Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Those of you with iPad unlimited data plans --

Are you able to simply swap SIMS between your iPad 3 and iPad mini? If so, has AT&T screamed at you yet?

I'm deciding which mini to get and I already have an iPad 3 w/UNL data. I'd prefer to swap the SIM from one device to the other when needed, but AT&T has generally been resistant to permitting that in the past. A wifi iPad mini seems rather useless as the benefit to me would be mobility since I have the iPad 3 at home already.

Thanks

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
nobody has a cellular ipad mini yet, so no one here can say for sure. also, the mini uses the nano sim, so you'll have to trim down your micro sim a bit.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
yes it will work, all you have to do is logon online and update the IMEI info for the included Sim, it will then update the nano sim. effortless

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
nobody has a cellular ipad mini yet, so no one here can say for sure. also, the mini uses the nano sim, so you'll have to trim down your micro sim a bit.

I knew they weren't out yet, but neglected to remember when I posted. I got a bit ahead of myself. :)

yes it will work, all you have to do is logon online and update the IMEI info for the included Sim, it will then update the nano sim. effortless

I'm wondering how frequently one can switch back and forth before AT&T has a fit.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I knew they weren't out yet, but neglected to remember when I posted. I got a bit ahead of myself. :)

I'm wondering how frequently one can switch back and forth before AT&T has a fit.

I have been swapping each time since the iPad1, you do it yourself, so not sure they even care...

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I have been swapping each time since the iPad1, you do it yourself, so not sure they even care...
You swap between iPad 1 and another iPad? And how often do you do this?

I have an iPad 2 with AT&T Unlimited Data and would like to be able to swap the accounts back and forth between it and an iPad mini with AT&T LTE. I won't do it on a daily basis, but maybe a few times a month.

I, too, would like to know whether AT&T will take notice if I keep changing the IMEI and ICCID frequently. And won't the SIM of the previous iPad be deactivated and rendered useless? It's too bad the SIM's are different (micro vs nano) otherwise it would just be a matter of inserting the SIM.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
There's no SIM swapping needed. Just enter your user/password in the cell data section in settings and your info should pop up with the option of moving your current plan to your curre t iPad. I've done it with every gen iPad and never had to SIM swap or go online to keep my same plan.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008

I have an iPad 2 with AT&T Unlimited Data and would like to be able to swap the accounts back and forth between it and an iPad mini with AT&T LTE. I won't do it on a daily basis, but maybe a few times a month.

I, too, would like to know whether AT&T will take notice if I keep changing the IMEI and ICCID frequently. And won't the SIM of the previous iPad be deactivated and rendered useless? It's too bad the SIM's are different (micro vs nano) otherwise it would just be a matter of inserting the SIM.

I see what your trying to do, I just meant transferring a plan, what you need is something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Normal-Adapter-Apple-iPhone/dp/B009B9YWB4

that will adapt a nano sim to a micro sim and then you dont have to do anything just pop the sim in when you want and it will be enabled.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I am hoping I can transfer my unlimited plan to an iPad mini, I'm sure it wont be an issue. It would be nice to easily switch back and forth between 2 iPads, but I am sure the mini is going to be the one I take with me all the time now. The iPad Retina, when it finally gets here, will probably be used primarily at home on wifi now. Getting all these new toys makes me want a tethering plan or a shared data plan, but I hate to give up the unlimited data.

LucasLee

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I have the ipad 3g since generation 1, generally you don't have to swap the sim. I used to do it when I first got my iPad 2 due to lack of knowledge, but when I move to iPad 3, all I had to do is log onto my AT&T account in setting on the new iPad and it works. Swapping the sim didn't seem to provide any advantage.

It is nice to have unlimited plan on 4G, permanent slingbox or splashtop remote when needed. You can basically put all your media files in your home computer and access it on the go. It really makes no sense for 4G to be limited.

