Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
how silly, instead of carrying around this add-on u may as well carry around a camera

additionally if this is a clip on case for the iPhone 5 it is going to RUIN your black colored bezel in no time
scratched surface here we come

Boilermaker_coday

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
A few thoughts on this product, however I am not into photography and would probably not buy this whether or not it was worth the investment...

- If this has a better flash and optical zoom those are two things that actually could improve the iPhone's photography. Assuming that it has these features, will.i.am should advertise that because I feel like the megapixel war is about over.

- I'm not sure how the professional cameras are on the market today, as far as connectivity with an iPhone or iPod go. Are there any camera's that let you go straight from taking the picture to having it on your iPhone, and accessible through Apple's "Photos" app? If there aren't any cameras that do this yet, and this device did that automatically, that would be another small benefit of having it. (and I'm counting cameras with wi-fi using flickr or the like to upload a picture to the cloud and then re-download it to your iOS device. I'm talking instant access. Especially if you are using an iPod that doesn't have an internet connection in the field).

- People are talking about how this product is redundant because it would actually have you end up carrying around 2 devices around. What if, however, it was in the form-factor of a case? (similar to the battery extender cases). If this product isn't, then someone else should make some.

- Either way, it is not always a bad idea to have your product endorsed by a celebrity (that's what is probably happening here). There are a lot of people on here who swear up and down on "Beats by dre" when you can buy headphones that sound just as good for $40-50 bucks, and headphones that sound better for $100.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I think I'd rather have one of the new Samsung cameras with android - they genuinely seem pretty great.

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
The only thing I can think is this might target those new $500+ Droid cameras. It is nice being able to email or post a photo in the wild over the cell network AND not having to pay extra for data JUST for a camera. Give me a 1.4 to 1.8f lens and maybe a optical 4 or 5x zoom in a package not too big for $100 to $149 and it might have a market. Bonus if it's a battery case WITH the camera or allows the camera to write to SDHC and the phone just acts as the screen/processor.

The market would be improving the iPhone camera into the world of point and shoot for half the price or less of say a Canon S110 or Droid camera. The DSLR is for planned shoots while this would be for a day trip in the city and to the zoo where you don't want to/can't carry a camera case and worry about $1000s. But why carry two devices and have to buy that second one for ~$400 (S110 etc) ?

(Or have the iPhone, a $400 S110 just to get that larger lens some zoom, AND a Mark III or something, makes sense to cut one out and just have the extremes of extra portable and massive quality DSLR)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Probably cheaper to just buy a regular 14MP camera. If this had been out when the 3G or 3GS came out then it would have been worth it, not today.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Is this going to be like those Beats headphones, in that they're actually awful and aimed at a market that won't be able to afford them?

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Wait a sec...will.i.am has a "consumer electronics and app venture?" Has this turkey suddenly become some sort of renaissance man? Hey WILLY, why don't you stick to music? When you get some education in electrical engineering, come back and show us what you can do, okay? At least Leonardo da Vinci WAS a genius. Who the f--- does will.i.am think he is?

And for those of you who are upset about all the "haters" ... Consider this: Many people on this board carry advanced degrees in subjects like computer science and electrical engineering, and they have been working their whole lives to develop new products and gadgets. And some idiot savant rapper comes along, declares himself an electronics expert, and develops a new gadget (with some help from actual educated employees). I'm not in the electronics industry myself, but I totally understand why there's some hate out there for this imbecile. There's not enough money in the music business? He needs to compete with others in areas he knows nothing about? Yeah, most of us would like to see him fail miserably.

netdoc66

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
New Jersey
Funny way of looking at things.

Everything about Mr. Adams just disgusts me. First he considers himself a "musician", now he has the audacity to have a hardware line. It's just disgusting and insulting to real musicians and designers. My opinion? No, it's a fact.

This Adams guy could buy your ass 200 times being a "fake" musician. This guy's voice has been heard on Mars. Don't be a hater.

MacFlorida

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Ft Lauderdale, FL
I would rather get the new GoPro Hero 3.
The new WiFi interface with iOS seems pretty neat.

I can see someone on an African Safari and just before a lion kill, the handheld camera phone rings.
The last picture ever taken alive on his iPhone's Will.i.am was ___

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Is this going to be like those Beats headphones, in that they're actually awful and aimed at a market that won't be able to afford them?

Most likely. God those Beats are terrible - quite shocking that people are still stupid enough to think they are special/good headphones.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
And for those of you who are upset about all the "haters" ... Consider this: Many people on this board carry advanced degrees in subjects like computer science and electrical engineering, and they have been working their whole lives to develop new products and gadgets. And some idiot savant rapper comes along, declares himself an electronics expert, and develops a new gadget (with some help from actual educated employees). I'm not in the electronics industry myself, but I totally understand why there's some hate out there for this imbecile. There's not enough money in the music business? He needs to compete with others in areas he knows nothing about? Yeah, most of us would like to see him fail miserably.

You're right. Everybody should just stick to one thing and never try anything different, especially African American "idiot savant" rappers. Because that's how progress and innovation happens.

Please don't include me in your awful diatribe.....I'd like to see this succeed and I applaud the guy. He's actually trying to drive innovation as well as running projects he funds himself aimed at producing the next generation of technological innovators.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I fail to see why people are making such a big hoohaa over an optional iphone accessory which nobody is forcing them to buy. I certainly don't see a million other threads here criticising every single iphone add-on produced to date. :rolleyes:

If you are satisfied with the quality of your phone camera, then by all means stick with what you have. For people who do desire and appreciate a better camera (and have no desire to lug around a separate camera), this might be the solution. And it seems like it might double as a case as well, which is an added bonus.

And your point is...?

Is there some law that states that only people with degrees in advance computer science and electrical engineering may develop and produce new iphone gadgets? :confused:

chambord

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Wait a sec...will.i.am has a "consumer electronics and app venture?" Has this turkey suddenly become some sort of renaissance man? Hey WILLY, why don't you stick to music? When you get some education in electrical engineering, come back and show us what you can do, okay? At least Leonardo da Vinci WAS a genius. Who the f--- does will.i.am think he is?

Your response and defense is absolutely ridiculous. It seems that part of your anger is that he is already successful ("is there not enough money in music already?") Are you anti-capitalism? Are you against a successful person re-investing their money into technology to make new and better technology? Do you understand what venture capital is?

All of this hate towards someone who simply invested money into the development of new technology is completely bizarre. It's basically a bunch of nobodies getting their jollies off by badmouthing some celebrity.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I love how the thread starts off all negative like you have better ideas but your too busy eating potato chips and sucking on Coke a Cola in the basement of your moms house to do anything about it. The internet just sucks you haven't even seen it but you just "know" its useless. Get lost stay off the net PLEASE!

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I love the accessory opportunity that idevices have but you got to draw the line some where. And this is the time to do it.
Sad to see musicians and actors put their name on crap products just to make a few bucks. Even ludacris has headphones now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.