Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Is there any way for my iPad Mini to steam videos off my local network?
I also have a UPNP media server (PS3 Media Server) for my PS3... any way to connect to that?

So far I'm loving my Mini. Everything's better than my Nexus 7 except for the ppi which doesn't affect my eyes while reading ebooks and missing streaming videos to it. :)

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Tried Oplayer (lite) and I can watch the video, but no sound plays... I was afraid of that since some of my files are in MKV format.

Not wanting to try the other versions since they don't have a lite version to test out first, are there any apps to connect to a UPNP server since my computer will do the encoding or whatever?

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Plex is your answer. It will let you streaming local and also when you are outside your network. I stream all my files from work

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Is there any way for my iPad Mini to steam videos off my local network?
I also have a UPNP media server (PS3 Media Server) for my PS3... any way to connect to that?

So far I'm loving my Mini. Everything's better than my Nexus 7 except for the ppi which doesn't affect my eyes while reading ebooks and missing streaming videos to it. :)

Tons of them. If you need a full list, check out https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16318895 , starting with #39, particularly #41 . Or, alternatively, wait for my full "LAN Streaming bible", which will very soon be published.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Tons of them. If you need a full list, check out https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16318895 , starting with #39, particularly #41 . Or, alternatively, wait for my full "LAN Streaming bible", which will very soon be published.

Thanks a lot! I'll be on the lookout for your 'bible'.

Bought both It's Playing and GoodPlayer. It's Playing seems to be doing a better job, but doesn't see my Media Server so just got GoodPlayer as well just incase. :)

Now I have no regrets at all switching over from the Nexus 7! :D

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Tried Oplayer (lite) and I can watch the video, but no sound plays... I was afraid of that since some of my files are in MKV format.

Unfortunately, as DVD's and Blu-ray discs use AC-3 (or other Dolby formats) a lot, many MKV's are pretty much unplayable.

Should you want to play them w/o dynamically transcoding (via, for example, the above-mentioned "Plex"), your other choice is just quickly reencode the audio track to AAC, preferably by adding the new AAC track so that you don't lose AC-3. A decent tool for doing so is MKVTool. See my just-posted tutorial at https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16357138

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.