Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luiss11

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
Model number on replacements

I found this:
Apple iPhone 5 16GB White AT&T MD635LL/A

Apple iPhone 5 16GB Black AT&T MD634LL/A

Apple iPhone 5 32GB White AT&T MD637LL/A

Apple iPhone 5 32GB Black AT&T MD636LL/A

Apple iPhone 5 64GB White AT&T MD645LL/A

Apple iPhone 5 64GB Black AT&T MD644LL/A

My replaced Iphone 5 is model number ND296LL

I noticed it has less screen quality than my spouse's brand NEW Iphone 5. It's less bright and less colorful, causes eye fatigue. I will talk to at&t about this and try and get a new replacement somehow. This is not good.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I found this:
Apple iPhone 5 16GB White AT&T MD635LL/A

Apple iPhone 5 16GB Black AT&T MD634LL/A

Apple iPhone 5 32GB White AT&T MD637LL/A

Apple iPhone 5 32GB Black AT&T MD636LL/A

Apple iPhone 5 64GB White AT&T MD645LL/A

Apple iPhone 5 64GB Black AT&T MD644LL/A

My replaced Iphone 5 is model number ND296LL

I noticed it has less screen quality than my spouse's brand NEW Iphone 5. It's less bright and less colorful, causes eye fatigue. I will talk to at&t about this and try and get a new replacement somehow. This is not good.
Check your auto brightness, i bet that is what it is. If you turn it up, you will notice a huge difference.

Go to settings > Brightness & wall paper

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
My launch iPhone 5 got dust under the lens in just the last few days, was visible as two purple lint like marks on every photo and visible in the camera display, really large actually. They replaced the phone with a new one on the spot no questions asked. Very happy, although concerned as a search of iPhone 5 camera dust brings up others with the issue and my iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 never had a speck ever get in the lens in 2 years each, let alone a month.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
do i have to make an appointment at my local apple store to exchange my out of the box scuffed iphone 5, or can i just show up when the store opens and exchange it? i'm thinking i'll go monday morning to exchange it.

also what exactly is a white box replacement, can someone explain it to me?

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
do i have to make an appointment at my local apple store to exchange my out of the box scuffed iphone 5, or can i just show up when the store opens and exchange it? i'm thinking i'll go monday morning to exchange it.

also what exactly is a white box replacement, can someone explain it to me?

If the iPhone was bought from Apple and under 14 days you wouldn't need an appointment.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Got my black/slate 32GB AT&T a couple of days ago. It has 4 sub-millimeter-sized discolorations in the anodized aluminum. The phone operates perfectly otherwise (it does rattle). I have an Apple store 5 miles from me but I'm on the fence as to whether to even bother to get a replacement.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
Got my black/slate 32GB AT&T a couple of days ago. It has 4 sub-millimeter-sized discolorations in the anodized aluminum. The phone operates perfectly otherwise (it does rattle). I have an Apple store 5 miles from me but I'm on the fence as to whether to even bother to get a replacement.

i'm in the same boat as you. mine has minor black superficial scuffs on the lower portion of the aluminum backing. i say go exchange it. i will go monday to exchange mine. but i dont want to go with the hassle of openining multiple boxes. i want to exchange it for another black one and pray it's not scuffed. if its scuffed i'll just get a full refund and try my luck at ordering a black iphone 5 through verizon and pray its not scuffed.

adclawrence

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
First iPhone 5 (F1, rest unknown) had very loose buttons and EXTREME interlacing/scan lines/flicker.
Second (current) iPhone 5 (F2, week 45 Zengzhou Foxconn), which I went into the Vodafone store and they offered me a brand new sealed retail unit has a perfect screen, tiny scuff on the metal corner that's only noticeable in light and is less than a millimetre in length which I don't care about the slightest, and a slighty loud vibration motor (compared to the 4S) which I assume is normal.

If anyone else is having interlacing issues, I'm sorry to break it to you, but that problem will not go away. The screen will remain flickery and blurry.

Get a replacement ASAP.

Last edited:

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
Check your auto brightness, i bet that is what it is. If you turn it up, you will notice a huge difference.

Go to settings > Brightness & wall paper

just a warning, if you turn up brightness, your battery life will go way down

nadds1590

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Help needed

Hi there,

Am having an issue with a second-hand iPhone 5 I bought. It is still under warranty. Basically the signal will randomly go off sometimes - it says 02-UK but has no bars so I can't call or text. Really annoying as I love this phone but sometimes the signal is full. o2 have said its not their coverage its the phone but I'm worried that if i take it to Apple store the phone will be on full reception and they will think i'm trying to scam them. What can I do?

yateseyd1991

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
UK
Hi there,

Am having an issue with a second-hand iPhone 5 I bought. It is still under warranty. Basically the signal will randomly go off sometimes - it says 02-UK but has no bars so I can't call or text. Really annoying as I love this phone but sometimes the signal is full. o2 have said its not their coverage its the phone but I'm worried that if i take it to Apple store the phone will be on full reception and they will think i'm trying to scam them. What can I do?

Sounds to me like your iPhone may have been blocked by the previous owner rather than a hardware fault

:apple: iPhone 5 32GB Black, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPod Video 5.5G 120gb, Shure SE425's :apple:

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Sounds to me like your iPhone may have been blocked by the previous owner rather than a hardware fault

:apple: iPhone 5 32GB Black, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPod Video 5.5G 120gb, Shure SE425's :apple:

I had the same thing happen to me on an iPhone 5 for Verizon and brought it to Apple and they replaced it. They were originally going to attempt to do a 'restore" but I told the genius I had already done one and he got me a replacement. However, the new replacement has a blemish on the chamfer edge which the genius was happy to replace again but they did not have anymore 32GB iPhone Black so he said to return another day to get replacement.

ChrisJM

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
iPhone 5 Gumtree

I got an iPhone via Gumtree thats brand new sealed, what the guy failed to tell me is its locked to three. Now i have been around 3 stores and they are the most impossible people to try and get a phone unlocked since they want you to have owned the phone for a month, yet they do not sell Nano sims in store *facepalm*

This phones has not even to activated or used and i just want to use giffgaff with it.

Anything i can do with spending a lot of money for it to get unlocked thus voiding the warrenty (quickly)

Please any help :'(

Anajaf27

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Get it unlocked from ebay or other sites

There is a thread about this called "imei unlock sites" I think

You'll have your answer there

Good luck

V0RT3X

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
You should get someone to unlock it on their Three account for 15 pounds. Or try trading it on avforums for a O2 unit. (I guess giffgaff is on there)

jayrflow

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2013
Is anyone else's iPhone 5 on Verizon like really horrible on battery life? The other day I was streaming Slacker Radio while I was on Tweebot n it seemed like the battery was going down a percent every minute. Also it would get really hot if Im charging it n using it at the same time. Is all this normal? I've wiped the phone clean n everything. I'm thinking about getting a replacement at the Apple store

Rob180sx

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Can anyone who recently received an exchange program iPhone 5 verify what version of ios it is shipped with?

SmacTX

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Can anyone who recently received an exchange program iPhone 5 verify what version of ios it is shipped with?

iPhone 5 64GB (White) at&t with 6.1.2 brought in today, less than 3 hours ago; was replaced with ND643LL/A (whitebox warranty replacement of same model) - new device came with iOS 6.1 (10B143).

I brought it home and updated to 6.1.2 (10B146).

Device was already factory unlocked through an online service; replacement was unlocked as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.