Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Srkpplz

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Viber isn't allowing me to make calls through my regular carrier on my iPod touch. How do I get viber to work properly? I can't make calls and viber isn't importing my contacts list. I live in the USA and I have Verizon. I am updated to iOS 6 and have the most recent version of viber.

Any help plz? Thx

Last edited:

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Viber isn't allowing me to make calls through my regular carrier on my iPod touch. How do I get viber to work properly? I can't make calls and viber isn't importing my contacts list. I live in the USA and I have Verizon. I am updated to iOS 6 and have the most recent version of viber.

Any help plz? Thx

Hi,
iPods cannot make calls through your carrier, since they are not cellular phones (they don't have a SIM card).

With an iPod, you can only make calls with Viber over WiFi networks. Viber should synchronize the contact list that is saved locally on your iPod. If your contacts are not there, then you should manually add them, and then Viber will refresh itself and automatically recognize whether or not they have Viber installed.

mamjjasond

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Hi - I have been having a similar problem to what others in this thread are mentioning. I get headlines/notifications of viber messages, and a message count on the icon, but no messages showing up in the app itself. I turned the phone off and back on just now and all the messages I could not see before were visible in the app after the the restart. I really think you have a bug here.

iphone 4S,
latest ios and viber version.
texting between usa and philippines.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi - I have been having a similar problem to what others in this thread are mentioning. I get headlines/notifications of viber messages, and a message count on the icon, but no messages showing up in the app itself. I turned the phone off and back on just now and all the messages I could not see before were visible in the app after the the restart. I really think you have a bug here.

iphone 4S,
latest ios and viber version.
texting between usa and philippines.

Hi,
We plan to release a major update to Viber for iPhones soon. Hopefully with that update, the problem will be resolved. We'd appreciate if you could test it once it's released, and let us know if it's fixed or not. We'll be right here to assist you if the problem persists :)

We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

Malibooo

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
messages not showing up

I just installed viber yesterday on my iphone 4s for the first time – provider T-mobile and it’s an unlocked phone, location MN, USA - I have a serious issue with Viber. I have received messages that they show up on my iPhone screen banner when it's locked and when I unlock the phone and go to the Viber app there is no trace of those messages and same thing with missed calls. It's like they have never been sent or came. One message was from a number that I already have in my contacts and the other is from a number which has just added me but I don't have it yet on my contact list.

Also I have added numbers to my contacts list that I know for sure have viber but viber never updated to recognize it’s a viber user. Also when the messages come in they don’t show the contact name, they only show their numbers.

I have uninstalled viber and reinstalled it but it just seemed to continually synch with my contacts and still does, as if there isn’t a list to synch with – it seems hung to me but it’s still going to for over an hour now.

Viber Please help. Thank you

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
I just installed viber yesterday on my iphone 4s for the first time – provider T-mobile and it’s an unlocked phone, location MN, USA - I have a serious issue with Viber. I have received messages that they show up on my iPhone screen banner when it's locked and when I unlock the phone and go to the Viber app there is no trace of those messages and same thing with missed calls. It's like they have never been sent or came. One message was from a number that I already have in my contacts and the other is from a number which has just added me but I don't have it yet on my contact list.

Also I have added numbers to my contacts list that I know for sure have viber but viber never updated to recognize it’s a viber user. Also when the messages come in they don’t show the contact name, they only show their numbers.

I have uninstalled viber and reinstalled it but it just seemed to continually synch with my contacts and still does, as if there isn’t a list to synch with – it seems hung to me but it’s still going to for over an hour now.

Viber Please help. Thank you

About the first issue - this is a known issue with some phones, and we hope that it is fixed in our upcoming new update. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience, and we'd appreciate your feedback from the new upcoming version.

About the second problem - The source of this issue could greatly vary. Please read this short page in our HelpDesk, outlining some possible workarounds that will help reboot synchronization of the contact list: http://bit.ly/rRtPqk

lukat93

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
About the first issue - this is a known issue with some phones, and we hope that it is fixed in our upcoming new update. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience, and we'd appreciate your feedback from the new upcoming version.

