Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I recently got my mac pro all set up with my OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb SSD as my boot drive. (Trim Support Enabled) For some reason i keep noticing the amount of space on the hard drive has been rapidly decreasing, i can even see the numbers moving in the "Get Info" window.. I don't know what can possibly be causing this to happen. I Have checked all of my cache files and they are all set to my Western Digital drive. There has to be some background process running in the background making this happen. Just last week i had 40GB remaining on the drive and now i have 30Gb left. Soon before i know it i will drain all of its memory and potentially crash my SSD!

System specs:
12-core 2.4GHz
40Gb Ram
120gb OCZ vertex 3 SSD
Mountain lion

Any suggestions to this horrifying issue?

Thanks in advance!

ClassObject

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2010
I'm guessing you need to enable trim.

BTW it's not literally getting eaten up. Not even figuratively.

macguy93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I'm guessing you need to enable trim.

BTW it's not literally getting eaten up. Not even figuratively.

I do have trim support enabled. Is it something associated with my library?

Attachments

• trim support .jpg
    trim support .jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 69

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
I was under the impression that TRIM was not needed in the OCZ Vertex drives since they were Sandforce.

Is Spotlight indexing the drive and building a database?

cutterman

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Grab the tool "omnidisksweeper" and scan through your folders to examine the disk usage.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Did you disable the auto-save function in ML?

Loa

Last edited:

macguy93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I was under the impression that TRIM was not needed in the OCZ Vertex drives since they were Sandforce.

Is Spotlight indexing the drive and building a database?

no, spotlight is not indexing. if is was would that have been related to my issue?

Hello,

Did kyou disable the jauro save function in ML?

Loa

Im not sure i understand what the 'jauro function' is. does that have to do with the memory drainage?

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
I suspect that was a typo - I read it as "auto save"... the facility in Mountain Lion that saves versions of documents and images as you work on them.

It is possible that Versions is using the SSD as a scratch disk even though you are using the HDD for other cache and scratch. Have a read of Versions and see if there is an option you can change.

You need to look at why you have TRIM enabled on the SSD. I thought the Vertex3 drives were Sandforce and didn't need it. My two Vertex2s are managing fine without TRIM.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Im not sure i understand what the 'jauro function' is.

I suspect that was a typo - I read it as "auto save"...

Yep! Damn iPad with over sensitive keyboard! :)

Go to the Apple menu, then "About this Mac". Click on More Info, then on the "Storage" tab. Make sure that the Backups category is Zero KB.

If you have a lot of data there (in the gigabytes range), you need to delete it to regain that lost space.

Loa

macguy93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Yep! Damn iPad with over sensitive keyboard! :)

Go to the Apple menu, then "About this Mac". Click on More Info, then on the "Storage" tab. Make sure that the Backups category is Zero KB.

If you have a lot of data there (in the gigabytes range), you need to delete it to regain that lost space.

Loa

it seems that the backups appears to be fine, however i don't know what that audio is.. I have my iTunes set to my HDD, at least that what i think. But, i wonder if some audio files from FCPX or FCP7 are saving somewhere on my SSD?

Attachments

• storage .jpg
    storage .jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 81
  • iTunes .jpg
    iTunes .jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 62

macguy93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Make sure iTunes isn't copying the files it imports to the SSD. Check the preferences in Advanced.

Loa

so i would need to uncheck that second box? then go delete the file it has created?

also where do i find where my music is stored on my SSD? when i go to music>iTunes, it says that the folder is empty. is there another location it goes to instead?

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
so i would need to uncheck that second box? then go delete the file it has created?

also where do i find where my music is stored on my SSD? when i go to music>iTunes, it says that the folder is empty. is there another location it goes to instead?

In the preferences' advanced tab, you'll see a "iTunes media folder's location". This is where your music is. If it's not where it should be, then change it. I'm pretty sure iTunes will ask you if you want to automatically copy all your files there.

Loa

macguy93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
In the preferences' advanced tab, you'll see a "iTunes media folder's location". This is where your music is. If it's not where it should be, then change it. I'm pretty sure iTunes will ask you if you want to automatically copy all your files there.

Loa

the picture i have above displays that. however, i believe i do have it set to my HDD, Any other thoughts where the memory is getting taken up at?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.