Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

recharge23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Seoul, South Korea
hi all,

i just recently bought a nexus 7 here in korea and am looking forward to familiarizing myself with android, but the thing that's frustrating me a little bit is that i can't access the U.S. Google Play store.

i can find most apps and such but all the movies/books are korean. is there any way around this? i plan to use a U.S. based credit card for payment (this works fine for the U.S. iTunes store).

i came across market enabler in my search for answers but am unsure of how to go about making that work.

thanks in advance!

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
hi all,

i just recently bought a nexus 7 here in korea and am looking forward to familiarizing myself with android, but the thing that's frustrating me a little bit is that i can't access the U.S. Google Play store.

i can find most apps and such but all the movies/books are korean. is there any way around this? i plan to use a U.S. based credit card for payment (this works fine for the U.S. iTunes store).

i came across market enabler in my search for answers but am unsure of how to go about making that work.

thanks in advance!

Log into Google Play via your web browser. Use your military APO address that is linked to your US credit card. I don't think you will be able to use the Play Store app though, because I have to assume your are pulling wifi from a Korean carrier/internet company. What about using public wifi on base?

recharge23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Seoul, South Korea
Log into Google Play via your web browser. Use your military APO address that is linked to your US credit card. I don't think you will be able to use the Play Store app though, because I have to assume your are pulling wifi from a Korean carrier/internet company. What about using public wifi on base?

ah, if only i were in the military! google play on web browser is the same, all korean. i have yet to attach my u.s. billing info to my google wallet but i don't feel like that will change anything

thanks though.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
If your N7 is rooted and you also have BusyBox installed (if you don't, install it with this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.busybox.installer there are alternatives but this is what I always used), the following instructions should work.

1. Download the latest Play Store APK - http://www.mediafire.com/?v3nusv76xgycdxe
2. Install it (just like any other APK).
3. Download Market Enabler - http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1175856&d=1341372763 and install it.
4. Download DroidVPN from the Play Store and register.
5. Verify your DroidVPN registration in your mailbox after which they’ll send you your password.
6. Open Market Enabler and select any fake US carrier (e.g. T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.)
7. Open DroidVPN and login with the email and password they sent you and press ‘Start’.
8. A green icon will display in the notification bar which means you are connected.
9. Clear the cache in the Play Store app.
10. Run the full US Google Play Store.

These instructions are from http://cyberjunkeez.org/2012/07/access-full-google-play-store-services-anywhere-outside-us.html
I just added the link to the latest Play Store (3.10.9) and BusyBox installer.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
ah, if only i were in the military! google play on web browser is the same, all korean. i have yet to attach my u.s. billing info to my google wallet but i don't feel like that will change anything

thanks though.

There is a language drop down at the bottom of the page.

I don't think Google quite understood that you can not predict the language a person speaks based on their ip when they launched the web Play Store.

recharge23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Seoul, South Korea
There is a language drop down at the bottom of the page.

I don't think Google quite understood that you can not predict the language a person speaks based on their ip when they launched the web Play Store.

this isn't it either. it's already set as english. what i'm looking for is access to the u.s. play store with american movies/books.

thanks for your help though. guess i'll keep looking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.