Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sukai

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
They seem to require a usb flash drive. Can it be done without it?

It can be done with a USB DVD drive.

If you want a clean install, you have to boot from something other than your internal drive. Be it USB thumb drive or USB DVD drive or anything, you will always need some kind of local external source.

sukai

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
It can be done with a USB DVD drive.

If you want a clean install, you have to boot from something other than your internal drive. Be it USB thumb drive or USB DVD drive or anything, you will always need some kind of local external source.

I just found a thread on using the built in recover, will be trying it now to see if it works.

sukai

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
Good luck. I believe it will reinstall Lion for you, not ML.

Thank you!

Its installing ML. Following the instructions of the thread starter I did an upgrade first then clean install using cmd R. it is currently almost done installing.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Had 7GB free prior to ML install, after install it shows 11GB free. Nice!

Where can I find out how to remove nonessential items in OSX? Like fonts, voice controls, etc?

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Is anyone else having webcam issues? My camera doesn't show up in the system profiler and still doesn't after a smc reset and a clean install. I think it might be a hardware problem.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Not happy that QuickTime changed. I just found out that I can no longer Trim to iTunes. :(

Also my other Mice, Microsoft 5000 Bluetooth the Back Button no longer works.

jj97101

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2012
If I get a new one with nothing on it and I get lion, do I need to do a clean install of Mountain Lion or will the upgrade be fine?

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
The original base macbook air cost $1,700US and the maxed out air cost a little over 3 grand. Just curiously, do you have an idea of how much you spent on it?

Only about 3 months late in responding :)

I had the max with a traditional disk, (1.80GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB, 80gb 4200rpm drive) Was $2178 for that, plus $99 for super driver, $29 for ethernet adapter, etc, etc.

gr997s

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Just bought that special 2011 MBA with 2G's of ram. It appears that reading the past 5 pages that upgrading ML will be fine on this machine, or did I miss something? True?..Thanks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.