Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Anyone else having a similar problem? Since I have upgraded to iOS 6, my phone has had iCloud backup problems. I just tried to backup manually within settings, but it fails anyway. Is it my phone, an iCloud, or iOS 6 problem. Help would be greatly appreciated.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Is your iCloud backup allotment full? What does it read? What happens when you try to manually back it up?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Is your iCloud backup allotment full? What does it read? What happens when you try to manually back it up?

Nope I have about 3.4 GB left. When I try manually backing up, the bar stays at the beginning, say "estimating time remaining" at the bottom and then after maybe 10 min, it exits out and under "backup now" it says the last backup failed.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I have to ask, are you on Wi-Fi? It only backs up when on Wi-Fi.

Yup. I've backed up manually before just fine, since I got my 4S, every once in a while for various reasons... This same problem happened a few weeks ago and I did a manual backup, and although it took a few tries, it eventually worked, so I figured it was fixed... I guess not though. I tried turning off iCloud backup and then back on, but still nothing.

BTW- Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it. :) Hopefully we can get this resolved.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I'm having a similar problem but its only on certain wifi networks. If I'm in my apartment on my wifi network, my iPhone 5 and iPad mini, both on 6.0.1, will not backup automatically or manually. However, if I'm at my parent's house on their wifi network, both devices have no problem backing up at all.

Do you also have problems sending out a picture iMessage while connected to your network? I always have to send pictures as a text message while I'm connected to my network or else they will not go through.

Also, do you have an airport express, airport extreme, or time machine?

The reason I ask is because the only thing I can think of that is different between my wifi network and my parents is I have an airport express while they have a Belkin router so I'm wondering if that is the problem.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I have the new AE and I haven't ran across these issues. You may try opening TCP port 443 (SSL) and 993(IMAPS). These are used by iCloud.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I'm having a similar problem but its only on certain wifi networks. If I'm in my apartment on my wifi network, my iPhone 5 and iPad mini, both on 6.0.1, will not backup automatically or manually. However, if I'm at my parent's house on their wifi network, both devices have no problem backing up at all.

Do you also have problems sending out a picture iMessage while connected to your network? I always have to send pictures as a text message while I'm connected to my network or else they will not go through.

Also, do you have an airport express, airport extreme, or time machine?

The reason I ask is because the only thing I can think of that is different between my wifi network and my parents is I have an airport express while they have a Belkin router so I'm wondering if that is the problem.

I can't send pictures over iMessage either. I don't however have an airport express, extreme, or time machine. Just out of curiousity, is Comcast your ISP?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I can't send pictures over iMessage either. I don't however have an airport express, extreme, or time machine. Just out of curiousity, is Comcast your ISP?

Does Comcast also provide a router to you with the modem? Or is your modem also a router? You may need to open the ports I mentioned above as Comcast may have those closed.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008

Yes, I do have Comcast and my parents do not. I didn't even think about that.

Does Comcast also provide a router to you with the modem? Or is your modem also a router? You may need to open the ports I mentioned above as Comcast may have those closed.

I will have to try this when I get back to my apartment on Friday. Thank you for the suggestion.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA

They do, but it works just fine on my iPad running the latest iOS 5 version (whatever it is, 5.1.1?). I do have another linksys router that's also up so I'll have to try connecting to that and backing up.

Yes, I do have Comcast and my parents do not. I didn't even think about that.
That's what the iMessage problem is. I've read that Comcast doesn't all mms over their modem or something? Still a little fuzzy on that.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I have the new AE and I haven't ran across these issues. You may try opening TCP port 443 (SSL) and 993(IMAPS). These are used by iCloud.

I'm trying to open up these ports on my comcast gateway router/modem, but when I try to do port forwarding, it asks for an IP Address. Is port forwarding what I should be doing or no? And it may not be the ports because everything with iCloud works fine (documents in the cloud, photostream, etc.)

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I'm trying to open up these ports on my comcast gateway router/modem, but when I try to do port forwarding, it asks for an IP Address. Is port forwarding what I should be doing or no? And it may not be the ports because everything with iCloud works fine (documents in the cloud, photostream, etc.)

You'll have to pick a static IP you want to use on your device and then tell your router to open the ports for that IP address. That's why it's asking for an IP. You'll then need to give your iPhone that IP address under the Wi-Fi settings.

Have you tested iCloud backups at other Wi-Fi locations? Like McDonalds or Starbucks?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
You'll have to pick a static IP you want to use on your device and then tell your router to open the ports for that IP address. That's why it's asking for an IP. You'll then need to give your iPhone that IP address under the Wi-Fi settings.

Have you tested iCloud backups at other Wi-Fi locations? Like McDonalds or Starbucks?

Ok I'll try that. And yes I tried it at my school (it did it automatically without me knowing) and I guess it worked, because the time stamp for "last backup" is around when I'm at school.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Ok I'll try that. And yes I tried it at my school (it did it automatically without me knowing) and I guess it worked, because the time stamp for "last backup" is around when I'm at school.

Well, we at least know it has to be something with your home Internet since it worked at school. At least it's not something with your iCloud account.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Well, we at least know it has to be something with your home Internet since it worked at school. At least it's not something with your iCloud account.

It says I need a "Start Port" and "End Port". I take it the Start Port is the ports you mentioned, but what are the ends? It won't accept it if you have both the start and end as the same port.

EDIT: Never mind, it does now. Not sure why it wouldn't the first few times...

Last edited:

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Just want to let you guys all know that the problem was the router. The Comcast guys came over and switched it out. It seems that the router was blocking openDNS which caused the whole problem. Thanks for the help!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.