Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Carrier are You with?

• Straight Talk

Votes: 46 7.8%
  • AT&T

Votes: 266 45.2%
  • H2O Wireless

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Sprint

Votes: 53 9.0%
  • Verizon

Votes: 128 21.7%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 74 12.6%
  • Simple Mobile

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Red Pocket Mobile

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • GoSmart Mobile

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Net 10

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Virgin Mobile USA

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Cricket Wireless

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Spot Mobile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walmart Family Mobile

• Ultra Mobile

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Platinum Tel (Ptel)

• Lyca Mobile

• Solavei

• Total voters

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
Ya, you know you have to look at your phone+bill cost on annual base rather than monthly....for it to make sense what savings your truly getting. Yes a factory unlocked iPhone 4S is much much much better than stupid Verizon's CDMA with a crippled GSM function.

It's true I would pay more for a factory unlocked iPhone, but I would also recoup more when I sell it to upgrade.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Seem's like Red-Rocket has taken a plunge to make a fool of them selves by offering a plan for $49.99 that only offers 250MB and a plan for $54.99 that offers 1GB of data...I think at the end of the day once T-Mobile Launches its HSPA/HSDPA+ 1900MHz network Simple Mobile(Since they run off of T-Mobile) is going to be the Absolute Best value Company for all customers putting Straight Talk 2nd....but it will take some time as 1900MHz cannot penetrate as far and much as 850MHz so T-Mobile will need tons of Towers reaffirmed.

Recent Changes:
- :(Red Rocket: Lowered their Highest Plan Price and Data allowance from 2GB to 1GB and Price from $60 to $54.99

- :)Simple Mobile: Lowered Price On its Highest Plan from $60 to $50 and is offering $5 International Long Distance Credit Each month! Data is Still UNLIMITED

Last edited:

No Smd

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Anyone with straight talk going to switch to att/verizon when LTE is available on the iphone

chuck3d

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
Why Not Virgin?

Why isn't Virgin even part of this discussion with $35 options for 5 hours talk / unlimited data - text?

----------

H2O Experience

3 of us in my family have had H2O for 3 months -- incredibly poor (but polite) customer support, disarray, inappropriate billing (once charged $6.25 for having done nothing and could not have it reversed).

Anyone reading this thread should have a head's-up. I think Virgin is CDMA only and I'm waiting to upgrade my 3GS to a v5 iPhone.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Why isn't Virgin even part of this discussion with $35 options for 5 hours talk / unlimited data - text?

----------

H2O Experience

3 of us in my family have had H2O for 3 months -- incredibly poor (but polite) customer support, disarray, inappropriate billing (once charged $6.25 for having done nothing and could not have it reversed).

Anyone reading this thread should have a head's-up. I think Virgin is CDMA only and I'm waiting to upgrade my 3GS to a v5 iPhone.

All Options listed on this thread are GSM ONLY, CDMA iPhone's do not offer flexibility for users to switch/swap sim cards....hence you cannot use a CDMA iPhone 4/4S from Verizon or Sprint on another network....making it useless...however you can unlock the iPhone 4S via Gevey SIM and use it on GSM networks though.

Flashing a CDMA iPhone to antoher network such as MetroPCS is not something a everyday user can achieve so they are also not included.

qanita92

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2012
I'm sort of confused.

I plan on purchasing an iPhone 4 (along with my 4 siblings for a total of 5 iPhones) from Best Buy and getting either a 2year contract with Sprint or Verizon or AT&T so that I can get a cheap iPhone (for $50 each). Is there anyway that I can get Straighttalk?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I'm sort of confused.

I plan on purchasing an iPhone 4 (along with my 4 siblings for a total of 5 iPhones) from Best Buy and getting either a 2year contract with Sprint or Verizon or AT&T so that I can get a cheap iPhone (for $50 each). Is there anyway that I can get Straighttalk?

I recommend that you go out and buy used/near mint iPhone 4/4S's from Craigslist/eBay for AT&T network....please do check them properly....best way to do it would be to get a PrePaid AT&T SIM card with a few $ on it that you can quickly insert into each iPhone 4/4S as you buy....Sure its going to cost you upfront but the log term savings are far greater than they will be on AT&T/Sprint/Verizon directly....Your looking $70 minimum for 1 phone...add $40 on average per phone above that...+$$ for a bigger data plan that 1GB on the shared plans...either way your bill is going to look well over $300 I'm Pretty sure with AT&T/Verizon/Sprint....where as Straight talk will cost you about $225 for all 5 lines together/month.......Each line will have UNLIMITED CALLING/TEXTING/CALLER-ID/VOICEMAIL/2.5GB of Data(they say data is unlimited but to be safe 2.5GB I personally recommend).....rest you may be able to ask other members on this thread who have 4-5lines and see what plans they have....

