Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
It's interesting to look at the picture and then look at the computer your viewing it on. Amazing how much things have changed.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Wait, so Apple actually made wooden cases for the Apple I? I know people widely assume they did because the Wikipedia article has a presumably home-made wooden case for one as a prominently featured picture in the Apple I article, but I am under the impression that that case was just something someone made for the board.

Does anyone have pictures of an Apple-made cased Apple I? (Or is that famous picture it?)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I find it sad that people find this kind of news boring. It's the beginning, the roots of Apple. Without that beginning, there probably would not be Macs, iPhones or iPads today. Then again, without Apple, perhaps Commodore would not have stood on their ass and we'd all be using Amiga computers today.

People today only want a new iPhone with a new shape or a bigger screen and they don't even seem to care when it looks exactly the same but everything inside has been upgraded.

But to us nerds, which is the kind of people it takes to build such devices by the way, this kind of news is 1000 times more interesting than hearing about lawsuits or contract deals with heartless media mega-corporations.

If you don't like a story, just don't comment on it or start your own website where you can approve the stories yourself. Anything else is just noise that doesn't add anything to the discussion of the topic.

Excellent post.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I find it sad that people find this kind of news boring. It's the beginning, the roots of Apple. Without that beginning, there probably would not be Macs, iPhones or iPads today. Then again, without Apple, perhaps Commodore would not have stood on their ass and we'd all be using Amiga computers today.

People today only want a new iPhone with a new shape or a bigger screen and they don't even seem to care when it looks exactly the same but everything inside has been upgraded.

But to us nerds, which is the kind of people it takes to build such devices by the way, this kind of news is 1000 times more interesting than hearing about lawsuits or contract deals with heartless media mega-corporations.

If you don't like a story, just don't comment on it or start your own website where you can approve the stories yourself. Anything else is just noise that doesn't add anything to the discussion of the topic.

Whilst I do agree, theres nothing you can do about it. The cult is technically dead. Apple has been (and forgive me for using this pathetically childish term) for 'Hipsters' for a while now, and only really caters to the fake nerd that sits in a Coffee shop on his mac, pretending to be working.

Real nerds sit in a room full of computer history :p

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
I'd much rather view this article than another iPhone dock connector article or lawsuit article any day.

spacedesign911

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
100 print "throatdia.bas Enter area get diameter: checked"
200 INPUT "Throat area Inches = ",AT
210 DT=((AT/3.1415)^.5)*2
300 print "Throat dia Inches = ",DT
301 goto 100
302 end

Wow, I was there! I did that in school.

Easy to underestimate this article, but on the other hand we are witnesses to something really massive in the evolution of mankind.

Whilst Gene Rodenberry dreamed it, here is another man making it.

tokenuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
tl;dr

I just think it is cool that someone kept the instagram photo.

What someone else pointed this out before me?? Did they have a time machine like the guy who took the photo?? Its a little sad that instagram does to digital photographs, what Polaroid did to 35mm ... completely destroy any photographic quality to the image.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Last edited:

.Joel

macrumors member
May 10, 2005
Great article Arn, really enjoyed reading something different on the front page of MacRumors. Would be good to see a "MR History" article once a month on here with some interesting snippets from Apple's past just to diversify a bit of the content.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Hahaha, good ol' BASIC. At roughly the same time this photo was taken, I was learning to write BASIC on a DEC PDP 11/40 - this makes me feel old!

I was learning Fortran on god-know-what. It was behind a big glass window and tended by guys in white lab coats. No monitors - just a teletype.

marmotmammal

macrumors member
I really enjoy reading and seeing tidbits of Apple history. I just finished reading muckraker Lashinsky's Inside Apple book (already 10 months old), but the author's Apple insight is fantastic. "A member of the senior management team will depart" written a year ago.

It takes me a long time to read a book, so piecemeal info about Apple's history is interesting. I didn't realize how Jobs/Woz marketed their first computer, so I envision the two walking into the Byte Shop as struggling tech creatives trying to promote their product. Doubtful that digital products are marketed like that anymore. It's all about red tape these days. I wonder what happened to Terrell.

Apple history is more interesting than Microsoft since I live in the area. Innovators don't walk these streets anymore.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Slow news day today Arn?

Good for you kid, you got 10 positive votes. Lucky for you negative votes aren't still around!

You think you got back at him with this? Funny ..., but what do i know ... ads are showin', clicks are countin' - all is well in the land of professional journalism.

What's funny is that you guys seem to miss the obvious—that many MR readers actually have an interest in computer history. The finding of some historically significant pics constitutes news that we care about (to quote MR's own tagline).

I'd suggest you had a more legitimate chance to question the journalistic merit of THIS POST recently. Too bad you missed it!

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
This is the kind of thing that doesn't exist any more in today's world.

These days, you'd have all sorts of regulatory and legal hurdles: you'd need certification for wireless parts, you'd need to invest a significant amount of time in protecting your IP (trademarks), and you'd probably get a fair number of aggressive patent challenges.

You can't just make something and take it to a shop and get it sold to people any more.

Except in China.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I was learning Fortran on god-know-what. It was behind a big glass window and tended by guys in white lab coats. No monitors - just a teletype.

Ha! That's the way I learned Fortran, too. Killed a few trees trying to debug the programs I had to make for class. My senior year, ~1985, our study room got two of the original macs in a room full of pre-Windows pcs. They had to make a sign-up sheet for the macs to limit everyone to an hour at a time. Love at first sight!

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Great article!

MikeMac128k.jpg

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Great article!

Nice lighted keyboard! Nice textbooks "on" Mac.

When my Mac II LC was near death, it was getting glitchy, and occasionally the Apple II BIOS would rear its head and show as a green screen on the otherwise color monitor. That was with MacOS 4.2. Perfect anecdote for a nostalgia thread.

article quote said:
the Byte Shop became the first Apple dealer (it eventually offered the Apple-1 in a wooden case with keyboard and power supply)
The dealer made the cases and provided keyboards and displays.

Rocketman

Last edited:

Big Dave

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Crestview, Fl
I'm a novice, but I tried to recreate the BASIC code in from the first picture in Bash and I can't get it to behave correctly. Any ideas?

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for ((i=1; i<=20; i++))
  do
   for ((j=1; j<=$i; j++))
     do
      echo $j$i
     done
  done

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I was surprised this news never made it to MacRumors. Seems right up Arn's alley.

This is exactly true. MacRumors is not about 100% quality. It's about getting 100% of the rumours. Take the good and the bad articles as they are. :)
And that article will come in time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.