Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Ever since I got LTE I just don't bother with Wifi since I'm always in LTE coverage. So also, then I just have a lot of things auto upload. All photos get uploaded to dropbox as a backup, as well as my phone backups get uploaded to dropbox. Then last month I used 30GB of data (mostly uploads) lol, because my upload LTE speed is around 20Mbps compared to 2up at home wifi, I my phone to upload a bunch of videos to dropbox and youtube since it's that much faster.

I got my Razr M "hacked" to use the stock tether even with unlimited data so it makes allowing my MBP to connect so much easier.

1. How do you auto upload photos to dropbox? Is this built into the dropbox app?

2. What do you mean by your phone backups get uploaded to dropbox? Do you automatically somehow use dropbox to backup all of your files?

3. Are you saying that you are able to use your phone's LTE connection to give internet to you MBP? Is this hard to do?

Thanks!

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
For those of you using data ranging from 2.5GB and up, what are you doing to use that much data? Do you use it instead of a home internet connection? Can you please give me some examples of your day-to-day phone activities to get into that range?

Thanks!

I use 30-80GB/mo. With Verizon 4G LTE, if you have a grandfathered unlimited plan you can add on unlimited tethering. I use the tethering a lot as Verizon around the metro Detroit area is faster than most wifi connections. Plus I don't have to worry about who is on the public wifi when I travel.

I also have an unlimited AT&T line but it doesn't allow tethering which makes it useless in the U.S., I only keep it as it is unlimited international so it comes in handy when overseas.

----------

3. Are you saying that you are able to use your phone's LTE connection to give internet to you MBP? Is this hard to do?

Thanks!

If you have a tethering plan you can use Bluetooth, wifi or USB. Just turn on tethering on your phone and connect to the wifi hotspot it creates or plug it into a USB port. I use the USB port option and leave tethering on 24/7.

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
1.6 to 1.8 gb. I stream my Spotify using my data plan while I am on the gym. I always have it turned on every day because I always check my work emails. :D

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
1. How do you auto upload photos to dropbox? Is this built into the dropbox app?

2. What do you mean by your phone backups get uploaded to dropbox? Do you automatically somehow use dropbox to backup all of your files?

Thanks!

1) Yes dropbox has a new-ish feature of auto uploading all photos taken to dropbox. Just enable camera uploads. Available on both android and iOS

2) I am rooted and use Titanium Backup. There is a feature in it to allow all TiBU to upload to dropbox. Boom backed up as wels as all my photos are backed up =)

3) Yes I use my phone's LTE to give internet to MBP. It's not hard to do, it's built into most phones now. Just use the hotspot feature on your phone if you're on a share everything plan. If you are not, then you may have to find a work around. For me, it was specific to my Razr M. Or you can find an app on the Gplay store that works for tethering. Try FoxFi or Wifi Tether etc. Some require root access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.