Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
I received a ridiculous email from someone purporting to be a hitman who has been paid to kill me. The email has a lot of melodrama that's obviously been cribbed from a lot of bad movies. For a number of reasons, it's obviously fake, but it's the first I've seen of this.

My questions to you folks are:

... Has anyone else received spam like this?
... Is this the next Nigerian prince nonsense?

mt

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I received a ridiculous email from someone purporting to be a hitman who has been paid to kill me. The email has a lot of melodrama that's obviously been cribbed from a lot of bad movies. For a number of reasons, it's obviously fake, but it's the first I've seen of this.

My questions to you folks are:

... Has anyone else received spam like this?
... Is this the next Nigerian prince nonsense?

mt

Whether it's fake or not I'd still report it to the authorities.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Whether it's fake or not I'd still report it to the authorities.

Over spam? Bah, hit the thumbsdown button in mail and move on with your life. Google it and you'll see other examples. I know another person on the forums had posted about it.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Over spam? Bah, hit the thumbsdown button in mail and move on with your life. Google it and you'll see other examples. I know another person on the forums had posted about it.

Good idea!

The spam filter will certainly protect you if some nutcase has sent a real threat. That spam filter can tell a real threat from a false threat. Those spam filters are psychic, and never ever make any mistakes.

Great advice...

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Ill go with the slightly friendly version of this...

Attachments

• cant-tell-if-trolling-or-serious-thumb.jpg.png
    cant-tell-if-trolling-or-serious-thumb.jpg.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 159

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I received a ridiculous email from someone purporting to be a hitman who has been paid to kill me. The email has a lot of melodrama that's obviously been cribbed from a lot of bad movies.

You having an affair? Be careful, or you might have to give up your day job at the CIA....

:)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
What Koodauw said is right.

Report it as phishing, or spam if you don't have this option, but disregard it and move on. You aren't going to get very far with just the one e-mail in your hand, but a company like Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft will since they have many of the same wording coming from different directions, and they have been very successful in stopping various types of spam hitting our inbox that used to a few years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.