Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
When watching movie with letter box in a dark room you'll see how beautiful it is with light bleeding. Otherwise, web surfing's normally in white background. So, inconsistency in one colour will be easy to indicate.

In a dark room I turn the brightness down to 30% brightness or less. I have owned every single iPad. And I saw the same issue as you on both my iPad 2 and 3.... when I put up an all black pic at full screen and turned the brightness to 100% and tilted the iPad sideways.

In the real world I never noticed or encountered the issue.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Yeah what good is that when almost all of them have the issue, as the OP noted his second one had it as well but he's living with it.... I think I'll stick with my 3rd gen for now.

And this equates to almost all of them how? The problem with tech forums is that there is a perceived macro issue as forums have a tendency to lean on the negative aspects to see if others have the same problem and those that typically respond are those with the same issue. This can be incorrectly perceived as a macro issue. Someone receiving two in a row is definitely the exception and not the rule. I could be wrong however, there could indeed be a macro issue, but ill take my chances on probability, which is what most of us do when we make a tech purchase no? Just my opinion and nothing more.

----------

In a dark room I turn the brightness down to 30% brightness or less. I have owned every single iPad. And I saw the same issue as you on both my iPad 2 and 3.... when I put up an all black pic at full screen and turned the brightness to 100% and tilted the iPad sideways.

In the real world I never noticed or encountered the issue.

In this same vein, my hp touchpad and nexus 7 do this same thing. Come to think of it, so did both my MacBook pros and both MacBook airs did this to some degree.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
The one thing I have learned with these screens is the variance of this issue. I quickly learned not to go looking for it - just do a quick test of how you will use it in worst case scenario i.e. for me it was around 1/3 brightness with a dark image in darkness. If it was obvious I would change it, otherwise it was a keeper. My iPad 1 was fine - only minimal light bleeding at 100% brightness in a dark room. I went through three iPad 2's before I got one I was happy with and I lucked out with my iPad 3 which was fine with the first one.
As an FYI, my iPad 3 if I did the same test of a black image @ 100% brightness in a pitch black room, I could see a little bleed but I never ever noticed this in real world use.
As for the colour temp, I loved the whiteness of my iPad 3 but noticed that all images I printed out to a couple of different printers always came out too warm. I would need to look further into this but this suggests that the ipad 3 was too white and should have a warmer screen to make things more accurate.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
My mini's screen is perfect that why I have a complaint about my ipad4's screen.

I went to my local store yesterday and had a comparison between mine and in-store ipad4. Both are in max brightness.

If I try to get an exchange the odd won't change. Stay with my current ipad4s, happy like a pig under sunshine :eek:.

Bad quality control ever made by Apple...

The thing that is most apparent to me with these images is how uneven the lighting is on both of them. If the camera is taking a true picture of the screens and not distorting it, that is. I wouldn't want either of those. I went through numerous iPad 3s to find one that had mostly even backlighting. Over the last few months, I've come to notice that it is not completely even. But it was the best out of all of them.

Is it true that the screens for the iPad 4 are made by LG, vs. Samsung for the iPad 3?

Because I don't know how the manufacturing process works, I just don't understand what is so difficult about getting backlighting to be even on a screen. I was in Best Buy the other day, and they had two iPad 4s, one iPad 2, and one Mini on display. Looking at the screens with an empty white screen in Safari, the iPad 2 and Mini had very evenly lit screens. The first iPad 4 was noticably dimmer along the left edge. The second one had dark corners along the bottom of the screen.

Originally I was thinking of replacing my iPad 3 with a 4 with the hopes of getting a more evenly lit screen. Now I'm not so sure that it would make any difference at all.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Originally I was thinking of replacing my iPad 3 with a 4 with the hopes of getting a more evenly lit screen. Now I'm not so sure that it would make any difference at all.

While it is inconvenient, Apple seem happy enough to swap devices over if you are not satisfied with the screen - never had a problem exchanging them and there are good ones out there so it is definitely worth the effort imo.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
4j2ki9.jpg

It seems like they've done nothing with the screens. What a shame... I'm going back to the store to get that exchanged ASAP. If two more will have the same problem, I'm done.

On the other hand, my friend's iPad mini is fantastic!

my morning deuce looks better than that

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
While it is inconvenient, Apple seem happy enough to swap devices over if you are not satisfied with the screen - never had a problem exchanging them and there are good ones out there so it is definitely worth the effort imo.
I had a different experience with the Apple store near me. They were willing to swap twice, then they told me to get lost. So the rest of my iPad 3 swaps were at Best Buy and Target.

My point is more that in spite of the number of swaps that I did to get my current iPad 3 screen, there were none that had completely even backlighting. Most of them looked like the pictures from the previous page. If that's how they are still coming out, then moving to the 4 would do me little good, because I'd probably still end up with an unevenly lit screen.

I suppose I could give one a try, and then return it if it has backlighting issues.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Sold my iPad 3 and paid off my mini.

The mini has a perfectly uniform screen. I went through 8 iPad 3's and even the last one wasn't good but I stuck with it. In the end, I have a very bad opinion of Apple now, because: 1) for selling such bad displays, and 2) screwing me (and others) over by making me lose 1/3 of the price I paid for it (the last one I bought was in july, so :/) by releasing a major update after only 7 months.

Though I love my mini, it sucks that it isn't retina, because it is a little jarring to my eyes when switching back and forth between various devices.

This is disgusting that Apple knows about these screen issues and yet hasn't seemingly done anything to fix them after 8 months now.

