Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I have noticed my iPhone 5 is snappier and quicker when I delete apps.

I'm not sure why this is, but it is noticeable....

Any ideas?

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Not to be rude, but isn't this obvious? Of course a smartphone will run better with less apps on it.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
If you close out your apps, and reboot every once in awhile, you wont have that problem. Amazing how some people have no clue about doing that. Be careful though, you might bend your iphone, scratch your sim card, or get a mean look from an Apple rep.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If you close out your apps, and reboot every once in awhile, you wont have that problem. Amazing how some people have no clue about doing that. Be careful though, you might bend your iphone, scratch your sim card, or get a mean look from an Apple rep.

LMAO:D
Well said.
Also as long as you reboot and clear your apps once in a while you will be fine.
Storage and ram memory are 2 different things.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
My phone runs just as fast while being completely empty or completely full. Flash memory won't affect the speed of the device.

iOS will selectively free up RAM if needed but it doesn't hurt to close out apps in the task switcher. A daily reboot is also a benefit.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
What iPhone 5 really needs is to be rebooted and closed apps rather than deleting apps?

----------

I have deleted a lot of apps I don't use but made sure to make a list of them in my notes shall I ever need them again.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
What iPhone 5 really needs is to be rebooted and closed apps rather than deleting apps?

----------

I have deleted a lot of apps I don't use but made sure to make a list of them in my notes shall I ever need them again.

Installed apps occupy storage memory (Think hard drive on a computer). The RAM (actual memory where apps runs) is separate.

iPhone 5 has a dedicated 1GB of RAM regardless of how many apps you have installed or what model you have (16,32,64).

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
While I accept that some may disagree, I honestly think this is a placebo effect.

Given the way that iOS handles RAM usage (i.e. prioritising recently used apps and closing previously used ones as needed), I just don't see how having fewer apps installed would speed up the phone.

I never manually close apps unless they're malfunctioning and have always done this since multi-tasking was first introduced. It's never affected the performance of any iPhone I've owned.

And yes, I know the thread is about the number of installed apps on the iPhone, but I'm talking about the number of running apps by extension (since there's no way that having more apps that are closed but installed would affect performance, unless the storage is nearly full).

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
UPDATE:

I my geeckbench score has INCREASED!

It is now 1658 which is better now that apps have been deleted.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Not to be rude, but isn't this obvious? Of course a smartphone will run better with less apps on it.

It's NOT obvious. If I have 10 apps or 1000 apps on my computer, it will run the same exact speed (so long as I have enough space for VM, which is not applicable on the iPhone). It's actually obvious that the number of apps installed will have no effect at all on speed unless you are VERY close to getting it full.

EDIT: Upon re-reading, this point didn't seem clear. I referenced a computer because iOS is more or less a slimmed-down version of OS X, so the principles are similar.

If you close out your apps, and reboot every once in awhile, you wont have that problem. Amazing how some people have no clue about doing that.

Amazing how some people have such a flawed understanding of how apps work on iDevices. The majority of apps within a minute or less of you going back to the home screen. Some will stick around until the OS quits them to free memory. Very few will continue to run all the time, and nearly all of them are location apps like a GPS app. Most of the apps in your recent apps list (gotten to by double-tapping the home button; no, it's NOT a currently running apps list) are already quit. Rebooting is helpful if you are having issues with something, but generally not necessary for performance. Maybe once every couple of months if you haven't been forced to already.

There is a good bit of misinformation going on in this thread. You don't need to clear out the list of recent apps. It really doesn't do much of anything.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
also did you know that the more apps you the heavier your phone will be? :eek: should be careful not to overfill it with apps

richardw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
My 32GB iPhone 4 is full to the brim.

When I get down to the last GB or less it does seems to really get slower. I assumed that perhaps the iPhone uses the flash to do some swapping if short on memory. If so having literally nearly or no free space could affect performance I'd think.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
It's not going to make a big difference. Are you telling me you are going to be able to notice the speed of your phone if it has more or less apps on it? Why limit the usability of your iPhone for something you won't even notice?

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
In theory more apps shouldn't affect ram, but it's not exactly too uncommon to have an app that gets stuck or otherwise malfunctions, which can cause trouble. The more apps you have, more chances to have a bad one. This is why every few days I try to close them all.

This being said, the fluctuating geekbench scores are likely a coincidence. I get different scores all the time, I'd bet you'll realize eventually the scores will not be better consistently.

You do worry too much about your iPhone. I do too sometimes, generally only when it's new, but we'd both be wise to remember most of life's good things have nothing to do with an iPhone. There's a whole world out there, there's no app for it. :)

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
In theory more apps shouldn't affect ram, but it's not exactly too uncommon to have an app that gets stuck or otherwise malfunctions, which can cause trouble. The more apps you have, more chances to have a bad one. This is why every few days I try to close them all.

This being said, the fluctuating geekbench scores are likely a coincidence. I get different scores all the time, I'd bet you'll realize eventually the scores will not be better consistently.

You do worry too much about your iPhone. I do too sometimes, generally only when it's new, but we'd both be wise to remember most of life's good things have nothing to do with an iPhone. There's a whole world out there, there's no app for it. :)

True enough. My fiancee's iPhone was lagging, not responding very well and we just took it into Apple Store, they did their diagnostics and the app "the Knot" (wedding planning site) was giving all sorts of errors. It even hard locked the phone when loading it at the genius bar which was funny. He had us uninstall it and the phone didn't give any more errors. So yeah poorly coded apps can/will affect the phone. The more there are, the more likely errors may occur. A reboot every couple days is always good though. You can go into a stock apple app like clocks or stocks or something and hold the power home to do a reboot rather than just shut down.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
True enough. My fiancee's iPhone was lagging, not responding very well and we just took it into Apple Store, they did their diagnostics and the app "the Knot" (wedding planning site) was giving all sorts of errors. It even hard locked the phone when loading it at the genius bar which was funny. He had us uninstall it and the phone didn't give any more errors. So yeah poorly coded apps can/will affect the phone. The more there are, the more likely errors may occur. A reboot every couple days is always good though. You can go into a stock apple app like clocks or stocks or something and hold the power home to do a reboot rather than just shut down.

This must be the case for me.

I deleted yelp I'm thinkin that was it or one of the others. But now it's fast :)

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I really don't know how else to explain my geekbench score?

It's placebo. The updated geekbench app reports higher scores than before, it's not your phone running faster.

Previously I was seeing around 1640 and then after the update it hit 1661. No change in app storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.