Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JABacchetta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I've read that the new iMacs won't be VESA compatible. Does this mean that there's absolutely no way to mount them at all with a monitor arm? Or just that you'll need to purchase a Mac-specific mount kit?

If there's no way to mount them, do you have any recommendations on getting the monitor to eye level? Having the monitor at the perfect level is extremely important to me, considering I spend upwards of 15 hours a day working at my computer.

Stacking the monitor on books isn't an option. I'm purchasing a sit/stand desk that can be raised with the push of a button, so anything that destabilizes the monitor wouldn't be a smart move.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
I've read that the new iMacs won't be VESA compatible. Does this mean that there's absolutely no way to mount them at all with a monitor arm? Or just that you'll need to purchase a Mac-specific mount kit?.

I was wondering that too since I think (and have posted) that the "foot" is an amazingly stupid and non-ergonomic feature from a company that prides itself on great design. It's bad enough that I had to buy a little block of aluminum for $40 and then an expensive, heavy-duty monitor arm in order to have my 2011 27" iMac at the correct level.

With what little I could see of the new iMac with the idiotic bulge in the middle so that the edges could be super cool looking (heavy sarcasm), it didn't appear that the existing VESA adapter would work. Maybe they'll come out with a new, even more expensive little block of aluminum for the new models :(

JABacchetta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I was wondering that too since I think (and have posted) that the "foot" is an amazingly stupid and non-ergonomic feature from a company that prides itself on great design. It's bad enough that I had to buy a little block of aluminum for $40 and then an expensive, heavy-duty monitor arm in order to have my 2011 27" iMac at the correct level.

With what little I could see of the new iMac with the idiotic bulge in the middle so that the edges could be super cool looking (heavy sarcasm), it didn't appear that the existing VESA adapter would work. Maybe they'll come out with a new, even more expensive little block of aluminum for the new models :(

Yeah, that's the thing about Apple. As much as they've been praised for their innovation, it seems like some of the simplest things you could possibly do are ignored. And that gives a lot of us the perception that they're stubborn, for no other reason than to be stubborn.

I'll be honest, I'm drooling over these latest models... so chances are I'll buy one anyway. But I'll be very annoyed if there's no way to mount them.

By the way, I know for a fact that the existing VESA adapters won't work, because it says so on the product page. But I didn't know if there were other non-VESA kits made specifically for the iMacs. Or if maybe anyone had heard about a new kit for the 2012 versions.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Yeah, that's the thing about Apple. As much as they've been praised for their innovation, it seems like some of the simplest things you could possibly do are ignored. And that gives a lot of us the perception that they're stubborn, for no other reason than to be stubborn.

I'll be honest, I'm drooling over these latest models... so chances are I'll buy one anyway. But I'll be very annoyed if there's no way to mount them.

By the way, I know for a fact that the existing VESA adapters won't work, because it says so on the product page. But I didn't know if there were other non-VESA kits made specifically for the iMacs. Or if maybe anyone had heard about a new kit for the 2012 versions.

Thanks for the info. I won't buy a new one and I'll soon be selling the one I have. I really hate all-in-ones, especially with Apple's level of integration since you can't upgrade and any repairs usually cost a fortune. I really wanted a Mac Pro with 3 Dell 27" monitors but the 27" iMac with 2 Dell monitors came out about $1k cheaper, so I went for it.

I'm just going to switch to a 13" or 15" rMBA with the 2 Dell monitors and sell my iMac and 11" MBA. Having just one computer will be so much simpler since I spend half my time keeping them synced up and having to update every app twice.

Anyone looking for excellent condition 2011 27" iMac 2.7 quad i7 + 12GB RAM or a 2011 11" MBA with 4GB RAM and the big 256GB SSD?

durhambullsfan

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Has anyone learned anything more about this problem? I was all set to buy one of the new iMacs before I realized this problem. I use a standing desk setup that requires the use of a VESA mount (the Workfit-S by Ergotron) so I can't buy the iMac if it's not mountable. Thanks.

JABacchetta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Has anyone learned anything more about this problem? I was all set to buy one of the new iMacs before I realized this problem. I use a standing desk setup that requires the use of a VESA mount (the Workfit-S by Ergotron) so I can't buy the iMac if it's not mountable. Thanks.

Unfortunately there isn't a solution yet. I'm also ordering a stand/sit desk myself so I know exactly what you mean. It's pretty annoying that Apple couldn't add something as simple as VESA compatibility.

Looks like I'll be ordering a MacBook Pro and then just connecting it to a mounted Samsung monitor when I'm at my desk.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
This may work for you. It's a VESA mount that attaches to the hole in the iMac stand. The foot of the stand may not let you get the iMac low enough for your needs. As a bonus that same foot becomes a floating shelf.
http://www.imacmount.com/imac-vesa-adapter.html

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
This may work for you. It's a VESA mount that attaches to the hole in the iMac stand. The foot of the stand may not let you get the iMac low enough for your needs. As a bonus that same foot becomes a floating shelf.
http://www.imacmount.com/imac-vesa-adapter.html

at least the option is out there. i think it looks stupid with the foot just hanging there like that but its better then nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.