Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The New iPad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
My iPad is passcode protected so people can't view my info. When it's plugged into a computer, anyone can just go to My Computer and view the photos as any USB device. How do I prevent this? Thanks.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
You can't do anything on the iPad to stop that. You would have to modify the PC to not receive input from the USB ports.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I'm not sure about on the iPad (I assume its similar on iPhone), but when I plug my iPhone into my work Windows laptop it won't actually let me view any photos on the computer unless the phone is unlocked.

Seems strange that the iPad would be different :confused:

The New iPad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
You can't do anything on the iPad to stop that. You would have to modify the PC to not receive input from the USB ports.

Wrong. Third poster is right. There have been times where photos are unaccessible until I enter my iPhone's passcode. Stop guessing.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Wrong. Third poster is right. There have been times where photos are unaccessible until I enter my iPhone's passcode. Stop guessing.

I'm sorry if that didn't help, but that was based off of MY experience.

Sheesh, thanks for assuming the worst.

The New iPad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
What's the point of a passcode if anyone can plug in your phone into a USB port and view all your photos

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

You might want to drop the attitude or no one will help you.

What's the point of a passcode if anyone can plug in your phone into a USB port and view all your photos

The passcode stops someone from using your iPad.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

You cannot browse the phones file system (including the photo's) when plugged in via USB unless you have typed the passcode in before connecting. This is a good thing.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

They can't. At least on my iPhone and iPad they cannot. I plug it into my own computer and before I get access my photos, I am asked to unlock the iPad and iPhone.

The New iPad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
One post you say it let's you then another post you say it won't unless you enter a passcode. Which is it??

It's random. I also said, There have been times where photos are unaccessible until I enter my iPhone's passcode

You cannot browse the phones file system (including the photo's) when plugged in via USB unless you have typed the passcode in before connecting. This is a good thing.

I know it's a good thing, that's why I want it but it doesn't always work. Recently, it's never worked. My device will be locked with a passcode but I can plug it into the USB port of my friend's computer and access the DCIM folder and view all the photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.