Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
You mean like andriod tablets already have? I'd have to agree with you but it seems to be about compatability with current ios apps. If it was better resolution and only slightly and it compromised apps, then I cannot agree.

People and Apple have to stop worrying about software updates because of display resolutions.

Its not reasonable to hold back the hardware because the software has to be updated.

Thats why its called "soft"ware.

----------

Why is everyone obsessed over the Mini being Retina?

Apple could just improve the resolution (keep the same ratio) and most people won't be able to tell the difference during regular use.

It doesn't have to be all about "Retina" - there is plenty of room for improvement for Apple to make with the Mini's screen while still maintaining margin

AAAAAmen

----------

I agree that the mini most likely will get a retina screen next year....in fact, i would bet good money it will. But not until October of 2013. That's a whole year away people. ALOT of time to enjoy your current ipad mini. So relax.

I transferred my unlimited AT&T data plan from my ipad first gen to my new ipad mini. I may keep this mini for 3 yrs like I did my first gen ipad and not upgrade to a retina mini next year at all. Or maybe I will upgrade. Who knows.

All I know is I am LOVING this ipad mini. It's my new fav form factor...best of the iPhone and the regular ipad combined.

Seriously, get the mini now if ya need or want it. You won't be disappointed. ;-)

You said "Most likely" and then "Id bet good money it will" so I guess you covered the maybe to definitely spectrum.

I think you are wrong on both. I dont doubt the display panel will improve but not retina.

There, now we have both guessed.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
This. They will find a way.

Exactly. There is no way Apple isn't going to address the consistent critique about the Mini....especially when the competition is going to continue to put out even more impressive 7 inch displays.

And we'll all act amazed and surprised when they pull off a higher resolution display.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I'm using a mini right now, and this thing really doesn't need a retina display. If you hold it extremely close to your face you can tell the different, but holding it normal distance you can barely tell it's the iPad 2 resolution.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I'm using a mini right now, and this thing really doesn't need a retina display. If you hold it extremely close to your face you can tell the different, but holding it normal distance you can barely tell it's the iPad 2 resolution.

Not my experience...

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
The display is the one thing stopping me getting the mini. For me one of the main purposes of owning an iPad is for viewing photos, and the mini just doesn't cut it. It's a real shame as the size is much more useable/manageable than the iPad IMO. I've always found my iPad a little to big and heavy for the type of device. I can't settle for any display worse than my iPad 3, but ideally I'd like it to be as good as my iphone 5.

----------

You really need your eyes checking, the difference between my iPad 3 and the mini is VERY noticeable even from a distance. I noticed it just walking past the display in the shop.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Apple's goal is a retina lineup with lightening connectors. This means next year iPad 2 must disappear leaving only a Mini retina and iPad retina.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Not my experience...

----------

[/COLOR]

You really need your eyes checking, the difference between my iPad 3 and the mini is VERY noticeable even from a distance. I noticed it just walking past the display in the shop.[/QUOTE]

Well maybe my eyes aren't trained to a retina screen, but when I held it next to the iPad 4, yes I could tell the iPad 4 was slightly smoother, but the iPad mini when held from normal distance actually looked nicer or on par with my Nexus 7. It looked perfectly fine to me. I think the display it has is just fine.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Do people honestly think that Apple won't release a retina iPad mini?

Seriously, just charge a freaking $100-150 premium if it can't be done cheaply enough to replace the current Mini. If there's one thing I would hope of Apple even post-Jobs is that they're not satisfied with the display as is.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Anand has obviously never heard of IZGO display technology,
IGZO, not IZGO.
or that Sharp used it to more than doubled the battery life of their 7" tablet, the Aquos Pad SHT21. No magic required.
No magic required, just doubling the battery size, and moving from a power-wasting Tegra 2 to Snapdragon. It's not like they magically swapped out the display and doubled battery life without any other changes.

If you double the size of the mini's battery, lots of things are possible, too.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I checked out the mini at the apple store today. Definitely screen could be better but that thing is thing of a beauty.

I do love that it stays so cool..(ipad 4 was burning up).. really have to make decision whether to get this for my mother or not..

Once the retina mini comes, I really doubt that anyone is gonna buy regular ipad.(retina or not). That size is perfect.

It just feels like regular ipad is really fat and bulky.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
I checked out the mini at the apple store today. Definitely screen could be better but that thing is thing of a beauty.

I do love that it stays so cool..(ipad 4 was burning up).. really have to make decision whether to get this for my mother or not..

Once the retina mini comes, I really doubt that anyone is gonna buy regular ipad.(retina or not). That size is perfect.

