice. been happy with it.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
$80 a month including tax with unlimited data. To those outside of US, what percentage of your income does your monthly bill equate? Monthly bill doesn't mean anything if your income is $20,000 a year if someone with the same job is making $40,000 doing the same job in US.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
$60 for main iPhone W/700 rollover minutes and 10 land line #'s
$10 for 2nd iPhone
$10 for 3rd regular flip phone
$60 for unlimited data on both iPhones
$30 unlimited texts
---------
$170 plus taxes

b.) Which carrier are you under contract with? AT&T

c.) What plan did you go with? 700 + rollover mins plus 10 free landline numbers, unlimited text and data

d.) Do you have any other additional services (tethering, hotspot, etc.) No

e.) Are you satisfied with it? Yes! AT&T is the only carrier that works inside my house.

how do you have yours set up with AT&T? I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with my iPhone at about $90 US and my wife has a droid just shy of 100 with AT&T (limited data). We want to combine our plans but I would rather not loose my unlimited because its nice to have when I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.