Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
My 560 was too, so I pulled the cooler and put a twin turbo two on it. The issue is it's now a 2.5 slot card but it runs much cooler and is inaudible.

So I just gave up the whole idea of watercooling and hackintoshes and all that stuff because all that costs me too much money.

Now I just want to get a GPU cooler because my GTX 570 is too loud on idle and gets too hot while gaming.
Can I put the Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II onto the GTX 570 HD, and do I have a 4pin power connecter anywhere? (I don't have a second DVD drive but I installed a SSD in there...)

Thanks guys!

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
So I just gave up the whole idea of watercooling and hackintoshes and all that stuff because all that costs me too much money.

Now I just want to get a GPU cooler because my GTX 570 is too loud on idle and gets too hot while gaming.
Can I put the Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II onto the GTX 570 HD, and do I have a 4pin power connecter anywhere? (I don't have a second DVD drive but I installed a SSD in there...)

Thanks guys!

There should be a 4 pin to power the current fan. If its three pin then you'll have to use the 3 pin connector that is included in the fan setup.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
There should be a 4 pin to power the current fan. If its three pin then you'll have to use the 3 pin connector that is included in the fan setup.

When I installed the GTX 570 I just plugged in two 6pins into the MoBo, nothing else.

I thought about getting a velocity Solo X2 and installed both SSDs on it, that means that I dont need the ODD plu anymore. Would that help?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
When I installed the GTX 570 I just plugged in two 6pins into the MoBo, nothing else.

I thought about getting a velocity Solo X2 and installed both SSDs on it, that means that I dont need the ODD plu anymore. Would that help?

the 4 pin is on the card itself most likely under the current fan shroud. here is one with a water block installed on the bottom right you can see a 4 pin header.

Attachments

• grafikkarte_gtx570.jpg
    grafikkarte_gtx570.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 45

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
I wouldn't bother trying to mod a Mac Pro. You'll be fighting against too many things- proprietary parts everywhere that were never designed to be modded, let alone removed. The heatsinks in a modern day (2009/2010/2012) Mac Pro aren't standard LGA heatsinks- the mounting pins are totally custom and the heatsinks carry fans and thermal sensors inside them. If you don't hook that stuff back up, the system will probably refuse to boot.

-SC

This idea just crossed my mind: Take the original heatsink, throw the cooler with the heatpipes inside out, take a regular CPU water block, make a custom plate with screw holes to fit the original holes, then take the stuff around the heatsink and place it in top, connect the temp sensors and stuff - shouldn't that work? You could use just the frame of the heatsink with the cables.

In terms of a radiator you probably will need to look for something external. I also thought about modding the sidedoor and make it a few inches wider to fit a rad in there, and then open it like a door with some flexible tubing in the corner. Hell lot of work.

Why not just do it in sections rather all out? cpu block, pump, hoses and a radiator for the cpu. Add more to your loop at a later date.

That is sexy!

http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/systems-2011/murderbox-mk2/murderbox-mk2.htm
In theory, I have the money to buy all that stuff. I'm just not sure whether I really want to spend such a hell lot of money.

I consider buying a Accelero Xtreme Plus II and just PCIe expansion fan that is completely silent, like a BeQuiet Silent Wing 2.
Can I change the fan inside the heatsink to get more airflow around the heatsink?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.