Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Fair enough. But whatever is letting gaming performance down on OS X... they need to sort it somehow. I wonder if its the ports that are shoddy.

It's a combination of factors. You can't really blame it on one thing. Some games run better than others.

For instance Portal2 runs just as fast on the 6970m in my iMac under OSX as it does on windows. But other games are well behind.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Fair enough. But whatever is letting gaming performance down on OS X... they need to sort it somehow. I wonder if its the ports that are shoddy.
I don't see much of a difference between running on OS X and Bootcamp on my iMac 3.4GHz, 6970M rig.
I have played Deus Ex, Dragon Age II, Rage, etc. on both OS X and Windows and can see no difference.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I don't see much of a difference between running on OS X and Bootcamp on my iMac 3.4GHz, 6970M rig.
I have played Deus Ex, Dragon Age II, Rage, etc. on both OS X and Windows and can see no difference.

Seriously? I see a worlds worth of difference. Especially RAGE. OS X RAGE works like trash, constantly reloading cells and very little graphic capability compared to the Windows version.

Valve games are pretty close, but I still think Windows has the edge.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Seriously? I see a worlds worth of difference. Especially RAGE. OS X RAGE works like trash, constantly reloading cells and very little graphic capability compared to the Windows version.
I don't see that at all. How much RAM do you have? I'm using 16Gb.
Rage looks as good on OS X as Windows, and runs very smoothly for me maxxed out at 2560x1440. Just wish I was better in the fights in the Arena!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I don't see that at all. How much RAM do you have? I'm using 16Gb.
Rage looks as good on OS X as Windows, and runs very smoothly for me maxxed out at 2560x1440. Just wish I was better in the fights in the Arena!

Ah, my Mac only has 4GB, but I thought RAGE was a 32bit program.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007

It might not be always be too obvious since the difference comes when there's a lot of action on the screen and when a lot of polygons are in view. The frame rate dip is generally much higher in OS X in these situations. Also turning on/up shaders in the graphics option in games (where possible) seem to have a higher frame rate penalty in OS X than in Windows. But of course different games behave differently and some work better in OS X than others.

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Belgium
reinstalled the OS

On the STEAM sale at the moment.

50% off so only £14.99

yeah, I literally were an hour too soon, I had only 25 % off

Anyways, I reinstalled the whole thing, (lost my game progress). Gaming performance hasn't improved. Will be waiting for the next efi update I guess..

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Helloes, any one got a wired xbox controller working with Borderlands 2? Big picture mode does recognise it, but the game doesn't.

Aslo, what are you saying about performance? Should we expect better performance?

No use in saying that I should just play with a mouse and keyboard.

taglea2

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
will this game run on GeForce 9400M

I've got a unibody MacBook 13.3" from Late 2008 with a GeForce 9400M. Has anybody tried the Mac version on this video card? The memory requirements match (256 MB) but Aspyr doesn't seem to like the 9400M chipset for some reason. Was hoping to get the game while Steam has it for 50% off

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
yeah, I literally were an hour too soon, I had only 25 % off

I did post advice a few days ago on this thread. Here it is again for anyone else. This is advice to follow for all Steam sales.

Some advice for you and others on the Steam sales.

Never buy anything until the last day unless it is on a daily special. The way the sale operates is you have discounts for the entire sale period. Selected items are discounted even further for the flash and daily sales.

For example Game A might be 25% off for the entire sale but on day 2 is available at 75% off.

Game A will be available at 25% off until the last minute of the sale. If you hold off until last day of the sale you maximise your chances of it coming up as a special.

Mr.Marmalade

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
In case anyone is wondering, I'm running the game with good results on Snow Leopard. Despite the system requirements stating that you need Lion or Mountain Lion, I took the gamble with the 50% Steam Sale.

This was using a 2010 iMac with a 4670 256mb. I searched for all this info and couldn't find any results, so don't be put off by the OS system requirements.

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
It's been like $20 all over the place at different times over the past few weeks. Keep your eyes peeled for deep discounted digital sales. Borderlands 2 is a Steamworks game which means every PC copy needs Steam.

Speaking of which, MacRumors really dropped the ball on this news article. The fact that Borderlands 2 is Steamworks-enabled less than two months after release is HUGE. Screw Asper and their BS online store. If you're not playing this game on Steam, you are doing it wrong.

Oh TO HELL with Aspyr and their racket. They've ported so many games to Mac that aren't Steamworks-enabled. Maybe that's not a big deal to you, but I already own those games on PC and should be able to play them on my Mac as well. Thank god Gearbox must have some sort of deal to force them to release on Steam.

Every time I see that port of Batman: Arkham Asylum for $50 or whatever I rage.

I disagree with your comment on Aspyr. There is no DMR on these things at all. You can copy them as one file onto an external and then play it on another computer whether you are on line or not. Also, their ports are rock solid and pretty cheap.

I think the ones you want to criticize are Ferral. They charge an arm and a leg for their mac ports.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
In case anyone is wondering, I'm running the game with good results on Snow Leopard. Despite the system requirements stating that you need Lion or Mountain Lion, I took the gamble with the 50% Steam Sale.

This was using a 2010 iMac with a 4670 256mb. I searched for all this info and couldn't find any results, so don't be put off by the OS system requirements.

Dang, wish I knew that you could use SL earlier. Thanks for that information!

anutharoundu

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
I can finally play this on my mac!

101.gif

SimonCZ

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Unfortunately all my friends have PCs and I would love to play multiplayer with them. Cross platform hasn't been available on Steam from launch since the versions are out of synch. Every time Gearbox release an update it takes Aspyr months to patch the Mac, seems like they just can't keep up. Really want to buy the game but will wait till the versions are in Synch.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
We're discussing one of the latest high-performance Mac/Win FPS shooters, and YOU only have 4GB of RAM?! No wonder you're whining about game performance. ;)

Doesn't make a difference. I have yet to come across a game that is a 64bit program, thus they can't use anymore than about 3.5GB of RAM.

I don't game on my Mac much anyway. I've got a PC rig for that. Apple's inability to keep up with the latest OpenGL drivers hinders the performance of games on OS X (not to mention they are damned expensive unless you get Steam copies).

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Doesn't make a difference. I have yet to come across a game that is a 64bit program, thus they can't use anymore than about 3.5GB of RAM.

I don't game on my Mac much anyway. I've got a PC rig for that. Apple's inability to keep up with the latest OpenGL drivers hinders the performance of games on OS X (not to mention they are damned expensive unless you get Steam copies).

It's really a shame, as Mac gaming is finally starting to gain traction with Steam and Apple putting powerful GPUs in their high end lines.

Look at the iMac compared to PC AIOs. Find me a PC AIO with atleast a GTX 660M.

However, Bootcamp can be partly to blame. Since it's so easy to just load up windows and re-boot, there probably isn't a rush at apple to improve gaming performance in OSX. Civ 5 runs like sh-t on mac?(Which it does BTW) Just re-boot into windows and poof 60 seconds later I'm playing Civ 5 natively on windows.

My 'gaming rig' is literally the windows side of my MBP.(The GT 650M coupled with the i7 quad is really a monster, Everything I throw at runs on ATLEAST high settings smoother than silk, if not max.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.