Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cranfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
How can I tell which WebKit version is running on my Mac Mini 2,1?

If I lookup the User Agent on Safari it will tell me the Browser version number and the WebKit version.

Is it as simple as this or is it possible for the underlying WebKkit version to be different from the one showing in the User Agent? Perhaps where an older version of Safari has been reinstalled. Will the User Agent always display the current WebKit version or just the one it originally came with?

I ask because I had some website layout problems around Webkit 534 and I want to test comprehensively that I have fixed it.

cranfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Thanks grizfan, I've seen the script before, could not use it, will try again.

The thing with the chart is - I have a version 5.06 Safari on my Mac os x 10.58 which shows WebKit version as 534.50.2 in the user agent - according to the chart this should be 533.22.3 (which is what shows against the Safari version in the user agent).

So the WebKit version seems to have moved on ahead of the Safari release version?

Cronax

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
Thanks grizfan, I've seen the script before, could not use it, will try again.

The thing with the chart is - I have a version 5.06 Safari on my Mac os x 10.58 which shows WebKit version as 534.50.2 in the user agent - according to the chart this should be 533.22.3 (which is what shows against the Safari version in the user agent).

So the WebKit version seems to have moved on ahead of the Safari release version?

You're right, the webkit version does move ahead of the Safari release version. This is also the reason why you can't really have multiple versions of Safari installed on the same computer, it will automatically use the latest version of WebKit it can find.

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I’m resurrecting this thread because it’s one of the first results in search engines for “check WebKit version on macOS”.

To find the macOS WebKit version, run from Terminal:
Code:
defaults read /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/version.plist CFBundleVersion
or
Code:
defaults read /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist CFBundleVersion

At this moment, Monterey – 17613.3.9.1.16, Ventura 18615.3.12.11.2, Sonoma 19617.2.4.11.8

"WebKit.framework Umbrella framework for rendering HTML content"
https://developer.apple.com/library...erview/SystemFrameworks/SystemFrameworks.html

For Safari’s WebKit version, the About Safari window or
Code:
defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleVersion
or
Code:
defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/version.plist CFBundleVersion

As “Safari 11.1 and all newer have AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (this part of UI is now frozen! ^)”
https://gist.github.com/jakub-g/48a16195280a7023f570ffa5c8a4eae5
tools like https://browserspy.dk/webkit.php always report “AppleWebKit version 605.1.15”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.