Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romanhdz

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
I recently bought the 15 in. MacBook Pro with retina, and I absolutely love that thing. I'm a second year college student, and although a 13 inch would be more convenient in regards to portability, I have no problem whatsoever lugging around my laptop when I need to. It fits nicely in my average-sized backpack, and I don't mind the small weight increase.

I would definitely suggest you go and check them out in person before you make a purchase, but I have no regrets whatsoever with my 15 inch.

Happy shopping, and good luck with school.

Kizzaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Australia
I have checked them out in store, I had so much trouble deciding... I left before the apple staff inclined me to get the 13 inch RMBP. Although it's nice and smaller, I want hardware more than capable of pushing out the pixels... the Intel HD 4000 struggles. :(

Thanks for the insight! :)

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I'm undergraduate for Pre-Med and I got the Retina. It's just much easier on the eyes for me and looks beautiful. Build quality is nice, just make sure you get the Samsung screen. First day I got my Retina it was a LG, went back an hour later and swapped. Samsung on the second try ;)

romanhdz

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
I use my 15 inch in the "integrated graphics" mode all the time, and the only time I notice small lag would be when switching from one space to another, and I tend to upscale my resolution to 1920 x 1200. I also game somewhat often (nothing major, mostly Minecraft), and I consistently get 60+ fps in full-screen with decent settings on integrated graphics.

Kizzaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Australia
I use my 15 inch in the "integrated graphics" mode all the time, and the only time I notice small lag would be when switching from one space to another, and I tend to upscale my resolution to 1920 x 1200. I also game somewhat often (nothing major, mostly Minecraft), and I consistently get 60+ fps in full-screen with decent settings on integrated graphics.

That's interesting, it makes me question the suitability of the 13" RMBP. Hmm..

Maggot FF

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I use my rMBP for business school, and the space I get to work with is awesome. I often need multiple documents open at once, and being able to read all of them clearly at once is a great treat. I also do some photo/video editing and some gaming, and this does it all with great ease. Of course some games won't play at native res and ultra settings, but I don't play those games on a laptop anyway. :p

And by the by, I run mine mostly on integrated too, at least when not at home, and I very rarely get minimal lag. Most of the time it's as smooth as os x has been on every other machine, so the 13" should be fine. I think the amount of lag varies widely, leading me to think the lag is software related. I've seen a lot with lag, and a lot without. And I'm very picky about stuff like this. Like... ocd-picky. :p

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
A 15" rMBP for law school? Hell no. The 15' is meant for design, video and photography professionals. You have no use for that kind of power in law school. You'll never use it. Good lord, just get a 13" or MB Air. Do not waste money on things you don't need.

Kizzaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Australia
I'll admit it's overpower, but the desktop realestate it offers is fantastic! A macbook air would be ideal for lectures, but not for assignments and reading at home. In terms of portability, i'm still not sure if it would fit comfortably on the lecture tables...

Joseph Farrugia

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Malta (EU)
Retina Macbook Pro 15" for Law School = overkill.

Unless you are using the rMBP for other power-intensive tasks such as heavy image editing or video encoding, you can easily get something cheaper, like a MBA or a used/refurb MBP.

harry454

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
A 15" rMBP for law school? Hell no. The 15' is meant for design, video and photography professionals. You have no use for that kind of power in law school. You'll never use it. Good lord, just get a 13" or MB Air. Do not waste money on things you don't need.

Retina Macbook Pro 15" for Law School = overkill.

Unless you are using the rMBP for other power-intensive tasks such as heavy image editing or video encoding, you can easily get something cheaper, like a MBA or a used/refurb MBP.

Yes power wise it is overkill, but for the screen real-estate and the crispness of the text its viable for Law School. You will be doing lotssss of reading, and Retina certainly helps for that. If you have the funds go for it.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I'll admit it's overpower, but the desktop realestate it offers is fantastic! A macbook air would be ideal for lectures, but not for assignments and reading at home. In terms of portability, i'm still not sure if it would fit comfortably on the lecture tables...

