Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
Preface: ex-employees bad mouthing do not overly concern me. Ex-employees offer their own personal insights and the trick is getting past whatever baggage they carry to decide how much of what they are saying you believe to be valid... In short a guessing game that may or may not be revealed in retrospect.

I tend to focus on empirical evidence. Not necessarily big ground-shaking events, more like extremely minor tremors that may or may not portend where the company is going.

For instance, there's a new Macworld article on Apple starting to sell Mountain Leopard again. Why was it brought back? Link here.

“Snow Leopard was pulled from Apple’s site after Mountain Lion was launched earlier this year, however, following the launch of iOS 6 in September it emerged that iOS 6 required iTunes 10.6, which required Snow Leopard,” Haslam reports. “As we wrote at the time iOS 6 launched, users were finding that having updated their iPhone or iPad to iOS 6 their device was rendered incompatible with the version of iTunes they were running on their Mac, and in some cases it was impossible to upgrade their Mac to a version of iTunes that was compatible because they were running a OS that predated Snow Leopard.”​

This kind of left hand not talking to right hand is deeply troubling to me. Frankly it feels like the kind of sloppiness I'd expect from the Ballmer & Gates Two Ring Traveling Show.

Beyond the troubling questions this raises with software development, I think it is endemic to a culture change underway in Cupertino.

There was once a time when Apple Genii were required to have an indepth knowledge of older Appe hardware and software. I'm guessing that isn't the case anymore. With the accelerated product development cycles there seems to be an added focus on new features and functionality that is only available on the newest boxes. I understand that's how you sell new boxes.

The change seems to me more a reflection of de-valuing that which came before. I realize this is somewhat intangible and therefore contradicts my earlier stated belief in the empirical but when you're discussing culture you sometimes have to go with your gut.

It seems Apple is moving away from the relationship business into the box business. I question how well, in the long-term, that shift will serve them.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
Snow Leopard was always available. You could call to order it and now it's available on their online store. What's the difference?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
To me this more proves a problem with apple puss poor support of there older os's. The fact that windows has better support for Apple's software than Apple does is something in of itself. The fact that a computer from 2000 that runs windows can still upgrade to iTunes 10.6 with no problem compare to Apple which has at most 5-6 years says something.

Ms provides real support for their Os. XP can handle anything that runs on 7. Now ms may stub out the some of the API but it does not cause crashes when they are needed. They are in there. XP sp3 got the missing APIs into it.

Apple needs to provide real support for its OS.

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
To me this more proves a problem with apple puss poor support of there older os's. The fact that windows has better support for Apple's software than Apple does is something in of itself. The fact that a computer from 2000 that runs windows can still upgrade to iTunes 10.6 with no problem compare to Apple which has at most 5-6 years says something.

Ms provides real support for their Os. XP can handle anything that runs on 7. Now ms may stub out the some of the API but it does not cause crashes when they are needed. They are in there. XP sp3 got the missing APIs into it.

Apple needs to provide real support for its OS.

And they do. But they are accelerating releases and most likely go to the free route (just like iOS).

SO what? people should always upgrade. PPCs can not complain, special occasions. Same with the 32bit/64bit. that's it.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
And they do. But they are accelerating releases and most likely go to the free route (just like iOS).

SO what? people should always upgrade. PPCs can not complain, special occasions. Same with the 32bit/64bit. that's it.

oh but they do not support their older OS. As soon as apple releases a new OS they drop all major support for previous ones. Compared this to MS and windows. XP not to long ago left major support and moved to extended support (bug fixes only) Major support means new API are going to be added with service packs.

Apple does not support their OS in any way shape for form. Or even provide a real road map from support. Day one for example when MS (and many of the major linux distros) they put out a road map that gives you a promise min time it will have major support. Now it can and often times does get extended but you know it will be supported for say at least 5 years in major support. No if and or buts about it. XP got 2 extensions but it was still given on the road map day 1 that provides IT teams with a good road map and changes are made with plenty of time ahead when teams would be planning change overs.

Crap like what apple does it why they are not liked in enterprise and why they are being shown the door at a very fast pace.

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
oh but they do not support their older OS. As soon as apple releases a new OS they drop all major support for previous ones. Compared this to MS and windows. XP not to long ago left major support and moved to extended support (bug fixes only) Major support means new API are going to be added with service packs.

Apple does not support their OS in any way shape for form. Or even provide a real road map from support. Day one for example when MS (and many of the major linux distros) they put out a road map that gives you a promise min time it will have major support. Now it can and often times does get extended but you know it will be supported for say at least 5 years in major support. No if and or buts about it. XP got 2 extensions but it was still given on the road map day 1 that provides IT teams with a good road map and changes are made with plenty of time ahead when teams would be planning change overs.

Crap like what apple does it why they are not liked in enterprise and why they are being shown the door at a very fast pace.

But Apple is much more than OSes.

They support older OSes, especially when related to security. 10.7.5 came after 10.8. Why making things up? who cares about the enterprise of today? All things related to IT are broken and stupid.

Apple will change that.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
But Apple is much more than OSes.

They support older OSes, especially when related to security. 10.7.5 came after 10.8. Why making things up? who cares about the enterprise of today? All things related to IT are broken and stupid.

Apple will change that.

security updates is not supporting an OS. It is piss poor support.
Fact remains Apples OWN software is better supported on windows than OSX and runs on much older PC. Lets see iTunes 10.7 requires OSX 10.6. While it STILL works on XP.

Also developers on OSX have to deal with the fact any new API added to say 10.7 will cause crash issues on 10.6 and below. MS at least stubs them out so at least the OS handles it in some way even if it does NOTHING.

Apple does not support their older OS in any way shape or forms.

Added to the fact 10.6 requires intel CPU and 10.7 requires 64bit intel CPU. Not exactly real support.

Also your argument that anything relating to IT is broken and stupid more shows your complete LACK of understanding of that world. Apple does not make anything enterprise grade at all any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.