Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
The mini actually optimises the thumb keyboard to cover the same surface area as the full sized ipad, as evidenced by the smaller gap separating each side of the split.
Really? Are you sure it's not simply a 19% physically smaller gap? What about the size of the keys?
Interesting, if it is...

Edit: ok, after googling a bit, it seems to be true. Thanks for the info.
Very interesting ...

Last edited:

ddaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
What's wrong with using the thumb keyboard on the full- sized ipad?

Holding the device in potrait mode with both hands and with no case or covers attached, I can type just as fast using the thumb keyboard (moved 1/3 up the screen) than on the mini.

The mini actually optimises the thumb keyboard to cover the same surface area as the full sized ipad, as evidenced by the smaller gap separating each side of the split.

Obviously this is somewhat subjective, but I don't like the split keyboard, and the larger bezel makes reaching the keys more difficult. Obviously text input is still possible on the full sized, but it is (IMO) far easier on the mini, and I find I can thumb type much faster, on par with my Iphone.

Last edited:

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
Mini great for everything except movies period!!!!!!!
Mini is a little small to be watching movies on.

I watch movies from Netflix, Crackle plus Streamimg websites, and I love seeing them on my Mini's screen!

The almost 8' screen is perfect for me but I can understand why the extra space is better for some

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Nice review. I'm in the iPad 4 boat but I did briefly own a mini before moving to the 4. Holding the device is a joy compared to the 4 but I personally prefer the larger, retina screen. Think all this talk of mini being non retina is overblown. I'll agree that text is much much smoother on the 4 but other than that I don't think it's a deal breaker for the mini not to have it. Depending on your usage it is an excellent device. For my usages however, the 4 is better. I think well written reviews like this are helpful because people use their iPads for different things so it's nice to read different perspectives.

ddaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
I watch movies from Netflix, Crackle plus Streamimg websites, and I love seeing them on my Mini's screen!

The almost 8' screen is perfect for me but I can understand why the extra space is better for some

Agreed. This is another complaint about the mini I've seen often (screen is too small for movies), but I think they look rather good.

Games as well

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
In a similar situation as you. Even right now with both devices on hand I still can't decide. Yesterday was the ipad mini, today was the ipad 4, now back to wanting to keep the mini. I really should settle on one and return the other.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I have a 3. And I just noticed how much lag it has compared to my iPhone 5. I couldn't ever go to non retnia after using a 5 and iPad 3. But I could do without an iPad I think. I use my phone way more now, and I haven't turned on my iPad in a few weeks probably.

I was thinking of selling my 3 when the iPad mini 2 comes out. Better faster, better screen and camera. The usual stuff

According to Anandtech's review of the iPad mini, there will likely not be a retina display for sometime in the mini format. Mainly the price and battery life moving to a A6X to drive a retina display. This convinced my wife and I to go from iPad 3 64GB LTE to mini's. The iPad is simply huge compared to the mini.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
No it's much worse, the mini can't even handle "real" games.

Do you actually even have an iPad Mini? Im a big gamer and not one single high graphic intensive game has run badly. It runs games very smoothly.

The size for me is perfect for gaming especially racing games because I have to move the Mini during racing. The large iPad made my hands tired after awhile. With the Mini, that doesn't happen anymore.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I love my iPad Mini, the iOS devices I own are:

iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPad 2
iPad 3
iPad Mini

There is definitely a big difference between the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4+, once I seen the iPad Mini, I knew there wasn't going to be a difference between the iPad 2 and iPad Mini. I love the product, why not have the iPad 2 in a smaller form with upgraded camera's? Best Apple product I have owned so far.

I love that it's weightless, small and compact, it's perfect.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Thumb typing is so much faster on the mini.

Try thumb typing on Nexus 7. As fast as a phone. I have my cellular mini on order but I'm worried that it'll not stack up against my N7 for a number of things and typing is one of them.

Had a wifi only Mini but the screen was too much of a compromise. Hoping that cellular will tip the balance over a Nexus 7. If the cellular Nexus 7s come back into stock soon I fear it's all over for the Mini for me though. Which is a shame. Love everything else about the Mini. Good review OP.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Do you actually even have an iPad Mini? Im a big gamer and not one single high graphic intensive game has run badly. It runs games very smoothly.

