Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krashx7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Seems very tempting through AT&T right now. Would make a great christmas present for the wife. Anyone have any bad experiences(or good) with refurbished iphones?

Cevap

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
It let me upgrade my phone line. Just don't click on the iPhone 5 banner but go to the "smart phone" banner on the next row

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Seems very tempting through AT&T right now. Would make a great christmas present for the wife. Anyone have any bad experiences(or good) with refurbished iphones?

Definitely yes. Apple is the one company I would have zero qualms about buying refurbished. They check it over again very carefully, and you get the exact same warranty of a brand new product (with the option of extending it by AppleCare(+). In fact, I would guess that a refurbished product has likely been checked over more carefully than a new product and is more likely to free of defects. But that is just a guess on my part.
In fact now Apple has just opened an ebay store for refurbished products (though not the iPhone), at which you can avoid paying taxes (for most states) making refurbished even more of a no-brainer

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Got me a 32gig refurb in black, 200 bucks plus tax. Hope it ships in 3-5 days like they said

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Definitely yes. Apple is the one company I would have zero qualms about buying refurbished. They check it over again very carefully, and you get the exact same warranty of a brand new product (with the option of extending it by AppleCare(+). In fact, I would guess that a refurbished product has likely been checked over more carefully than a new product and is more likely to free of defects. But that is just a guess on my part.
In fact now Apple has just opened an ebay store for refurbished products (though not the iPhone), at which you can avoid paying taxes (for most states) making refurbished even more of a no-brainer

I'm sorry but your are 100% wrong. I went through at least 5 iPhone 4S refurbs before I said this isn't worth my time anymore.

All had obvious cosmetic issues such has loose rattling sleep wake buttons, light leakage, loose home buttons, one even arrived with dust in the camera lens. I'm very OCD about my phones, but when paying as much as Apple charges, one has to be.

DO NOT believe Apple when they say, "they thoroughly examine these, and they're just as good as new, if not better."

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
I'm sorry but your are 100% wrong. I went through at least 5 iPhone 4S refurbs before I said this isn't worth my time anymore.

All had obvious cosmetic issues such has loose rattling sleep wake buttons, light leakage, loose home buttons, one even arrived with dust in the camera lens. I'm very OCD about my phones, but when paying as much as Apple charges, one has to be.

DO NOT believe Apple when they say, "they thoroughly examine these, and they're just as good as new, if not better."

Well that sucks. Hopefully the iPhone 5 refurb that I just ordered turns out ok.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Definitely ordering this one... for sure.

I will just take it apple store and swap for the new one. There are many reasons to do this and apple will not hesitate to exchange it.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC

Well my post was based on my experiences, just as yours is based on yours. I've had less trouble with refurbs than new. But as always, YMMV

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Yes, sounds like you are way too OCD.
You will notice and act like its a huge deal tiny things that others wont even bother looking at.
Light leaks in the dark? Who cares?
Rattling power button etc..
The phone does have a year warranty so if any of those tiny imperfections become a real problem down the road and the phone doesnt function as it should you can get it replaced.
But some people you cant make happy no matter what. They will go through 100 phones and find them all "defective".

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
From AT&T website

What is a refurbished phone?
Refurbished phones are previously owned devices that have been repaired by a factory-authorized provider to the same functional requirements as a new device. AT&T backs this product with its standard 14-day return period as well as a 90-day warranty on the phone and accessories.

I have had good success with refurbs that came directly from Apple and their 1 yr warranty.

I don't know about iPhone but some open box returns from At&t are just wiped clean and sent back out.

In either case there is a return period where you should be able to wring out your purchase to prevent buyers remorse.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
From AT&T website

Refurbished phones are previously owned devices that have been repaired by a factory-authorized provider to the same functional requirements as a new device. AT&T backs this product with its standard 14-day return period as well as a 90-day warranty on the phone and accessories.

I have had good success with refurbs that came directly from Apple and their 1 yr warranty.

I don't know about iPhone but some open box returns from At&t are just wiped clean and sent back out.

In either case there is a return period where you should be able to wring out your purchase to prevent buyers remorse.

That is THE deal killer! ... unless you can get Apple Care + (or similar insurance).

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
From AT&T website

This has me wondering.

Is it Apple doing the refurbishment, or someone else?

I've had good luck with Apple refurbished products as I type this from my eleven month old refurbished iPad 2. I don't know if I would trust an Apple product refurbished by someone else.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
So guys, should I buy a refurbished iphone 5 or go for new one?

I would. It's not worth the $200 "to me" any more on contract given the competition right now. Nokia 920's are free, Samsung S3 was free, the HTC DNA is decent at $200 and the Note 2 is just a better phone. So for me I would pull the trigger at $100 but not at $200. That's why we're seeing $100 refurbs so soon and Apple knows it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.