It just feels like regular ipad is really fat and bulky.

iPad Mini may look okay in stores. At home is a different story. It is a common experience with displays.

As devices become more useful the fascination with small wears off when reality sets in. Will happen with small tablets just as it did with phones and netbooks. 8.9" or larger will rule for adults as they slim down.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
iPad Mini may look okay in stores. At home is a different story. It is a common experience with displays.

As devices become more useful the fascination with small wears off when reality sets in. Will happen with small tablets just as it did with phones and netbooks. 8.9" or larger will rule for adults as they slim down.

hmmm ok.. well for me ipad is just too heavy and seem bulky. To each his own but clearly I felt that ipad mini size was fine. I typically use imac for any real work and for something quick or writing, I would use macbook air.. other than that.. phone or small tablet is fine and I prefer ipad mini's size. Overall build I thought was thing of a beauty when compare to other comparable tablet of it's size.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

I use mine at home all the time... and at the gym... looks great. I love it.

I only use my iPad 3 when I leave my iPad mini in my gym bag and am too lazy to get out of bed to grab it. I'm now on 16 days of standby on the iPad 3.

Just cause you dislike the device doesn't mean it's bad. It just means you're intolerant.

And no there mostly likely won't be an iPad Mini... at least not at 324ppi.
It's not cost efficient and a "lower end" model can't outshine the advanced model. That's just bad business...

Making a new resolution though might be the way to go if they do. Maybe they can use the same PPI as the iPad Retina and come up with some sort algorithm that makes the iPad apps work on it.

But as far as a double resolution iPad Mini? Never going to happen.

Last edited:

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I use mine at home all the time... and at the gym... looks great. I love it.

I only use my iPad 3 when I leave my iPad mini in my gym bag and am too lazy to get out of bed to grab it. I'm now on 16 days of standby on the iPad 3.

Just cause you dislike the device doesn't mean it's bad. It just means you're intolerant.

And no there mostly likely won't be an iPad Mini... at least not at 497ppi.
It's not cost efficient and a "lower end" model can't outshine the advanced model. That's just bad business...

Making a new resolution though might be the way to go if they do. Maybe they can use the same PPI as the iPad Retina and come up with some sort algorithm that makes the iPad apps work on it.

But as far as a double resolution iPad Mini? Never going to happen.

A lot of people said the same thing about the any mini ever getting released.

And where'd you pull 497 from?

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Please help me. I don't have a tablet now and I really need one fast. but i only want an ipad mini with retina display. I got a retina macbook pro 15 and I just can't live without retina. Everything else just hurts my eyes. But the thing is too heavy and big to carry around everywhere.

Please I beg of you. help me! i cant wait until october 2013

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
Why is everyone obsessed over the Mini being Retina?

Apple could just improve the resolution (keep the same ratio) and most people won't be able to tell the difference during regular use.

It doesn't have to be all about "Retina" - there is plenty of room for improvement for Apple to make with the Mini's screen while still maintaining margin

Because Retina is everything. It's not just resolution. It's color saturation, black levels, contrast, and being easy on the eyes. I've spent my entire evening in front of my 15" rMBP and I have no eye strain. It's as close to print or e-ink as computers can get. I don't know what it is about cheap displays......flicker? Refresh rate? Whites can be hard to look at for extended periods, even if brightness is reasonable. I'm not saying the iPad 2 or Mini is a cheap display (I'm looking at cheap PCs when I say this), but the retina is new standard.

Bring on the Mini Retina! The size and weight makes it the perfect companion to my rMBP.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm sure it will have a retina display, but when the current Ipad becomes lighter and has that new generation body, what will you chose? Right now a mini with retina would win over a full sized ipad w/ retina.....but next year when the weight and thickness gap shrinks even more, the regular sized ipad will be hard to pass up.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I'm sure it will have a retina display, but when the current Ipad becomes lighter and has that new generation body, what will you chose? Right now a mini with retina would win over a full sized ipad w/ retina.....but next year when the weight and thickness gap shrinks even more, the regular sized ipad will be hard to pass up.

That's just it. It is unlikely that the mini will have a retina display in the next version but the next iPad retina will be slimmer and weigh less. I think I'm gonna get that and alternate updates on the ipads. that way I get a nice upgrade every year on one.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That's just it. It is unlikely that the mini will have a retina display in the next version but the next iPad retina will be slimmer and weigh less. I think I'm gonna get that and alternate updates on the ipads. that way I get a nice upgrade every year on one.

Also, I don't think the mini necessarily needs a retina display, but a display that is better than 1024 x 786. The same goes for the macbook air....it's not 2005

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.