The size for me is perfect for gaming especially racing games because I have to move the Mini during racing. The large iPad made my hands tired after awhile. With the Mini, that doesn't happen anymore.

Ok you play your graphically reduced games... All big games lower the effects and FPS on the mini and ipad 2 and iphone 4. Also if you want i can send you a video of asphalt 7 stuttering on the mini.

----------

You have to try gaming on the ipad mini it's the perfect size for a handheld device, even though games look a lot sharper on the ipad 4

I know its a better size/portability but it games don't look anywhere near as good and they don't run anywhere near as good.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
Ok you play your graphically reduced games... All big games lower the effects and FPS on the mini and ipad 2 and iphone 4. Also if you want i can send you a video of asphalt 7 stuttering on the mini.

Asphalt 7 runs like butter on my Mini and I looked at your posts, you don't actually own a mini. You watch videos and make judgements based on that. Riiight...

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Mini great for everything except movies period!!!!!!!
Mini is a little small to be watching movies on.

This comment makes no sense. It's absolutely the right size for movies. The average coach seat on an aircraft is a 6-8" screen, just like the iPad.

On a regional jet, the full size iPad\laptop is entirely unusable. The size of the mini makes it perfect for those like me who spend half our lives in airplane seats.

Yeah, in business\first, the full size would work, but the last thing I want to take on an international trip is something that would increase the size\weight of the carryon bag I need.

Sounds like the anti-mini responders in here are trying to justify their purchase. Who cares people? I have both, so can speak without bias :)

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Asphalt 7 runs like butter on my Mini and I looked at your posts, you don't actually own a mini. You watch videos and make judgements based on that. Riiight...

I don't own a mini but have sen numerous youtube vides of it not being good for gaming. Check the following video (the poster can't even notice thats its not running smooth but whatever). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yRlJgexp6c
look at: 6:04, 6:20, 6:32 and 6:45 is quite the stutter. Seriously don't even bother arguing it. The mini cannot play high end games flawlessly. I agree that it feels better to hold and is lighter but everything else is inferior. Its expected really though, it has a 2 year old chip without quad core GPU. You may think that stuttering is quite subtle but to me its very annoying. I have NOVA 3 and know for a fact that my 4S stutters especially on the multiplayer. He wasn't even on multiplayer...

(EDIT)Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuGF6oQ85Ko
Look at 2:01

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
In a similar situation as you. Even right now with both devices on hand I still can't decide. Yesterday was the ipad mini, today was the ipad 4, now back to wanting to keep the mini. I really should settle on one and return the other.

Keep the 4 unless the size, weight and portability are just too good for you to pass up with the Mini. In the long run I think the 4 is the better keeper for its newer technology and how well it performs and lightning fast.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
I don't own a mini but have sen numerous youtube vides of it not being good for gaming. Check the following video the poster can't even notice thats its not running smooth but whatever). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yRlJgexp6c
look at: 6:04, 6:20, 6:32 and 6:45 is quite the stutter. Seriously don't even bother arguing it. The mini cannot play high end games flawlessly. I agree that it feels better to hold and is lighter but everything else is inferior. Its expected really though, it has a 2 year old chip without quad core GPU. You may think that stuttering is quite subtle but to me its very annoying. I have NOVA 3 and know for a fact that my 4S stutters especially on the multiplayer. He wasn't even on multiplayer...

I've owned every iPhone and every iPad. What you are saying is your opinion. Of course without the 1 gig of ram and no A6, some games might have frame drops. The games I play, do not nor do I detect any lag. I have seen videos of it playing high end games fine with Nova being an exception. Ive looked at Nova 3 videos on the Mini and it looks a lot of fun. this wouldnt bother me. You also do not own a Mini as we all know, so you can only rely on videos and people with varying degrees of Internet speed/lots of apps open.

I rely on my own experiences in being an iPad Mini owner, so none of what you say is going to subtract from my opinion.

