Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Great pic.

Though Apple Inc should really consider a lawsuit against these 'Apple Computer' upstarts for blatant patent infringement by 'Apple Computer' on Apple Inc's products. ;)

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
Never gets old

I never get tired of seeing and reading about the history of Apple! Two guys in a garage in California that changed the world and how we would move forward with technology! But the main thing I really love about the Apple story is it made people believe that we could, with an idea take it to the top, even if its just to guys in a garage! Oh ya, then taking it a part to the point of going under. Struggled for some years due to getting rid of the very man that was Apple. To bad the Woz had already left on his own decision. Anyway when they brought Steve Jobs back, it put the Apple back in Apple!
I read his book and he was a very complex person but he always new where to go with the Technology, his dedication to user experience was truly what always make Apple products the best! I've used windows PC's in the work place for 20+yrs and cannot wait until the day that more developers make business software compatible with Macs! The Mobile world is upon us and that's where business's are going! I use my Apple iPad to connect to my work station and the App I use just gets better every update.:cool::apple:
Two Buddies in a garage with an idea, each with there own specialty, the true American success story! This is what that picture reminds me of!:apple:

Steve Jobs is truly missed and we can only imagine what other great product vision he would have had. But one thing I believe is true, he left some great ideas and projects with his trusted circle!:cool::apple::apple::apple::apple:
S.J RIP

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
This is the kind of thing that doesn't exist any more in today's world.

These days, you'd have all sorts of regulatory and legal hurdles: you'd need certification for wireless parts, you'd need to invest a significant amount of time in protecting your IP (trademarks), and you'd probably get a fair number of aggressive patent challenges.

You can't just make something and take it to a shop and get it sold to people any more.

i totally agree, but isn't this something that is happening in china?

i believe times have changed and that the world has become more unified...in so many aspects of life. certain regulations had to change.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
This is actually my favorite macrumors article ever. The photo is magic!

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Slow news day today Arn?

Slow comment day today?

arn

How about a nice hot cup of told!

24169848.jpg

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I like the pic and it makes me grateful for what we have now... once they actually release the new iMac :rolleyes:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
What is doesn't show is how long it took to run that simple BASIC program. Probably over 5 seconds!

Rocketman

You would probably have enough time to boot the Apple-1, type the program and run it in less time than it took for Windows 1 or Mac OS 1 to finish loading.

The first microcomputers didn't have bloated operating systems to slow them down, you could achieve a lot with an 8-bit CPU running around 2MHz and 16 KiB of RAM. You clicked on the power button, half a second later you were ready to start coding in basic.

If you want to see how crazy fast 20MHz can be, try coding in C on an ATmega328 to flash an LED and a simple loop for the on/off delay. You're going to need a loop of a few thousands before your eyes even see the LED flashing.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
This is the kind of thing that doesn't exist any more in today's world.

These days, you'd have all sorts of regulatory and legal hurdles: you'd need certification for wireless parts, you'd need to invest a significant amount of time in protecting your IP (trademarks), and you'd probably get a fair number of aggressive patent challenges.

You can't just make something and take it to a shop and get it sold to people any more.

It's a shame - Everything seemed so simple back then :( But I guess the internet has allowed people to start up a lot easier, so maybe it evened out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.