Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I just tried to get a 3D display of an item displayed. I received a message saying I didn't have WebGL and couldn't see the 3D image.

I Googled WebGL and found out it's a JavaScript plug-in. Unfortunately, being sort of stupid, I didn't understand much of what I read. The one thing that jumped out at me was some question of compromised security using WebGL.

OK, if anyone has a minute and would be so kind as to give me a little information that I can understand (picture a feeble old man and gear your discussion to that level)...especially addressing the security issue. I am a fanatic about security, so if this thing represents a significant danger I won't go near it.

Thanks, in advance, to anyone who takes the time to help the elderly.:D :p

rushbc

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
Austin, TX
I was wondering the same thing...and I am also very security-conscious. All I know about WebGL is what I read on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebGL

From what I can tell, it allows you run 3D graphics and animations in Safari without having to install a plugin (even though it is JavaScript-based).

If anyone more informed can shed more light, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.