Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fantola

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Århus, Denmark
I am an movie editor, and i'm going to buy the new iMac 27" when it comes out. (been waiting 6 months now)
Does anybody know about it's possible to run your events from Final Cut Pro X from an external disc?. So its like all the events are saved onto the external disc?

-Jonas, Denmark

dmw16

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
I am an movie editor, and i'm going to buy the new iMac 27" when it comes out. (been waiting 6 months now)
Does anybody know about it's possible to run your events from Final Cut Pro X from an external disc?. So its like all the events are saved onto the external disc?

-Jonas, Denmark

I purchased a LaCie 2Big Thunderbolt enclosure from MacMall. They are expensive new but they had a refurbished one for less than $300.

I setup a software RAID-0 with the 2 drives in the enclosure and it is very fast. Disk speedtest shows ~325 MB/s read and ~375MB/s write. I would think that would be fast enough for Final Cut.

The only downside is the risk of data loss due to the RAID striping so you'll want a backup method of some sort assuming your data is important to you.

With all that said you can setup in RAID-1 (mirrored) and you'll see slower writes but should see similar read speeds. And your data will be safer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.