I used to try to swap the sim back and forth quickly to try to see if there is a exploit in lag time for authentication so you get 3G on both device for a time period, but instead it seem cause a timeout and 3G would not work on both device for a period of time.

Last edited:

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I see what your trying to do, I just meant transferring a plan, what you need is something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Normal-Adapter-Apple-iPhone/dp/B009B9YWB4

that will adapt a nano sim to a micro sim and then you dont have to do anything just pop the sim in when you want and it will be enabled.

Ah, I forgot there were such adapters. And it's good to read the reviews that say the adapters work with no problems. I'll have to get one of these when I get myself an iPad mini with LTE. Thanks!

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California

To clarify, this is what I want to do.... Not transfer service one time. I've done that from my iPad 1, 2, and now 3 no problem. I'd like to put the SIM in the device I would need on the road... This would most likely be the mini, but would like to have the option of using it in the retina 3 at times.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
To clarify, this is what I want to do.... Not transfer service one time. I've done that from my iPad 1, 2, and now 3 no problem. I'd like to put the SIM in the device I would need on the road... This would most likely be the mini, but would like to have the option of using it in the retina 3 at times.

Other than the size difference in SIM cards you should be OK.

School tech guy

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Unlimited

I am hoping I can transfer my unlimited plan to an iPad mini, I'm sure it wont be an issue. It would be nice to easily switch back and forth between 2 iPads, but I am sure the mini is going to be the one I take with me all the time now. The iPad Retina, when it finally gets here, will probably be used primarily at home on wifi now. Getting all these new toys makes me want a tethering plan or a shared data plan, but I hate to give up the unlimited data.

Were you able to do this?

sls3000

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2009
I was able to transfer my unlimited plan from my Ipad 3 to my mini by just using the transfer account option in the cellular menu on the mini when I set it up.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I was able to transfer my unlimited plan from my Ipad 3 to my mini by just using the transfer account option in the cellular menu on the mini when I set it up.

Same here, quick and easy. Just login on the new ipad with your account.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Can I swap the SIM card back and forth (with the adapter from Amazon) and use the unlimited data on the mini and the iPad 3?

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
Those of you with iPad unlimited data plans --

Are you able to simply swap SIMS between your iPad 3 and iPad mini? If so, has AT&T screamed at you yet?

I'm deciding which mini to get and I already have an iPad 3 w/UNL data. I'd prefer to swap the SIM from one device to the other when needed, but AT&T has generally been resistant to permitting that in the past. A wifi iPad mini seems rather useless as the benefit to me would be mobility since I have the iPad 3 at home already.

Thanks
I just logged into my account on iPad mini. No SIM swap necessary.

----------

Can I swap the SIM card back and forth (with the adapter from Amazon) and use the unlimited data on the mini and the iPad 3?
You can. I don't believe AT&T has any restrictions on the number of equipment swaps or IMEI changes that can be made to an account.

I'd prefer to use one SIM and physically swap it between devices so that I don't have to log in to my account on each device every time I want to swap. If you do it this way, you'll have to change the IMEI on the account management website manually: https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/

----------

I'm curious if AT&T will have a fit if you do this frequently. They tend to be touchy on these type of things.
I've done it at least three times annually: original device (iPad n), warranty replacement (AppleCare iPad n), new revised device (iPad n+1).

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The sim sizes are different from the mini to the iPad 2/3 so you cannot just switch them.

I called ATT and had the device information updated. 5 minutes later my mini was LTE active and nothing else changed.

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
The sim sizes are different from the mini to the iPad 2/3 so you cannot just switch them.

I called ATT and had the device information updated. 5 minutes later my mini was LTE active and nothing else changed.
Use an adapter. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009ABEA7E

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
If the mini is a nano SIM and the IP3 is a micro sim...how?

And why even bother when ATT will switch the device in 20 seconds and for FREE.

I use the iPad 3 on weekdays and my mini on weekends. Woud I able to log back and forth between devices every week and not swap sim?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.