Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I bought an unactivated verizon iphone 5 at best buy, but I'm not currently in the US so I asked my girlfriend to pick it up at the store..

I got it because I want to use with other carriers
I've seen people telling me that I have to activate it with verizon first so then I woujld be able to use it with other sim cards, and some people said that I don't have to activate with verizon, I can just put any sim card and it will be already unlocked and good to go.. I called verizon a few times and the same thing happen where some would tell me the first case, and others would tell me the second case..

Dis anyone got an unactivated iPhone 5 from verizon and never got it activated with verizon and it worked? Did anyone got it from best buy? Thanks!

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
All the Verizon phones are unlocked just get yourself a Nano-Sim and you are good to go.You dont need any activation or verizon confirmation.Nothing :D Just put in your sim and use.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
All the Verizon phones are unlocked just get yourself a Nano-Sim and you are good to go.You dont need any activation or verizon confirmation.Nothing :D Just put in your sim and use.

That's great!! I'll test mine with a different carrier sim as soon as I put my hands on it :p

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
Does the iPhone 5 Verizon model work with other CDMA carriers in other countries? Anybody try that? Like Japan or China.

htpw16

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
I bought an unactivated verizon iphone 5 at best buy, but I'm not currently in the US so I asked my girlfriend to pick it up at the store..

I got it because I want to use with other carriers
I've seen people telling me that I have to activate it with verizon first so then I woujld be able to use it with other sim cards, and some people said that I don't have to activate with verizon, I can just put any sim card and it will be already unlocked and good to go.. I called verizon a few times and the same thing happen where some would tell me the first case, and others would tell me the second case..

Dis anyone got an unactivated iPhone 5 from verizon and never got it activated with verizon and it worked? Did anyone got it from best buy? Thanks!

Can the phone be picked up from the BestBuy store without a Verizon account?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.