Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
A JB is necessary for multiple reasons if you're aware of the abundant flaws and shortcomings in the software,

But for sounds it enables you to download an infinite number of third party sounds

Seriously, man. You do not need to JB to add sounds. You need iTunes.

I use 3 different ringtones for calls, and various sounds for the other notifications. All 3 ringtones I created (adjusting existing audio to what I want) and installed, all before I JBed the phone.

My phone sounds are generally on, except in meetings or other places it must be quiet. In those places, sometimes I use vibrate, but I often don't hear/feel the vibrate, so it isn't very useful to me. I use the phone as my alarm clock, so sounds are on for night, too. And I would want to get any calls in the middle of the night, they would be emergencies, so definitely on.

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
I have mine on silent except for phone calls

At night I turn the switch to silence everything

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
A JB is necessary for multiple reasons if you're aware of the abundant flaws and shortcomings in the software,

But for sounds it enables you to download an infinite number of third party sounds

I JB mine as soon as an unteatherd one is avaliable for the ios i am running so yes i know "why" someone would JB. Just not sure why it is needed to customize ring tones.

But to each his own, just did not want someone new to iPhone reading this post and think they need to JB just to change their ring tone.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
How about the guy who could answer his iPhone quickly when it rings with a customized ringtone but rather waits a pause or two so those around can "enjoy" the sound of their ringing phone before answering it?

Silence, more times than not, is golden.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
A JB is necessary for multiple reasons if you're aware of the abundant flaws and shortcomings in the software

True, but that's outside the realm of this discussion. We were under the impression you thought a JB was necessary to get third-party ringtones.

I have tons of third-party ringtones on my iPhone, no jailbreak. Are you maybe trying to say that it allows you to play formats other than .m4r for ringtones?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Seriously, man. You do not need to JB to add sounds. You need iTunes.

I use 3 different ringtones for calls, and various sounds for the other notifications. All 3 ringtones I created (adjusting existing audio to what I want) and installed, all before I JBed the phone.

My phone sounds are generally on, except in meetings or other places it must be quiet. In those places, sometimes I use vibrate, but I often don't hear/feel the vibrate, so it isn't very useful to me. I use the phone as my alarm clock, so sounds are on for night, too. And I would want to get any calls in the middle of the night, they would be emergencies, so definitely on.

I was told a while back that there was no way to turn off or change the "swoop" sound it makes when you send a text

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Most of the time unless I'm just sitting at home with no one really around. It would get annoying if all of my friends had the volume on and we hear phones non stop.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I was told a while back that there was no way to turn off or change the "swoop" sound it makes when you send a text

Ok, yes. That sound is not on Apple's list to change in Settings. Early on you were talking about ringtones, which are only limited by your imagination and the storage space in the phone.

And I am JBed, too. Definitely worth it.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
I keep my iPhone 5 on silent but vibrate. That way I won't completely miss all the action but still won't here the annoyance of a text or call.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I use Do Not Disturb at night and occasionally use Silent when I'm in a place where a phone should not ring (i.e. movies, critical meeting, etc.) Otherwise I let my phone ring and vibrate like normal.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Mine is on silent out of courtesy to others. When I'm out shopping I'll have it on vibrate, and out to eat it's silent because I have it in sight anyways.
I can't stand people who have the sounds on in public. It's very rude and people were fine before cell phones, and they vibrate for a reason.

ForceGhost

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Bournemouth, UK
Mine never comes off silent. Mainly because i don't like talking to people but also...

I check my phone often so any missed calls are usually caught up on quickly.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Are you all saying your phones are on silent all day or just on vibrate? I couldn't imagine my phone being silent all day. Vibrate only makes more sense.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
When in a meeting yes, otherwise no. Nor do I carry it in a pocket.

My daughter keeps hers on silent and I simply chuckle at her when she misplaces it and calling it provides no help. :)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
speaking of the silent switch, is anyone else confused?

like when i put it on silent, some games or youtube videos still play sound. isnt that what the silent switch is for?

i'm always scared to use my phone during lectures because it already happened a few times that the angry bird would suddenly start screaming :D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
speaking of the silent switch, is anyone else confused?

like when i put it on silent, some games or youtube videos still play sound. isnt that what the silent switch is for?

i'm always scared to use my phone during lectures because it already happened a few times that the angry bird would suddenly start screaming :D
That's why you are worried about playing games during class? K.

You should assume it mutes Phone Ring and Notifications, nothing else. http://artoftheiphone.com/2012/02/10/basics-what-does-the-iphone-ringer-switch-mute-and-not-mute/ Note this says that game music is muted, but not sound effects. That may be the most confusing part, and it also depends on developers to follow the rules about music.

I tend to keep the general volume control, which controls game and music volume, at or near zero. I usually play games with no volume, so I want it there or close to turn down quickly.

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Mine is always on silent as well, I even use a silent ringtone just in case. Vibrate works for me.

mokeiko

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.