But if you can make do with say with your bill being around $300...maybe its cheaper to jus get a family plan then as the iPhone's subsidy on 2 year contract will definitely save you ton of money.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Anyone getting the "4G" symbol on their iPhone 4S while on straight talk? Also is anyone getting faster speeds than those on 4S with their new iPhone 5 while on straight talk?

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
I have an iP5 Verizon and using an AT&T nano sim as my contract will expire mid next year. My area has no AT&T LTE coverage but Verizon does. I have an unlimited subject to throttling data plan with AT&T. Am moving next year though to a TBD area so not sure which will have LTE coverage.

These questions may have been asked repeatedly, so I apologize. Not really sure what I should do now but am exploring all options:

#1.
StraightTalk
1. StraightTalk has nano sim available now - or people are trimming the micro sims?
2. StraightTalk will work in either Verizon & AT&T iP5 version, right? I know no LTE either way.

#2.
T-Mobile (+PCS)
1. Would LTE T-Mobile works on either iP5 Verizon or AT&T? Or speediest it will get is the fake 4G or 3.5G even with re-farming?

#3.
Verizon
1. Go with Verizon for a little bit just to experience the power of LTE if I decide to stick with the iP5 Verizon phone. I still have 2 weeks to decide if I'd swap it with an AT&T iP5. Am mad with AT&T throttling now so I'll probably stick with iP5. Am not going for the long-term with Verizon's ridiculously expensive shared data plan as I will be the only user on a single iP5 device.

#4.
Sprint
1. Not an option now unless by my contract expiration they (with Softbank) become an LTE powerhouse but then I will have either an iP5 Verizon or AT&T in my possession.

#5.

?

What you guys would recommend to me?

Thanks!

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I have an iP5 Verizon and using an AT&T nano sim as my contract will expire mid next year. My area has no AT&T LTE coverage but Verizon does. I have an unlimited subject to throttling data plan with AT&T. Am moving next year though to a TBD area so not sure which will have LTE coverage.

These questions may have been asked repeatedly, so I apologize. Not really sure what I should do now but am exploring all options:

#1.
StraightTalk
1. StraightTalk has nano sim available now - or people are trimming the micro sims?
2. StraightTalk will work in either Verizon & AT&T iP5 version, right? I know no LTE either way.

#2.
T-Mobile (+PCS)
1. Would LTE T-Mobile works on either iP5 Verizon or AT&T? Or speediest it will get is the fake 4G or 3.5G even with re-farming?

#3.
Verizon
1. Go with Verizon for a little bit just to experience the power of LTE if I decide to stick with the iP5 Verizon phone. I still have 2 weeks to decide if I'd swap it with an AT&T iP5. Am mad with AT&T throttling now so I'll probably stick with iP5. Am not going for the long-term with Verizon's ridiculously expensive shared data plan as I will be the only user on a single iP5 device.

#4.
Sprint
1. Not an option now unless by my contract expiration they (with Softbank) become an LTE powerhouse but then I will have either an iP5 Verizon or AT&T in my possession.

#5.

?

Thanks!

Here's what I can tell you from what I know:

1) Straight talk does not have Nano-SIM's so you will have to cut down currently and yes straight talk will work with Verizon iP5 (because I heard it comes unlocked) and Yes in AT&T iP5 100% no doubt about that one. You will not get LTE with Straight Talk.

2) T-Mobile LTE will not work with iP5...I dont think at least yet....unless they do launch it on one of the supported bands...but this is a question of the future which we are all uncertain about....so dont count on it....

3) If you are in to save money...go with Straight Talk...you will experience great speeds because more people are taking the leap onto LTE leaving the 3G network to be a little less clustered over the next year or so....I wouldnt recommend Verizon's expensive plans....again Straight Talk is your absolute best affordable choice.

4) No comment on sprint other than its almost like light years away for LTE and 3G sucks on it....

5) Go with straight talk, save money and enjoy what you are paying for.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC

#1.
StraightTalk

#2.
T-Mobile (+PCS)

#3.
Verizon

#4.
Sprint

#5.

?

Thanks!

With T-Mobile you will get their HSPA+ 3G/"4G" if you're in a refarmed area, 2G everywhere else. Their LTE will be compatible with the AT&T iPhone 5 when it rolls out in 2013.

Skip Verizon. Too expensive.

My recommendation is to do Straight Talk for now and later jump to T-Mobile once their network is iPhone ready since they still offer unlimited data and will have a fast HSPA+ network as backhaul for their LTE.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
StraightTalk all the way. Not sure why people are still voluntarily hemorrhaging cash to AT&T and Verizon unless this poll includes corporate accounts.