About the second problem - The source of this issue could greatly vary. Please read this short page in our HelpDesk, outlining some possible workarounds that will help reboot synchronization of the contact list: http://bit.ly/rRtPqk

Hi there,
so here's my trouble. I used Viber in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and now I use it in Austria, and it worked fine or me, all UNTIL I updated to the latest version, 3 days ago. Now I get a notification that I received a message and should "update to the latest version of Viber" to see it. There are still badges with numbers on the app icon showing how many messages I have, but the app itself is empty - no messages, no contacts (it starts to sync and goes on eternaly), and when I try to make calls manually to a friend with Viber, it says "there seems to be a problem connecting to viber's service." I am also doubting some kind of incompatibility with iOS 6.1 as my gmail server also stopped working as I updated my iPhone.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi there,
so here's my trouble. I used Viber in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and now I use it in Austria, and it worked fine or me, all UNTIL I updated to the latest version, 3 days ago. Now I get a notification that I received a message and should "update to the latest version of Viber" to see it. There are still badges with numbers on the app icon showing how many messages I have, but the app itself is empty - no messages, no contacts (it starts to sync and goes on eternaly), and when I try to make calls manually to a friend with Viber, it says "there seems to be a problem connecting to viber's service." I am also doubting some kind of incompatibility with iOS 6.1 as my gmail server also stopped working as I updated my iPhone.

Hi there,

Have you made sure that you and those contacts are running the latest version of Viber?

lukat93

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Hi there,

Have you made sure that you and those contacts are running the latest version of Viber?

Yes, I tried it out with a friend from here. He has an iPhone 4, but has not updated to iOS 6.01, but has updated Viber. Everything works fine for him, but I could not read his message.

lukat93

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Yes, I tried it out with a friend from here. He has an iPhone 4, but has not updated to iOS 6.01, but has updated Viber. Everything works fine for him, but I could not read his message.

And here's more info: my girlfriend living with me also has Viber, installed on Android platform. Her Viber didn't work either while she was in our home. Now she got back to Bosnia and Herzegovina, and her Viber is working again (she changed her sim card there though). I told her to try and send me a message, but she couldn't, as she got this message "this contact no longer has viber installed. send regular sms message instead?"
:confused:

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
And here's more info: my girlfriend living with me also has Viber, installed on Android platform. Her Viber didn't work either while she was in our home. Now she got back to Bosnia and Herzegovina, and her Viber is working again (she changed her sim card there though). I told her to try and send me a message, but she couldn't, as she got this message "this contact no longer has viber installed. send regular sms message instead?"
:confused:

It could be that the network you are connected to is blocking Viber's traffic.

1. First, please try uninstalling and reinstalling Viber when connecting to a few different WiFi networks (in order to pinpoint the source of the problem). What are the results?
2. Also, please make sure the following ports are enabled ("forwarded") on your routers or firewalls:
TCP: 5242 + 4244
UDP: 5243 + 9785

(if you are not sure how to enable ports, you may contact your router manufacturer)

lukat93

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013

1. First, please try uninstalling and reinstalling Viber when connecting to a few different WiFi networks (in order to pinpoint the source of the problem). What are the results?
2. Also, please make sure the following ports are enabled ("forwarded") on your routers or firewalls:

(if you are not sure how to enable ports, you may contact your router manufacturer)

I've no intention trying playing with ports, anyway I won't find it a hard time not using viber anymore. Still, here's one more update: today the badge on the app icon reappeared and I could read all the messages I received in the meantime.

EDIT:
And now it started working every now-and-then. I could send a message two hours ago (so there couldn't be a port problem), but now it won't send (the red windows showing "resend" appears). My contacts are now back though, and it appears as if it just might start working in a few days, for unknown reasons, just as it stopped working.

Last edited:

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
I've no intention trying playing with ports, anyway I won't find it a hard time not using viber anymore. Still, here's one more update: today the badge on the app icon reappeared and I could read all the messages I received in the meantime.

EDIT:
And now it started working every now-and-then. I could send a message two hours ago (so there couldn't be a port problem), but now it won't send (the red windows showing "resend" appears). My contacts are now back though, and it appears as if it just might start working in a few days, for unknown reasons, just as it stopped working.

Hi again,
This is not entirely true - it could be that the source of the problem is still a network issue, and that the ports are not correctly configured (and so it "stutters"). As we said, we recommend to check it with the network administrators, or at least test Viber on a few different fully-working WiFi networks.

apmos

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
The problem with messages never being displayed in conversation is still here! When do you plan fixing this?

iPhone 5, 6.1.2, Viber latest ver

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
The problem with messages never being displayed in conversation is still here! When do you plan fixing this?

iPhone 5, 6.1.2, Viber latest ver

Hi,
Thanks for your report. We were not aware that this problem remained (we haven't received similar reports from other users).

