Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogboy122

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
r'lyeh
My Macbook is the white model with a Nvidia 9400m, 4GB RAM, and 2.0Ghz.
When I try to play games on Windows 7, the Macbook shuts down due to overheating, after a few minutes, I tried running SMC fan control, and then restarting to Windows, it kept the same fan speed but it still overheated and shut down, would resetting the SMC help? thanks in advance.

paolol61

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
Tuscany, Italy
Hi, first Game in VM is not the best option second you need at list 8g of ram on the mac and give 4-6 to the VM plus all the CPU minus 1 (let say 7 of 8 ).
On you MB I will try BootCamp is the best option for game.
:)

dogboy122

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
r'lyeh
Hi, first Game in VM is not the best option second you need at list 8g of ram on the mac and give 4-6 to the VM plus all the CPU minus 1 (let say 7 of 8 ).
On you MB I will try BootCamp is the best option for game.
:)

actually the topic clearly says I am running the games on Bootcamp not VMware.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
My Macbook is the white model with a Nvidia 9400m, 4GB RAM, and 2.0Ghz.
When I try to play games on Windows 7, the Macbook shuts down due to overheating, after a few minutes, I tried running SMC fan control, and then restarting to Windows, it kept the same fan speed but it still overheated and shut down, would resetting the SMC help? thanks in advance.

I tried installing Windows 7 on bootcamp and gave up after feeling the heat.

Apple has let us down with bootcamp by not supplying the proper fan utility or drivers to cool the system.

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
I tried installing Windows 7 on bootcamp and gave up after feeling the heat.

Apple has let us down with bootcamp by not supplying the proper fan utility or drivers to cool the system.

I think people experiencing this need to call AppleCare and see what they say, officially. On Linux this happens from time to time in development, so I know there is a role the kernel has in preventing overdriving a CPU to the point it heats up too much, before the CPU shuts down to protect itself. But then this works with ACPI, and I get very different ACPI results from the linux kernel on Apple hardware depending on whether I boot linux EFI vs CSM-BIOS leading me to believe this overheating problem may be CSM-BIOS and thus firmware related.

Anyway, I don't think it gets better unless users complain directly to Apple.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I think people experiencing this need to call AppleCare and see what they say, officially. On Linux this happens from time to time in development, so I know there is a role the kernel has in preventing overdriving a CPU to the point it heats up too much, before the CPU shuts down to protect itself. But then this works with ACPI, and I get very different ACPI results from the linux kernel on Apple hardware depending on whether I boot linux EFI vs CSM-BIOS leading me to believe this overheating problem may be CSM-BIOS and thus firmware related.

Anyway, I don't think it gets better unless users complain directly to Apple.

Well I hardly even ran the Windows. My iMac was cooking just as I finished installation and I decided this was no way to run a computer.

Now I run it in virtual machine and there is absolutely no issues. The virtual machine being a mac program.

So I started googling the issue and found out that lot of others have the same issue as well.

Calling Apple only results in "Sorry that could be a Microsoft Windows Issue which we dont support"... etc etc

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
Calling Apple only results in "Sorry that could be a Microsoft Windows Issue which we dont support"... etc etc

On Linux this is up to the kernel, which also interfaces with ACPI. On the one hand, Apple may be correct that this is a Microsoft problem since it's their kernel responsible for power management. On the other hand, it's vaguely possible the Windows kernel isn't getting all, or correct, information from ACPI because of CSM-BIOS booting. I get different ACPI kernel messages at boot time from linux depending on whether I EFI boot, or CSM-BIOS boot linux on the same hardware.

Since you've paid for Windows and hence support, you should call them and see what they have to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.