You saying don't bother to argue is bizarre. It's two opinions, that's all it is. I'm enjoying my Mini for gaming thank you :)

----------

I don't own a mini but have sen numerous youtube vides of it not being good for gaming. Check the following video (the poster can't even notice thats its not running smooth but whatever). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yRlJgexp6c

Look at 6:20, that's slow motion, not stuttering.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Keep the 4 unless the size, weight and portability are just too good for you to pass up with the Mini. In the long run I think the 4 is the better keeper for its newer technology and how well it performs and lightning fast.

Too late, already returned the ipad 4! It's true the size weight and portability is the deciding factor, even despite the fact that I got an ipad for home use. I find myself using the ipad mini more than the ipad 4, not to mention I've been using the ipad mini for a week and I just got the ipad 4 yesterday. This says a lot since the ipad mini novelty should have died down by now. I have a MBA 13 so the ipad mini probably complements it better.

The ipad 4's display is just soooo gorgeous, every time I pick it up I just fall in the love with the screen. Its easy on the eyes and text/pictures seem to just pop out. Movies and games look a lot better, was playing fifa 3 and the graphics is beautiful. But the ipad 4 is too heavy, my wrist got tired after holding it for a while, unless you leave it on the table, which I find my laptop would be of better use this way.

The thing is after using the ipad 4, I started to appreciate the ipad mini more. Before, I was finding faults on it: screen is too small for home use seems similar to my iPhone 5, text is fuzzy, screen colors looks washed, build quality feels cheap especially on that front glass panel, or why should i be using a cheaper ipad when i can afford the ipad 4. But now I just use it for what it is because the ipad mini is so much more comfortable and I know for a fact ill be sticking to this thing till next year.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
Too late, already returned the ipad 4! It's true the size weight and portability is the deciding factor, even despite the fact that I got an ipad for home use. I find myself using the ipad mini more than the ipad 4, not to mention I've been using the ipad mini for a week and I just got the ipad 4 yesterday. This says a lot since the ipad mini novelty should have died down by now. I have a MBA 13 so the ipad mini probably complements it better.

The ipad 4's display is just soooo gorgeous, every time I pick it up I just fall in the love with the screen. Its easy on the eyes and text/pictures seem to just pop out. Movies and games look a lot better, was playing fifa 3 and the graphics is beautiful. But the ipad 4 is too heavy, my wrist got tired after holding it for a while, unless you leave it on the table, which I find my laptop would be of better use this way.

Congrats on making a decision that's perfect for you :)

Last edited:

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I've owned every iPhone and every iPad. What you are saying is your opinion. Of course without the 1 gig of ram and no A6, some games might have frame drops. The games I play, do not nor do I detect any lag. I have seen videos of it playing high end games fine with Nova being an exception. Ive looked at Nova 3 videos on the Mini and it looks a lot of fun. this wouldnt bother me. You also do not own a Mini as we all know, so you can only rely on videos and people with varying degrees of Internet speed/lots of apps open.

I rely on my own experiences in being an iPad Mini owner, so none of what you say is going to subtract from my opinion.

You saying don't bother to argue is bizarre. It's two opinions, that's all it is. I'm enjoying my Mini for gaming thank you :)

----------

Look at 6:20, that's slow motion, not stuttering.

Yeah i guess i should really own one if i want to know for sure but i cant really afford one, at least for now. The stuttering or frame rate drops are very small and infrequent. Most people wouldn't really care about them but i do. I shouldn't have said don't bother arguing since as you said its just an opinion, what i meant is that the evidence is there pointing to the lacking ability of the mini to run NOVA 3 smoothly 100% of the time. And yeah 6:20 is slow motion, i didn't realise at first.

The problem i find with the mini is how it will fair in the future with games like Asphalt 8 and infinity blade 3 and NOVA 4. I guess we have to wait to find out :p Also the retina display makes a big difference to gaming but thats very subjective anyway.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Shadowjeff,

Enjoy the Mini, I certainly did. I had to make a decision between it and the 4. What I am going with is the 4 since I have no other iPad to go to for watching videos and playing games amongst other things and especially a screen as great as it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.