We kindly ask that you take a minute and report the details of the problem to our support team using this direct link: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0 (when you submit the ticket, please make sure to add the URL of our conversation). With this information, our development team will hopefully be able to find the source of the problem, and ultimately resolve it.

Thanks in advance :)

benlinus121

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
First, please make sure that this isn't a network issue. Test Viber on a few different WiFi networks and see if the problems remain there, definately you wil get the solution

----------

First, please make sure that this isn't a network issue. Test Viber on a few different WiFi networks and see if the problems remain there, definitely you will get the solution

KuglicsL

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
Hy there!
I'm also having this problem. I sent a message, but the app didn't show it. But when I received a message, the notification window show up. When I went into the app, it only displayed the messages I sent yesterday.
Android, latest Viber, wifi network.
Thanks!

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hy there!
I'm also having this problem. I sent a message, but the app didn't show it. But when I received a message, the notification window show up. When I went into the app, it only displayed the messages I sent yesterday.
Android, latest Viber, wifi network.
Thanks!

Hi,
Are you sure this wasn't a temporary connection problem?
Please test Viber on a few different WiFi networks. Has the problem occurred again?

Claudio JoCastr

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2013
Hi i succesfully instal viber on my ipod touch and i load all my contacts but when i wrote a new message i could not send it because the "send" icon is innactive
What can i do???

----------

Hi i succesfully instal viber on my ipod touch and i load all my contacts but when i wrote a new message i could not send it because the "send" icon is innactive
What can i do???

Should i try sending the invitation to my contact by email?

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
What can i do???

----------

Should i try sending the invitation to my contact by email?

* If it still fails, please specify what country you're located in, and which cellular network you're subscribed to.

zeriley

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2013
Viber notification with preview shows up- Message not available in viber.

Hi there

I’m current using iOS 6.1.4 and definitely have the latest version of viber with all updates installed. I’m located in Australia trying to send a message to a mobile in Canada. Each time I receive a message, the notification comes through, but the message is nowhere to be found in viber. This happens almost every single time I receive a message from recipients (not only to Canada).

Viber representative, can you please advise when this issue will be rectified? Clearly this thread shows a number of people are experiencing the same problem.

Thank you very much.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi there

I’m current using iOS 6.1.4 and definitely have the latest version of viber with all updates installed. I’m located in Australia trying to send a message to a mobile in Canada. Each time I receive a message, the notification comes through, but the message is nowhere to be found in viber. This happens almost every single time I receive a message from recipients (not only to Canada).

Viber representative, can you please advise when this issue will be rectified? Clearly this thread shows a number of people are experiencing the same problem.

Thank you very much.

Hi there,

We've just released a major new update for Viber (version 3.0). Please make sure both you and your contact in Canada install this version, and let me know if the problem persists.

* In addition, we've also released Viber Desktop!!

Jest88

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Hi Viber,
I am having the exact same problem as many people on this thread, with messages showing up as a notification and disappearing when I check them in Viber.

I have switched from "banners" to "badges" which seems to have helped the problem for now, but the messages that were missing still are.

Hopefully the badges thing will help other people but I can see from this thread that this problem has been going on for at least six months. I have the latest version of viber (installed last week), as do the people I'm messaging. When are you going to get around to fixing this problem?

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi Viber,
I am having the exact same problem as many people on this thread, with messages showing up as a notification and disappearing when I check them in Viber.

I have switched from "banners" to "badges" which seems to have helped the problem for now, but the messages that were missing still are.

Hopefully the badges thing will help other people but I can see from this thread that this problem has been going on for at least six months. I have the latest version of viber (installed last week), as do the people I'm messaging. When are you going to get around to fixing this problem?

Hi there,
Thank you for details.

We are still examining this problem. In general, the notification method that the user chooses should not be the cause for the message to completely disappear.

We would appreciate if you could take a minute and report the details to our support team using this direct link: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0 (when you submit the ticket, please make sure to add the URL of our conversation). With this information, our development team will hopefully be able to find the source of the problem, and ultimately resolve it.

Thanks in advance :)

mimewicked

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
My viber not showin messages

Hi there,
I have an Iphone 3gs and I use viber for over a year now
version 3.1.5
I update it every time there is an update for it on the app store
recently I am having an issue with it, when my phone is locked it shows the number of the messages I have received but when I unloc it and go online they dont show anymore its like they have never been there
could someone please help me
thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.