Personally, I would stick to a 13" Air or rMBP and an external thunderbolt display. If the bulk of your assignments and reading is going to be done at home then this is the best fit. I purchased the 15" rMBP back in June and found it took up too much desk space in class, especially on those tiny desks in some lecture halls.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone could tell me if the Retina Macbook Po 15" would be suitable for law school. I'm just concerned with regard to portability, ive never had a previous Macbook. Any insight you guys can give? Thanks in advance.

Overkill.

Get the base 13" MBP with an external display and call it a day.

liVec

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I personally don't understand why would you include "law school" in the topic if you simply just wanted approval from others to buy 15 inch rMBP (no offense here). I mean, for law school, MBA is the perfect choice. Light, extremely great battery life, what else could you need for studying law? Movies once in a while is absolutely possible on an Air. If it's law school/gaming here and there - get 15 rMBP.

Personally I don't see the use of 13 inch rMBP - heavier than Air, still less power than 15 inch rMBP...

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Buy a under $1000 PC (Samsung Series 9, ASUS Zenbook, Sony VAIO, etc) and install MS Office.

No need to pay a premium for a MBP, since all you really need is research (internet and online library access) and homework assignments.

Dont get me wrong, the MBP is a nice EXPENSIVE computer, not better than a similar spec PC, just different with OSX.

Using MS Office on my NEW cMBP 15", is really no different than my Win 8 Sony.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Thanks guys, I have no issues with money.
Spoken like a true attorney. :D

Portability and suitability were my cheif concerns. It is overkill I agree, but I do like a bit of gaming here and there. :p Thanks guys!
Then your thread title should read, "Lawyering and Gaming".

Gaming is a whole new area when it comes to MBP's. In my opinion, the 15" MBP has the graphics but is not portable for students. I repeat... it's not a travel machine.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
]
Personally I don't see the use of 13 inch rMBP - heavier than Air, still less power than 15 inch rMBP...

Umm...you get a retina screen and the portability of a 13" notebook.

Buy a under $1000 PC (Samsung Series 9, ASUS Zenbook, Sony VAIO, etc) and install MS Office.

No need to pay a premium for a MBP, since all you really need is research (internet and online library access) and homework assignments.

Dont get me wrong, the MBP is a nice EXPENSIVE computer, not better than a similar spec PC, just different with OSX.

Using MS Office on my NEW cMBP 15", is really no different than my Win 8 Sony.

Are you seriously going to come to a mac forum and boast about how the OP should get a PC??? :eek:

----------

"Lawyering and Gaming".

Definitely a suitable description of the trade, lol ;)

mushtama

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
I'm not a law student but I use a 13" MBP which I then plug into my dad's old 22" LCD monitor. This gives me best of both worlds - small laptop for lectures/travelling, and then a big screen for home use.

I personally think that the 13" MPB is all a student needs (if all you're going to be doing is writing essays, viewing power-points/ PDFs etc.) as it gives more bang for your buck than an Air, as long as you don't mind the "extra weight" the MPB has.

If you don't want an external monitor and money is no issue then obviously the best laptop to get is the 15" rMPB!

Last edited:

ethereal45

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
As a student, I don't regret spending the extra cash for the rMBP 15"

Do whatever you think YOU will benefit the most from.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I am a grad student in atmos science and did my undergrad in mech engineering

I used an emac from 2003-2006
A 13 MacBook coreduo from 2006-2010
A 13 MacBook core2duo from 2010-2012
A 13 base mbp from 2012 to present

I love the 13 in screen and I have always had more than enough computer during my time as an undergrad and grad student. When at home I have a dual monitor setup

I am of the opinion a 15 rmbp is excessive for anyone in school, regardless of stage, as far as actual computer needs go but if one can afford one, by all means

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.