My screen issues varied, but most all of them had a disgusting yellowing in at least one of the corners, usually the top left as in the posters a couple posts up.

I Hope and Pray that IGZO fixes these problems, and it's just because of the current dual backlights causing these issues.

----------

I had a different experience with the Apple store near me. They were willing to swap twice, then they told me to get lost. So the rest of my iPad 3 swaps were at Best Buy and Target.

My point is more that in spite of the number of swaps that I did to get my current iPad 3 screen, there were none that had completely even backlighting. Most of them looked like the pictures from the previous page. If that's how they are still coming out, then moving to the 4 would do me little good, because I'd probably still end up with an unevenly lit screen.

I suppose I could give one a try, and then return it if it has backlighting issues.

They told me to take a hike, and that I was banned from buying anymore, because I admitted I had returned several through AppleCAre over the phone. All I wanted was to see my new iPad in store before I walked out with it.

GREAT customer service /s. Then Senior support couldn't even get answers from that store when they confronted them about how they treated me. I just gave up after that point.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012

The mini has a perfectly uniform screen. I went through 8 iPad 3's and even the last one wasn't good but I stuck with it. In the end, I have a very bad opinion of Apple now, because: 1) for selling such bad displays, and 2) screwing me (and others) over by making me lose 1/3 of the price I paid for it (the last one I bought was in july, so :/) by releasing a major update after only 7 months.

Though I love my mini, it sucks that it isn't retina, because it is a little jarring to my eyes when switching back and forth between various devices.

This is disgusting that Apple knows about these screen issues and yet hasn't seemingly done anything to fix them after 8 months now.

My screen issues varied, but most all of them had a disgusting yellowing in at least one of the corners, usually the top left as in the posters a couple posts up.

I Hope and Pray that IGZO fixes these problems, and it's just because of the current dual backlights causing these issues.

I wonder if these flaws are just a result of the limits of the technology. I've seen so many flawed iPad 3 screens, between my purchases and the ones in the various stores. Uneven lighting, yellow corners, pink and green tints... I've seen it all. The one I settled on is better than the others. But it was settling, because it is also not evenly lit. It's dimmer in the top left corner.

I understand what you mean about switching back and forth. I have an iPad 2 that I use at work. While the screen is unflawed and very evenly lit, the lack of retina is a bit difficult to get used to after a night of using my iPad 3.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I wonder if these flaws are just a result of the limits of the technology. I've seen so many flawed iPad 3 screens, between my purchases and the ones in the various stores. Uneven lighting, yellow corners, pink and green tints... I've seen it all. The one I settled on is better than the others. But it was settling, because it is also not evenly lit. It's dimmer in the top left corner.

I understand what you mean about switching back and forth. I have an iPad 2 that I use at work. While the screen is unflawed and very evenly lit, the lack of retina is a bit difficult to get used to after a night of using my iPad 3.

I'm all but certain it's the display tech. they settled on because IGZO wasn't ready. I read they need two backlight bars to light that many pixels. The diffusion layer used obviously can't cope with this.

My iPad 2 and iPad mini were/are both evenly lit. The 2 had a little backlight bleed, but nothing worth returning for.

The mini - perfect. In fact the mini also has a BRIGHT backlight, I have to turn it down to A little over half so it doesn't burn out my retinas :) The iPad 3's I had, all had very dim backlight lighting - which would have been OK had they not all suffered from being unevenly lit/tinted/giant specks of dust.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
I must be the luckiest person ever, I get every new apple device and have never once had these issues or anything remotely like it. Meanwhile, people return 5, 10 devices because they all share the same defects

(sarcastic)

----------

----------

They told me to take a hike, and that I was banned from buying anymore, because I admitted I had returned several through AppleCAre over the phone. All I wanted was to see my new iPad in store before I walked out with it.

GREAT customer service /s. Then Senior support couldn't even get answers from that store when they confronted them about how they treated me. I just gave up after that point.

Hard to make money on someone repeatedly opening their devices and to sit around whining

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I must be the luckiest person ever, I get every new apple device and have never once had these issues or anything remotely like it. Meanwhile, people return 5, 10 devices because they all share the same defects

(sarcastic)

----------

Hard to make money on someone repeatedly opening their devices and to sit around whining

Hard to make money from people not buying your devices because the person you attempted to slam has let everyone they know about the screen issues, and they won't touch them with a 10ft pole.

Apple screwed the QC, not me.

I wouldn't have returned more than 2 if I could actually have opened one in the store. Unfortunately, Apple insisted each time I send it back in over the phone. Then, the above happened when I tried to rectify the problem myself.

Again. Their problem not mine.

Mini - perfect out of the box.

I recommend that product now, and tell others to forget about the iPad 4 until Apple has fixed their damn screens.

I honestly can't see how anyone can put their blinders on to this problem when it's being reported EVERYWHERE.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
What stability? There's no difference in the production of the screen assembly from the iPad 3. I went through 5 of those to get an ok one. Nothing has changed. You can wait all you like but the only guarantee is there's no guarantee.

I went through that with the 2. My 3 was great if not perfect out of the box and that's why I have no desire to upgrade. For those who think it's OCD to want a device that's not defective I say you have very low standards. ;)

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009

That's about what mine looks like. Small amount of bleeding on the edge, but only with the backlight cranked up. I've also got a dead pixel, but it's so, so small it's only just BARELY noticeable on a totally black screen with max screen brightness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.