Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Booloo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
0bcd7856ff917e595590d5b7c7010b60.jpg

Coming from an iPad 2 and 3, I must say I am very impressed with this iPads battery life. This is only the second full charge since I had the device. Main use from this charge is web browsing, you tube, and the new Rayman game. I don't have any exact numbers to compare it to the iPad 3, but the difference seems significant.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Wow, that's amazing battery life! I look forward to getting my first iPad this Christmas. BTW, what does standby time mean? Does this time include the 15 hours of usage?

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011

Coming from an iPad 2 and 3, I must say I am very impressed with this iPads battery life. This is only the second full charge since I had the device. Main use from this charge is web browsing, you tube, and the new Rayman game. I don't have any exact numbers to compare it to the iPad 3, but the difference seems significant.

iPad has been plugged in since the last full charge :rolleyes:

Booloo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah, you can see its charging. I took the screen cap as soon as I plugged it in. Not sure why I would lie about how good or not so good a devices battery life is...

----------

Wow, that's amazing battery life! I look forward to getting my first iPad this Christmas. BTW, what does standby time mean? Does this time include the 15 hours of usage?

Standby just means the time it was not being charged but lock screened and not being used. So 7 days off a charger, 15 hours use, 18% battery.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Well guess it would be the older one as I got it not long after launch day when the 2 came out...

The newer iPad 2 has improved battery life and slightly faster. I've read it has close 2 hours or so more battery. More efficient processor.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I should see a huge improvement when I get the 4 soon then.

Yes, you should in my case I get 18 hours by keeping the brightness at 25% (auto brightness off), notifications off, email on manual, no Bluetooth or GPS. I usually have multiple apps and browser tabs running.

ToniqR

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Bath, UK
My ipad 2 (older version) is currently at 75% charge and showing:

Usage: 4 hours 34 minutes
Standby: 1 day 20 hours

Should get around 18 hours usage at current rates too. I'm an eco nerd you could say so every hour I spend on my ipad is one less that my mbp, with its much higher energy consumption is on :)

Thats with everything on auto brightness, notifications, email etc. I use it for Internet mainly.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Do you guys always keep your ipad on then? like you do with your iphone or do you turn it off when you aren't using it?

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
im gettin anywhere from 14-18hrs of usage with pretty heavy game play. standby ends up around 2days. amazing battery.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
my iPad 4 LTE battery life has increased ~ 1 hr over my iPad 3 LTE. while this may not seem like much, that's usage. standby i've noticed it's even longer. i'm glad that apple allowed me to return my iPad 3 even though i was outside of my 1 week return period, the upgrade to the iPad 4 was worth it.

----------

Do you guys always keep your ipad on then? like you do with your iphone or do you turn it off when you aren't using it?

when i know i won't be using it a lot, i close all of the apps then close the case so it turns off the screen. it uses such a small amount of power in standby that the savings from turning it off for a couple of hours is negligible.

that's what's great about the iPad and why it has replaced my netbook. i could put the netbook in standby but it still chewed through the battery life. under similar usage conditions, the netbook would make it to the end of the work day while the iPad will make it to the end of the 2nd or sometimes even 3rd work day. the one thing i do miss about my iPad 3 though was the iOS 5 jailbreak that allowed me to use a bluetooth mouse and the logitech ultrathin keyboard at the same time. that setup was truly a laptop replacement. i expect a jailbreak for iOS 6 to be out in ~ 3 months time

Last edited:

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
Surfed, played some games, watched Bloomberg live for 2 hrs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 182

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
My battery life on my iPad2.

Two exchange accounts running, words with friends, web surfing, reading some books, a little bit of you tube, ESPN Football app, and streaming the news some, using the VPN daily and using remote desktop and some random stuff.

Attachments

• ipad2 battery life.PNG
    ipad2 battery life.PNG
    167.4 KB · Views: 157
  • ipad2 battery.PNG
    ipad2 battery.PNG
    166.2 KB · Views: 131

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
51363.png

51363.png

51699.png

I find these 18+ hrs claims hard to believe. Are you running at min brightness with zero connectivity? Playing MP3s with the screen off?

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
Screen is at half brightness, with auto brightness turned off and no on the music. I've have always had great battery life on my iPad 2. I mostly use this for fantasy football, I VPN into work with it every morning to check on a couple servers and I read and check email.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012

15 hours of use, 7 days standby

The reason I don't last that long is unlike you, I don't barely use the thing

But battery is nice

Booloo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
7 days standby or 2 days, the usage is still in the same ballpark. And yes I average 2-3 hours of usage a day. I guess that's little use to some, for me I'd think that's average. Don't have time to play on my iPad all day unfortunately.

----------

I find these 18+ hrs claims hard to believe. Are you running at min brightness with zero connectivity? Playing MP3s with the screen off?

I believe it. If its not a normal run down test I'd say the battery drain isn't as bad with normal use. I have brightness around 35-40%. Usage for me would be about 60% safari, 15% games, 25% apps.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

If they are benchmarking at 13+ hours for video playback, why is it hard to believe 18+ hours for normal things like checking email, browsing the web, etc?

20 hours seems to be the norm for me, mostly web browsing and reading magazines. half brightness, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.