Straight talk does have a microsim which costs about $10, is available only online and takes a week or so to arrive. When I moved from a 3GS to 4S however, I was able to find a third party cell phone accessory store that was able to trim my standard SIM down to size for $5 :)

Last edited:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
StraightTalk all the way. Not sure why people are still voluntarily hemorrhaging cash to AT&T and Verizon unless this poll includes corporate accounts.

Straight talk does have a microsim which costs about $10, is available only online and takes a week or so to arrive. When I moved from a 3GS to 4S however, I was able to find a third party cell phone accessory store that was able to trim my standard SIM down to size for $5 :)

We have a family plan, so AT&T, including device subsidies is a LOT cheaper than ST. That, and my next device will have LTE, something that ST doesn't offer. ST is a great deal for some, but definitely not for everyone.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I can't believe so many people are willing to pay so much for an unlocked iPhone, but then are willing to neuter themselves to a POS MNVO just to save a couple bucks per month.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
With 1.5 million iPhone users on T-mobile, they seem to be in a great position once they merge with metro pcs.

I have a iPhone 4 on tmobile (99.99 for two lines, unlimited, talk, text, data, tethering/hotspot)and I'm getting faster speeds than my friends on AT&T on 4G. Once tmobile unleashes 4G or LTE they have the best deal.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I think we need more input from more users regarding which carrier they are with:D. Also anyone using iPhone on Simple Mobile and getting 3G?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
SimpleMobile is going to be competing directly with StraightTalk as soon as T-Mobile allows subscribers on their network access its 1900MHz HSPA+ network:cool:

chuck3d

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
H2O Monthly

Months ago, I wrote about H2O. But it's still going strong. This plan's not for everyone, but it is the most flexible pricing of all providers out there. My kids use mostly wifi and pay about $10 each for 2 months when they need to turn 3G data on. I pay $25 monthly and it rolls over every 30th day, carrying my unused balance. I'm on month 5 or 6 now. My call-time is 2 cents per minute, I get 2 1/2 hours a month free to Canada, and txts are 2 cents to people who don't have iMessage. If I check email, 20 emails downloaded and 5 emails returned will cost me about 50 cents. I travel the States and haven't had any issues with coverage or voice.

I guess I could say, "just my 2 cents."

Moses84

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Factory Unlocks

Hey everyone glad to be a part of the forums. I can personally say that I had straight talk on my 4s before i deployed to afghanistan. I had a spare iP4 laying around that i brought out here with me. I had it jail broken and used tetherme to modify all the settings i needed to run on straight talk without any issues (i.e. mms). I'm honestly not advertising but I did run in to the most inexpensive alternative to factory unlocking your AT&T iphone. do a google search for cellular medic. they charge 35 dollars to factory unlock your iphone permanently. I did this myself and i'm running on roshan here in afghanistan. the best part about it is that it brings back the options to modify the cellular data settings on your iphone. since straight talk uses slightly different settings to run data and mms, it will work like a charm if you're able to modify. so no more jailbreaking (unless you want to) and no more worrying about baseband upgrades. i've updated from 6.0 to 6.0.1 without any issues. now, i came to this post from the one that shows the map of witnessed T-Mobile 3g data support. i think the site is http://www.airportal.de
I personally want to switch to T-Mobile only because they offer a true fully unlimited no data cap plan. Their value plans are the best for unlocked iphone users (or any 3g phone that supports their bands) plus if i'm not mistaken i can stack my 15% DoD discount. The only complaint i have about straight talk is that the native iPhone visual voicemail is not supported and you're limited to 1.5gb or 2gb of data per month. I use to get warning calls and texts from straight talk stating they would shut down my service without warning if I continued to use heavy data (which i didn't, just push emails and facebook now and then). so having to worry about not going over your data cap always kept me on edge hehe.
Hope this info helps anyone considering to stay with straight talk or move over to T-Mobiles refarmed 1900mhz 3g. I honestly can't wait to get back home and try it out. I'm pretty sure the data will be slower than att's but not by much.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I think soon ill have to change the thread name to AT&T/Sprint & Verizon Alternative Carriers & Plans for all iPhone users and include T-Mobile to the list of cheaper carriers.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I think soon ill have to change the thread name to AT&T/Sprint & Verizon Alternative Carriers & Plans for all iPhone users and include T-Mobile to the list of cheaper carriers.

Why? T-Mobile is one of the 4 main carriers and the other smaller carriers are pretty much MVNOs of AT&T and T-Mobile.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Why? T-Mobile is one of the 4 main carriers and the other smaller carriers are pretty much MVNOs of AT&T and T-Mobile.

Ya but T-Mobile now supports 3G on iPhone's and is a really cheap alternative to AT&T, Sprint and Verizon despite being 4th largest carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.