Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pauluss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Hi people,
My iPhone 5 is damaged because I had my bumper on it. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 593

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
They both look trashed. You must be rough on your phone. That bumper must be really good or your phone would be broken not just cosmetically damaged. :)

Pauluss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I never take of the bumper, this is the first time, and I've never dropt my iPhone. I am very careful with my iPhone . Does anyone has a solution ? And yes don't buy a bumper !

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
and how expensive replacement would be? Btw my English is bad.

In the United States I believe it would be $200 USD.

You mention that your English is bad. That leads me to believe you may not reside in the United States. So you price may be different.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
If that bumper was on since day one, and u never dropped it, then it's not the bumper that's bad. It's the coating. No way that a bumper would cause that damage.

----------

And I think apple will exchange it with no question as long as that coating comes off easily.

Pauluss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
But the problem is, i live in The netherlands and we have 1 Apple store and that is on the other side of the country.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yes, some bumpers can cause damage like that. Fine particles of grit can find their way under the bumper between it and the phone, resulting in minute scratches.

That's damage caused by the dirt particles, not bumper alone. Unless the OP went to the beach and got sand all over the place, it looks like the culprit is defective anodized coating considering the OP is "very careful with (his) iPhone." There's no way any bumper by itself on the market would cause that damage to properly applied anodized coating.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
That's damage caused by the dirt particles, not bumper alone. Unless the OP went to the beach and got sand all over the place, it looks like the culprit is defective anodized coating considering the OP is "very careful with (his) iPhone." There's no way any bumper by itself on the market would cause that damage to properly applied anodized coating.

Please read my post! I said "Fine particles of grit can find their way under the bumper between it and the phone, resulting in minute scratches."

One doesn't have to go to the beach to pick up grit! Fine particles are everywhere - in one's pockets etc.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Please read my post! I said "Fine particles of grit can find their way under the bumper between it and the phone, resulting in minute scratches."

One doesn't have to go to the beach to pick up grit! Fine particles are everywhere - in one's pockets etc.

Yes, but not to the extent of damage shown in the OP as they're certainly not "minute scratches" caused by fine particles of grit. My money is on defective anodized coating.

Pauluss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I am 15 years old and have many saved for the iphone, why would i not be careful with thuis expensive phone?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
This is primarily caused by the poor manufacturing by Apple, not so much you being not careful.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Yes, some bumpers can cause damage like that. Fine particles of grit can find their way under the bumper between it and the phone, resulting in minute scratches.

Not damage like in his picture. And usually scratches and nics from bumpers come from taking them on and off. if it was from the bumper, he would've had to been rolling around in a sandbox for a week straight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.