Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Ugh no black friday deals in Japan. Retail in Japan is terrible, Apple compared to the rest of Apple retail around the world but mostly retail as a whole here

In Hong Kong Apple only give these "discounts" at the Lunar New Year around late Jan to Feb (of course, when all of their products become really "old"...)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Why are the prices written as "A$ 25 Off"? We don't say "Australian dollars 25" when we speak, so what's with the USA-style prices?

And shouldn't that be "25$AUD" anyway? :confused:

Because this is a website from the USA.

It's just like we write $ for Hong Kong Dollars and US$ for US Dollars.

edwardmickey

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
I might be wrong but the 'special deals' for the refurb models on the UK site have usual discounts PLUS the extra one day discount. Eg, latest MacBook Pro 15" is now £240 discounted.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Only America could have a holiday where people give thanks for what they have then rush out and buy loads more crap.

"Only in America"? Last I checked, these deals were posted FIRST to the Australian and New Zealand websites with regards to International discounts. That doesn't sound like "only in America".

You need to read the actual post before you go all "Anti-America" on MR.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Ugh no black friday deals in Japan. Retail in Japan is terrible, Apple compared to the rest of Apple retail around the world but mostly retail as a whole here

Retail as a whole in Japan is terrible? I strongly disagree. We enjoy what is undoubtedly some of the best, friendliest customer service in the entire world. Even the smallest independent retail stores tend to be well-run.

Oh, and immaculate. And I'm not just talking about the boutiques in Ginza. The next time you're in a convienience store (7-Eleven, Family Mart, Sunkusu, Lawson, etc.), take a look around you. Everything is tidy and well-displayed. Even the floors are super-clean and shiny. The employees greet you when you walk in, and they don't eye you with suspicion and contempt. (Compare that with the treatment you'll get at a 7-Eleven in the States.)

That said, I do agree with you that the Apple Stores (at least here in Tokyo) are rather poorly run. Which is a real surprise and disappointment, because the Apple Stores I've visited in other countries seem to be run very well.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
"Only in America"? Last I checked, these deals were posted FIRST to the Australian and New Zealand websites with regards to International discounts. That doesn't sound like "only in America".

As per my previous post, this is ONLY in America. Australia doesn't have a Black Friday. In fact no other country in the world has anything like this event.
Just because Apple have kindly extended the specials to the rest of the world doesnt mean that all of a sudden every single other retailer in Australia and NZ is suddenly celebrating Black Friday. Sheesh! In fact virtually no one over here knows what it is or is aware that it is occurring today.

dc0511

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
Does anyone know if you can combine education discounts with Black Friday pricing?

KiranB

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2012
Birmingham UK
yes, UK store is up again with sale prices.

£31 off retina iPad. £21 off iPod touch. £81 off all Macbook Pros and Macbook Air. £21 off Time capsule. £11 off keyboards/mice/trackpads. £11 to £15 off iPad covers.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/holiday/shopping_event

Just saw the prices and I've just noticed there is a 54£ discount on the 32gb ipad LTE I just got today with smart case ... hoping that bullring Birmingham have them in stock tomorrow so I can see if they will do a refund of any sort .. Slightly gutted :(

POLBOSS

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Last week I went to exchange an iPad 4 wifi for an LTE model... Can I go tomorrow and get the difference?

Neutrino

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Wow did Belgium get nothing compared to the UK. What the hell?? NO discount on the rMBP yet 81GBP in the UK and 101EUR in Germany... I'm so confused. We pay more tax than most countries anyway! So ridiculous. I was planning on that 100EUR. It's not huge but it's still 100EUR..

http://store.apple.com/be-fr-edu/browse/holiday/shopping_event

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/holiday/shopping_event

http://store.apple.com/de/browse/holiday/shopping_event

Edit: Nevermind, didn't realize I was on the education store in Belgium, but I still didn't think they'd have nothing come off the rMBP - they still have discounts on other items with the ED applied.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
As per my previous post, this is ONLY in America. Australia doesn't have a Black Friday. In fact no other country in the world has anything like this event.
Just because Apple have kindly extended the specials to the rest of the world doesnt mean that all of a sudden every single other retailer in Australia and NZ is suddenly celebrating Black Friday. Sheesh! In fact virtually no one over here knows what it is or is aware that it is occurring today.

Much like here in the colonies we don't (yet) have Boxing Day sales.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011

You need to read about different cultures before critisizing other. Black Friday is an American thing. It follows Thanksgiving, an American celebration. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

Apple and other retailers have extended Black Friday sales to other countries because it's good for business. But you'll notice it's not called Black Friday sales elsewhere. Also, AU and NZ only recieved the sales first because we live in an earlier time zone (+0800/+1000) compared to USofA. Same as why we get iOS devices first and companies like iFixIt come to Australia to buy a device on launch days/nights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.